Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2015, 08:55 AM

15,689 posts, read 10,479,519 times

Advertisements

Some older woman may have borderline underlying health issues that aren't addressed by their physicians: hypothyroid issues, depression, prediabetes, etc. Also, menopause can cause many fluctuations in hormones that cause havoc with emotions and bodies. How we feel physically is often reflected in how we feel about our appearance, in my opinion.

That being said, I think a short, styled hairstyle is much more attractive than a long, stringy hairstyle on a woman of any age. We all work with what we got! Some don't have the hair thickness to pull off long hair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2015, 09:00 AM

31,696 posts, read 41,160,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I am finding that the older I get the less vanity I have, so I can see why many older women keep their hair short because they don't really care what they look like. I think I used to be attractive, but I don't think I'm aging very well. Sometimes I am tempted to just go with whatever is easiest, since it doesn't really matter.
Don't sell yourself short. Men comfortable with their aging I don't think are as picky about woman showing their maturity and I think that is part of the sell for short hair on woman post menopause plus. It reflects a growing maturity and not aging. Men have the advantage in this society since it suggest/ thinks we wear gray well and we well might. Woman can shorten their hair and reject that whimsical young girl look and project a mature woman in personality and life. Dang I like that thought.

Last edited by TuborgP; 10-20-2015 at 09:26 AM..

Old 10-20-2015, 09:09 AM

6,421 posts, read 11,638,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I'm over 65, and my hair is very short and has been for the past 20 years. I have never been mistaken for a man and my husband loves it. But bottom line is, I have more important things to be concerned with than what someone else thinks, particularly when that "someone" is on an internet forum and in all likelihood thinks his comb over looks sexy.
I have shoulder-length hair, and I'm often mistaken for a man. I'm tall, wear gender-neutral clothes, and my facial features aren't particularly feminine. Hair length makes no difference.

Old 10-20-2015, 09:18 AM

2,032 posts, read 3,221,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Don't sell yourself short. Men comfortable with their aging I don't think are as picky about woman showing their maturity and I think that is part of the sell for short hair on woman post menopause plus. It reflects a growing maturity and not aging. Men have the advantage in that society thinks we wear gray well and we well might. Woman can shorten your hair and reject that whimsical young girl look and project a mature woman in personality and life. Dang I like that thought.
This is spot on! I can't give you any more reps so this will have to do ... ok, need to get back to work

Old 10-20-2015, 09:45 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,352,317 times
to me it is a conventional wisdom that hairdressers and stylists put forward. I no longer buy into that. A bob or a pixie cut may not be the most attractive for older women although I agree long lanky hair does not agree either.

After paying out the gazoo to keep the short cut properly feathered and dressed; I am now letting it grow and am wearing it in an updo or ponytail. Looks just as good as the other and pulls the eye up.

Old 10-20-2015, 10:00 AM

50,526 posts, read 64,490,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
to me it is a conventional wisdom that hairdressers and stylists put forward. I no longer buy into that. A bob or a pixie cut may not be the most attractive for older women although I agree long lanky hair does not agree either.

After paying out the gazoo to keep the short cut properly feathered and dressed; I am now letting it grow and am wearing it in an updo or ponytail. Looks just as good as the other and pulls the eye up.
I know, right? I like being able to put my hair in a ponytail, and I'd miss that if my hair was short.

Old 10-20-2015, 10:10 AM

22,128 posts, read 13,271,045 times
Men almost universally prefer long hair -- or at least SOME hair -- on a woman, but we women reach an age when we really don't care what men think or at least aren't going to go out of our way just to please or attract them. That said, wondering about human behavior -- even that of a stranger -- is perfectly legit on this forum! Mine is currently halfway down my thigh, which is ridiculous for a woman my age (late 50s) and, yes, it's turning silver. So I'll be chopping it all off when I retire to symbolize my freedom! It's a pain to deal with, and I just wear it twisted up in a claw 99.9% of the time, so it might as well be short already. I do think it's unfortunate that anyone might assume I'm gay as a result (I'm not), but oh well! I'll most likely let it grow out again after that dramatic move, as I do like having it long enough to do different things with when it's shoulder-length or so.

Old 10-20-2015, 10:12 AM

15,164 posts, read 12,328,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I saw another one today. A lady about my age that cut most of her hair off. It was no more than an inch long all over her head. I don't get it? IMHO, it certainly doesn't make them more attractive. Yet I see women who do this who obviously do other things and spend money to make themselves look better, but then cut their hair mostly off. I didn't think hair was that big a maint. thing. Maybe the ladies can explain?
I think it's strictly for the convenience of not having much hair to care for. Although I have occasionally seen ladies whose hair has become extremely thin, who get their hair cut that short.

Old 10-20-2015, 10:20 AM

10,218 posts, read 7,657,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I saw another one today. A lady about my age that cut most of her hair off. It was no more than an inch long all over her head. I don't get it? IMHO, it certainly doesn't make them more attractive. Yet I see women who do this who obviously do other things and spend money to make themselves look better, but then cut their hair mostly off. I didn't think hair was that big a maint. thing. Maybe the ladies can explain?
It's probably a pixie cut. That is a cut that has existed for women for many many years. However, I agree with you that except on a very few people, it is MOST unflattering. Jamie Lee Curtis can pull it off, but not many others.

They probably do it for ease of care. They merely have to wash and maybe condition it. No curling it, setting it, styling it, spraying it. So that's a cut for someone whose focus in life has shifted from appearance to tasks. She is more concerned about the things she does, the people she knows, and hte like, rather than looking sexy or appealing (which is hard to pull off when you're older, anyway).

I personally think that long hair is the easiest to maintain. No setting it or anything, and just put it up in a loose bun during the day. You have to get it cut rarely, if at all. Both the pixie and the bun can look aging, depending on the woman, the clothing, the bun style. But at least the bun is more feminine.

Old 10-20-2015, 10:20 AM

22,128 posts, read 13,271,045 times
And, yeah, what a lot of defensiveness in this thread! "Methinks the ladies doth protest too much..."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement