Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2015, 01:28 PM

208 posts, read 257,762 times

Advertisements

I think maybe the OP was attempting to make a valid point about the unusual frequency or prevalence of this type of haircut among older ladies rather than just reporting on the lack of attractiveness of it. When you think about it, women love to wear their hair long when they are young, so why then do a 360 degree and cut everything off? I don't entirely agree that these "crew cuts" are merely about convenience. Personally I think it's about older ladies trying not to stand out from other ladies in their social circle. I sat behind 2 rows of older ladies at a show and noticed that they all had the same short or crew cut hairdo, all were wearing small to moderate sized hoop earrings (gold ones) and most were wearing glasses. They all were wearing similar outfits--generally loose fitting, 3/4 sleeved blouses in bright prints over a top. No variety at all. Why? My theory is that these older ladies mostly all lost their spouses and are probably afraid that if they step a bit out of the "pack" and are a little different, the other ladies will ostracize them from the social circle. I certainly think that's a possibility.

I think it's true that wearing your hair however you want it is your business and no one else's but I think it's an interesting concept that very short hair or crew cuts do seem unusually prevalent among older ladies.

If I look around my workplace (age range 30-70), I see a wide range of hairstyles, but in general most of the women do not have crew cuts or very short hair. Personally I like my hair to fall about mid-neck. Longer than chin but not to shoulders (I'm 60-ish). I don't feel short hair is necessarily easier to take care of. For me it's harder to take care of, my hair doesn't adapt well to being short, it's kinkier when shorter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2015, 02:08 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,965,744 times
One more thought about hair...

We naturally have a highly subjective preference as to how we want to wear our hair, including how long or short. What some of us often don't realize, objectively, is that a certain cut doesn't really look that good on us as we age. I see older women in long hair or very short hair not very complimentary to our faces at the current age.

Old 10-20-2015, 02:14 PM

1,914 posts, read 2,242,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I saw another one today. A lady about my age that cut most of her hair off. It was no more than an inch long all over her head. I don't get it? IMHO, it certainly doesn't make them more attractive. Yet I see women who do this who obviously do other things and spend money to make themselves look better, but then cut their hair mostly off. I didn't think hair was that big a maint. thing. Maybe the ladies can explain?
I'm one of those horrible women with short hair you find so objectionable.

I don't need your approval, I don't owe you an explanation, and I don't give a rat's ass what you think.

If you don't like the way I look, find something else to look at.

Old 10-20-2015, 02:26 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,663,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisy2010 View Post
I think maybe the OP was attempting to make a valid point about the unusual frequency or prevalence of this type of haircut among older ladies rather than just reporting on the lack of attractiveness of it. When you think about it, women love to wear their hair long when they are young, so why then do a 360 degree and cut everything off? I don't entirely agree that these "crew cuts" are merely about convenience. Personally I think it's about older ladies trying not to stand out from other ladies in their social circle. I sat behind 2 rows of older ladies at a show and noticed that they all had the same short or crew cut hairdo, all were wearing small to moderate sized hoop earrings (gold ones) and most were wearing glasses. They all were wearing similar outfits--generally loose fitting, 3/4 sleeved blouses in bright prints over a top. No variety at all. Why? My theory is that these older ladies mostly all lost their spouses and are probably afraid that if they step a bit out of the "pack" and are a little different, the other ladies will ostracize them from the social circle. I certainly think that's a possibility.

I think it's true that wearing your hair however you want it is your business and no one else's but I think it's an interesting concept that very short hair or crew cuts do seem unusually prevalent among older ladies.

If I look around my workplace (age range 30-70), I see a wide range of hairstyles, but in general most of the women do not have crew cuts or very short hair. Personally I like my hair to fall about mid-neck. Longer than chin but not to shoulders (I'm 60-ish). I don't feel short hair is necessarily easier to take care of. For me it's harder to take care of, my hair doesn't adapt well to being short, it's kinkier when shorter.

I really don't agree with this. I think the buzz cut (not pixi(ish) ) has filtered down (or up) from the younger set. And like many current trends, from women of color.

I wasn't kidding when I said I would do it if I could pull it off. I think it would be soooo easy to live with. I would have beautiful hats and earrings.

But all of our opinions are valid. Thank goodness. Even the OP, who I think just wants women to look the way they have always looked. I can remember how my dad felt about long hair on boys in the 60s

Old 10-20-2015, 02:34 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,397,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeriously View Post
These posts where we opine about another woman's looks are pathetic. Yes, our way is the right way, yes we were all cute as buttons in our youth... and then in an other post we whine about how we can't make friends at this age! Really!

Well, I think I look HOT whatever my age

Old 10-20-2015, 02:37 PM

7,116 posts, read 12,657,474 times
Oh my gosh, I think older women with short hair-cuts look a billion times more attractive than men in the same age group with a comb-over...those comb-overs are so ludicrous to me. who are they fooling? Buzz it off, gentlemen! Or not...gives us all something to ponder--especially in a breeze.

Old 10-20-2015, 02:41 PM

12,061 posts, read 10,266,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisy2010 View Post

Eh - they probably all shop at the same place.

Someone mentioned hormonal changes. And I don't know how old you are, but it can get bad. The heat waves, the sweating, the just want to take off all your clothes and cut off your hair. Its nuts.

Yeah, my older sisters wear those print 3/4 sleeve tops with black or brown pants - no skirts at all. That is a route I refuse to take - but who knows - never say never.

And capris with sneakers - no way Jose - not even jeans with sneakers. No capris at all as a matter of fact.

Old 10-20-2015, 03:56 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,468,022 times
In the 19 years we've been married my wife has changed hairstyles a number of times. It was shoulder length when we married and now is quite a bit shorter. Before changing hairstyles she's always bounced them off me as a courtesy and I've always told her to do what will make her comfortable and feeling pretty. She has and I've never been disappointed. Her hair. Her choice.

By the same token, after getting my hair cut I walked out and said to her that for 2¢ I'd just get it buzzed off before I ended up in comb-over jeopardy. She said, "Do it!" I turned around, walked back in and had it done. I've kept it that way ever since. She likes it and so do I.

In guess this means we're simpatico.

Old 10-20-2015, 04:09 PM

7,708 posts, read 5,449,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Looks a heck of a lot better than some 60 year old woman who wears her grey/white hair the same length as if she were 25-30.
To each her own:

Old 10-20-2015, 04:15 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,144,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
We woke up one day and said, "Why do men get the easy haircuts and the comfortable shoes?"

Then we said, "I don't care if anyone thinks I look sexy anymore! I want quick grooming and comfort, too! Beauty be damned! It's too much work and it hurts!"
I'll buy this! I truly begrudge the time I spend every day on my hair. I wish I could have every minute back; I imagine I would have a couple or three years.

But many of the women I see with the short haircuts look great to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement