Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2019, 02:54 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,609,892 times

Advertisements

I’m curious how long it took for people here to retire.

I’m slogging along and going through the motions of work, but unless I find a way to drastically increase my income (to save more) or become way more frugal (I overspend on food despite wanting to spend less on food), I’m looking at working another 39 years till I can finally retire at 62. Granted, I have untreatable chronic depression, so doing the minimum to not get fired is always a struggle, but I take solace in that if I persevere long enough, I’ll retire and can finally just do what I want—chill out on a beach, swim, and sunbathe—and maybe pick my creative hobbies back up I’ve been too stressed out from work to even think about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2019, 03:05 PM

12,065 posts, read 10,340,527 times
So you are 23? If you would have joined the military at 18 or even 17 - you could have "retired" at 37 or 38!

Might not be rich, but at least a steady income and health care.

But keep on keeping on. Maybe find another career path.

Maybe think of a job is just something you do to pay the bills - enjoy the other parts of your life.

Old 04-21-2019, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
So you are 23? If you would have joined the military at 18 or even 17 - you could have "retired" at 37 or 38!

Might not be rich, but at least a steady income and health care.

But keep on keeping on. Maybe find another career path.

Maybe think of a job is just something you do to pay the bills - enjoy the other parts of your life.
I fell into the scholarship trap. I earned a merit scholarship and got a pretty much useless generalist degree (long story), but I’ve at least gotten a public school teaching job with a pension plan. Its better than other work I’ve done, but I got a bad observation back in february and this school isn’t renewing my contract for next year, though they said they would give me a good letter of recommendation to go to another school, so its not all bad, though I worry about keeping working long enough to retire.

I was on disability for a short time die to a childhood injury and emotional problems (disqualified me from military), but it was only $400 a month and I really need at least $3000 a month (I make $4000 a month minus taxes right now) to pay my expenses.

What’s really disheartening is I don’t think my emotional issues will ever go away since I’ve spent years and thousands of dollars trying to fix them and they also make life a lot harder.

EDIT: Calling the general studies degree completely useless is a little harsh since my employer only cared about somebody having a degree, not which degree they had, and this job pays better than any other job I’ve had, even if it only covers the minimum plus another $500, which I squander most of on my appetite for binge eating—which is a bad habit I can’t seem to break.

Old 04-21-2019, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
I fell into the scholarship trap. I earned a merit scholarship and got a pretty much useless generalist degree (long story), but I’ve at least gotten a public school teaching job with a pension plan. Its better than other work I’ve done, but I got a bad observation back in february and this school isn’t renewing my contract for next year, though they said they would give me a good letter of recommendation to go to another school, so its not all bad, though I worry about keeping working long enough to retire.

I was on disability for a short time die to a childhood injury and emotional problems (disqualified me from military), but it was only $400 a month and I really need at least $3000 a month (I make $4000 a month minus taxes right now) to pay my expenses.

What’s really disheartening is I don’t think my emotional issues will ever go away since I’ve spent years and thousands of dollars trying to fix them and they also make life a lot harder.

EDIT: Calling the general studies degree completely useless is a little harsh since my employer only cared about somebody having a degree, not which degree they had, and this job pays better than any other job I’ve had, even if it only covers the minimum plus another $500, which I squander most of on my appetite for binge eating—which is a bad habit I can’t seem to break.
There is always a need for teachers. But then maybe it isn't for you? It can be very stressful.

After i retired from the military, i piddled around and thought about teaching math. I went back to college. I already had a degree, but i wanted to get a background with educational methods hours. And i was getting a stipend for going to school - so why not

I spent a few weeks in a fourth grade class. That was okay. But then i started subbing and that i hated. It wasn't the kids; it was the system. Just seemed disorganized.

Anyway, after a year of some subbing, i never went back and never got another degree.

Work on your finances. Do you see someone for your emotional issues? Hope you can turn this around and get on a good path to a successful retirement.

Old 04-21-2019, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
There is always a need for teachers. But then maybe it isn't for you? It can be very stressful.

After i retired from the military, i piddled around and thought about teaching math. I went back to college. I already had a degree, but i wanted to get a background with educational methods hours. And i was getting a stipend for going to school - so why not

I spent a few weeks in a fourth grade class. That was okay. But then i started subbing and that i hated. It wasn't the kids; it was the system. Just seemed disorganized.

Anyway, after a year of some subbing, i never went back and never got another degree.

Work on your finances. Do you see someone for your emotional issues? Hope you can turn this around and get on a good path to a successful retirement.
Well, I have a pharmacy tech certification that’s about to expire my mom is saying I should renew but I’d rather jump in front of a moving train than ever go back to pharmacy. I suffered through pharmacy 5 years and teaching is nowhere near as bad. Honestly, as much as I dislike my job, everything else seems to be a step down unless I get an advanced degree, but then the question is which advanced degree and how will I pay for the advanced degree?

I would try something else, but as it stands right now, I’m stuck with teaching unless I do something worse. That whole truck driving things sounds good, espeically those high paid long haul drivers who do hazmat supertanking—I could retire in just a few years making that much. I’ve seriously considered doing a CDL and just trying to make as much money as possible, but the rate of technology change is terrifying and at any moment I could have my “golden hen” taken from me.

As far as emotional issues, I used to see somebody, but I was spending too much and not seeing amy results. At this point, I just assume the depression will be a lifelong problem.

Old 04-21-2019, 04:43 PM

Keep your pharmacy tech cert!

Old 04-21-2019, 05:02 PM

555 posts, read 598,753 times
What do you like to do? How is your eye for detail? Do you think you'd like working at a computer all day, or are you more of a people person?

You're young. I had absolutely no idea what I wanted to do at 23. Like you, I had a "general studies" degree (psych major, LOL) and although it got me nowhere I'm still glad I have that degree. I ended up going back to school in my mid-30's for an associate's degree in respiratory therapy and did that until I retired a couple of months ago. I didn't make a ton of money but working became less of a slog when I was doing something that I found very interesting.

I also suffered from chronic depression. Hang in there.

Old 04-21-2019, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogmom13 View Post
What do you like to do? How is your eye for detail? Do you think you'd like working at a computer all day, or are you more of a people person?

You're young. I had absolutely no idea what I wanted to do at 23. Like you, I had a "general studies" degree (psych major, LOL) and although it got me nowhere I'm still glad I have that degree. I ended up going back to school in my mid-30's for an associate's degree in respiratory therapy and did that until I retired a couple of months ago. I didn't make a ton of money but working became less of a slog when I was doing something that I found very interesting.

I also suffered from chronic depression. Hang in there.
I somewhat like helping people, but the feeling isn’t mutual and these days I think I’d prefer to be on a computer. My eye for detail is honestly not that great. I used to like to paint paintings, write novels, and use animation software to animate animated movies, but the last few years its like I’ve lost my muse and can’t bring myself to create anything.

About the only thing I still like is going out to eat. I don’t much like cooking, but I can pretty much eat anytime.

I’m pretty much stuck on “tired and hungry” 24/7.

Old 04-21-2019, 05:44 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,844 posts, read 58,440,876 times
You won't be getting CDL work if you're on meds for clinical depression. It is a pretty rough and unforgiving career and co-workers. Lots of losers.

Keep all active certs, pharma and teaching... Losing them will set you back. Consider multiple jobs if healthy and capable. Less time to lament. Look for companies with educational assistance. Mine paid 100% for my degrees. I found working nights a whole lot better for me.

I think if you find the right job, employer, situation, you will be encouraged and fine. Gonna take some experiments and time.

Old 04-21-2019, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
You won't be getting CDL work if you're on meds for clinical depression. It is a pretty rough and unforgiving career and co-workers. Lots of losers.

Keep all active certs, pharma and teaching... Losing them will set you back. Consider multiple jobs if healthy and capable. Less time to lament. Look for companies with educational assistance. Mine paid 100% for my degrees. I found working nights a whole lot better for me.

I think if you find the right job, employer, situation, you will be encouraged and fine. Gonna take some experiments and time.
I’m hoping so.

I found a sidehustle called vip kid. It would be a great increase in income if I could get my emotional health in order.

It pays 25 an hour and would last 7pm to 10pm every weeknight. I’d be using the internet to teach kids in China English, so it would be 7am-10am for those kids. My biggest obstacle is how lethargic I stay all the time. I feel like a knot on a log.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement