Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 10:54 AM

50,750 posts, read 36,458,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
The frame size has no effect on trigger pull. That is a function of the internal fire control parts and springs. Trigger pull weight and smoothness is something that can easily be addressed by a competent gunsmith if the factory trigger pull is unsuitable.

Well maybe I don't understand the logic of buying a gun I don't know if I'll be able to do double action on, when there is one that I can. What is the advantage of the other guns over the Kimber that I should consider them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 01:19 PM

828 posts, read 465,550 times
What it boils down to is what feels good to you right now. Once you have your own revolver you will "get used" to some things you might not really like so in one respect not knowing anything about this is not a bad thing.
I agree semi-autos can be subject to jamming with different mfgrs. ammo. People will say "oh just take it to a competent gunsmith." but that's too much liability when you're trying to convince 12 jurors you did the right thing and they know nothing of guns and very little of mechanics. In their minds if it was modified is was "souped up". That's just the way it is. There's too much emotion associated with firearms to risk presenting a cogent and rational defense to prosecution using a modified firearm.

Old Yesterday, 01:47 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amil23 View Post
People will say "oh just take it to a competent gunsmith." but that's too much liability when you're trying to convince 12 jurors you did the right thing and they know nothing of guns and very little of mechanics. In their minds if it was modified is was "souped up". That's just the way it is. There's too much emotion associated with firearms to risk presenting a cogent and rational defense to prosecution using a modified firearm.
People keep saying that, but when has it actually happened, when it hasn't been a clearly nefarious modification? A gun expert can easily expel those issues.

Old Yesterday, 08:17 PM

10,730 posts, read 5,664,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Well maybe I don't understand the logic of buying a gun I don't know if I'll be able to do double action on, when there is one that I can. What is the advantage of the other guns over the Kimber that I should consider them?
I was simply addressing the frame size/trigger pull issue.

Old Yesterday, 08:19 PM

10,730 posts, read 5,664,235 times
Quote:
What it boils down to is what feels good to you right now. Once you have your own revolver you will "get used" to some things you might not really like so in one respect not knowing anything about this is not a bad thing.
I agree semi-autos can be subject to jamming with different mfgrs. ammo. People will say "oh just take it to a competent gunsmith." but that's too much liability when you're trying to convince 12 jurors you did the right thing and they know nothing of guns and very little of mechanics. In their minds if it was modified is was "souped up". That's just the way it is. There's too much emotion associated with firearms to risk presenting a cogent and rational defense to prosecution using a modified firearm.
Can you link to some cases where that’s been an issue? And decided against one who had gunsmith work done on their gun?

Old Yesterday, 09:53 PM

828 posts, read 465,550 times
Well, right now there's that actor Alex Baldwin, who, if he hadn't been holding a modified revolver might not be in the mess he is in right now. At least I read early on that it had trigger work done. Whatever happened there, it was an industrial accident the same as someone passing a defective safety harness or accidentally hooking up nitrogen to a breathing air header.
But New Mexico has done back-flips to get this guy and that kid "armorer" back into court and have them convicted of manslaughter, I think because a "gun" was involved.
Look. I am a fervent gun owner and a pure Second Amendment supporter but when you're facing 12 dummies who don't know the front from the back, which is what will happen through voir-dire, you're gonna get burned. It's not worth the risk. If you're in a self defense situation at home all you need to know how to do is point and shoot.

I have been advised by a lawyer guest of the gun club I once belonged to not to use reloads and can conclude from that one is better sticking to a factory firearm with factory loads.
I've seen some vids from 2A lawyers on YT cautioning people about letting it be known they spend a lot of time at the range practicing. It's just the way it is now days. The law doesn't matter as much as people's feelings about what happened.
People are going to do what they're going to do. I just put this out there as something to seriously consider.
I'm not trying to quarrel. I just wanted ocnjgrl to consider putting someone down in your home to save your life is not the end, it's the beginning.

I apologize if I've offended anyone.

I'm going to bow out. You guys have a really lively thread here that is helping ocnjgrl and I would feel real bad if I typed something that caused it to get locked. Good Night all!

Last edited by amil23; Yesterday at 10:30 PM..

Old Today, 01:58 AM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
Well, right now there's that actor Alex Baldwin, who, if he hadn't been holding a modified revolver might not be in the mess he is in right now.

At least I read early on that it had trigger work done. Whatever happened there, it was an industrial accident the same as someone passing a defective safety harness or accidentally hooking up nitrogen to a breathing air header.
But New Mexico has done back-flips to get this guy and that kid "armorer" back into court and have them convicted of manslaughter, I think because a "gun" was involved.
"Modified gun" is not a component of the charges against Baldwin (nor against the armorer, which would have been very relevant in her case), so it's not an example of your point. In fact, it's a reverse example.

Quote:
I've seen some vids from 2A lawyers on YT cautioning people about letting it be known they spend a lot of time at the range practicing. It's just the way it is now days. The law doesn't matter as much as people's feelings about what happened.
Links to those videos on YT?

I've been told by lawyers that if all your modifications and training can be explained by an expert to have improved the reliability and safety of the gun and your ability to handle it, then that will be beneficial to your case.

The law does matter, and the judge will so advise the jury.

Yes, we are trying to help the OP, and that includes not raising false fear.

Last edited by Ralph_Kirk; Today at 02:11 AM..

Old Today, 07:34 AM

24,519 posts, read 10,846,327 times
Quote:
Well, right now there's that actor Alex Baldwin, who, if he hadn't been holding a modified revolver might not be in the mess he is in right now. At least I read early on that it had trigger work done. Whatever happened there, it was an industrial accident the same as someone passing a defective safety harness or accidentally hooking up nitrogen to a breathing air header.
Whatever happened there is up to the legal system to decide. Personally I would not consider the armorer a kid.

Quote:
Look. I am a fervent gun owner and a pure Second Amendment supporter but when you're facing 12 dummies who don't know the front from the back, which is what will happen through voir-dire, you're gonna get burned. It's not worth the risk. If you're in a self defense situation at home all you need to know how to do is point and shoot.
A bit paranoid?

Quote:
I have been advised by a lawyer guest of the gun club I once belonged to not to use reloads and can conclude from that one is better sticking to a factory firearm with factory loads.
Gun club guests working in the legal field and UTube make great legal advisors.
Factory loads would put many shooters into the poor house in no time.

Quote:
People are going to do what they're going to do. I just put this out there as I'm not trying to quarrel. I just wanted ocnjgrl to consider putting someone down in your home to save your life is not the end, it's the beginning.I apologize if I've offended anyone.
You posted your personal opinion which I disagree with. The term "putting someone down" is a bit offensive. To follow your lead - predmidating what to do with a potential intruder?

Quote:
I'm going to bow out. You guys have a really lively thread here that is helping ocnjgrl and I would feel real bad if I typed something that caused it to get locked. Good Night all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement