Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 11:44 AM

2,429 posts, read 4,022,104 times

Advertisements

By early I mean 55 and under...and actually I'm most interested in those 50 and under.

How much did you make?
What was your career?
Married or single? Dual income or one?
What was your budget?
How much did you save...and how did you do that?
Where did you live? did you buy a house, rent with roommates?
Did you live off rice and beans, spaghetti and ramen noodles?
Did you buy every thing used?
Did an inheritance help?

Did you feel you were making trade-offs or denying yourself at the time, while you were saving?

There are many more questions and factors. Mostly I'm curious about a person's story.
How did you retire so "early?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2015, 12:14 PM

810 posts, read 1,181,713 times
I personally didn't, but know several that did and very successfully. One was a police officer. 20 years in, full pension. Fully medical benefits. Retired at 42. Raised 4 children. He eventually took a p/t job as a security guard at a school so he was off summers. Now fully retired again.

A couple of friends retired around 55 from teaching. Again, full pensions and medical insurance. All raised children and put them through college.

One thing to consider is that where I am from the police and teachers are HIGHLY compensated (wonder if they'd agree though!?!?)

Another family member invested wisely in an up-and-coming company. Not a lot at all, but got in on the ground floor. Retired very young and comfortable. Not a gazillionaire, but comfortable. Dabbles in things he enjoys and sometimes gets paid here and there, but doesn't have to work.

Old 06-03-2015, 01:06 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,348,476 times
Golly, you left out SS#'s, address, bank acct #'s.

Old 06-03-2015, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Golly, you left out SS#'s, address, bank acct #'s.
Really? was that necessary? OR am I not getting your sense of humor.
IF you meant it as a joke then I misinterpreted your tone.
A person can certain tell their story of how they came to retire so early, without what you're talking about.

Old 06-03-2015, 02:10 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
I'm not sure I'm getting the point of the OP. S/he is either writing a freelance article for a publication and is gathering more hardcore info from retirees, or s/he is asking a question to compare self with others for whatever reason. I doubt any responses will divulge the kind of info asked though.

Old 06-03-2015, 10:36 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,103,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I'm not sure I'm getting the point of the OP. S/he is either writing a freelance article for a publication and is gathering more hardcore info from retirees, or s/he is asking a question to compare self with others for whatever reason. I doubt any responses will divulge the kind of info asked though.
I think the OP is just asking how you did it? He/she isn't necessarily asking for an answer to every question, but wants something more than generalities.

Old 06-03-2015, 10:41 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,730,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdflk View Post
By early I mean 55 and under...and actually I'm most interested in those 50 and under.

How much did you make?
What was your career?
Married or single? Dual income or one?
What was your budget?
How much did you save...and how did you do that?
Where did you live? did you buy a house, rent with roommates?
Did you live off rice and beans, spaghetti and ramen noodles?
Did you buy every thing used?
Did an inheritance help?

Did you feel you were making trade-offs or denying yourself at the time, while you were saving?

There are many more questions and factors. Mostly I'm curious about a person's story.
How did you retire so "early?"
We were duel income Henry's and paid out the ass in taxes so we said to hell with it, DH retired. Less money yes but not enough of a difference to give up freedom.

Old 06-04-2015, 12:56 AM

Quote:
I think the OP is just asking how you did it? He/she isn't necessarily asking for an answer to every question, but wants something more than generalities.
I think my post and questions are being misinterpreted.

Thank you, Saralvr and petch, for managing to provide a response.
Thanks, dmills. You get it.

It’s a personal finance question – nothing more. I asked the question here and NOT in the personal finance board because – as someone who is obsessing about retirement – I wanted to specifically ask people who HAVE RETIRED early how they did it.
===========================
I was looking for answers such as:

-- “I was a police officer and the most I ever made was 60K a year but I never took vacations and my wife and I shopped at thrift shops to save money. She was a teacher and made 50K, so we lived off of one salary and since they were both government jobs were able to retire after 20 years.”
OR

-- “I’m single never had any kids, but being a doctor had a high salary so was able to make good money and retire early. Made so much that budget was not really an issue. Guess I was lucky. But then again I worked hard. And now I can play hard“
OR

-- “I’m single, and never made more than 50K but had good benefits and knew I wanted to retire and so I had roommates all my life until I did retire early at 48. Now I have a house in a low costs city. No mortgage.”
OR

-- “I was a construction worker got hurt on the job so retirement wasn’t my choice. But I’ve never been a big spender.
And so when I got hurt the disability package was sweet enough for me to retire.”
OR

-- “I’m married 30 years. but never thought of early retirement. Most either of us made was 45K. Then one of my wife’s parents died. And my dad died...so we each got small inheritances (less than 20K each) which helped us retire about 5 years earlier than planned. We sold out house and downsized and made it work.”
OR

-- “I was in the military, went in at 18 got out at 48. Saved all my money and never looked back.”
OR

How much did you make? Most ever was 90K
What was your career? accountant
Married or single? Dual income or one? Married, spouse was a nurse, 2 kids (who got college scholarships)
What was your budget? We always saved, our mortgage was only 1.200 a month
How much did you save...and how did you do that? We lived off one salary
Where did you live? did you buy a house, rent with roommates? Alabama
Did you live off rice and beans, spaghetti and ramen noodles? No we are out from time to time, but we were never big in to travel so that helped
Did you buy everything used? Nope. As a matter of fact I like a new car every few years.
Did an inheritance help? No....parents all living Thank God.

No more than you’d find in a Money magazine profile or that someone would discuss on a financial call-in radio show...where people are ALSO ANONYMOUS. Is that really "divulging" some "hardcore info?" Really?

Quote:
As the OP:
1) I said why I was asking...(which others did understand)
2) but IF that was not something you could comprehend or you had doubts about, I would have preferred you ASK ME why, than insinuate some ulterior motive and turn others off from take part in the conversation. I was taught to ask for clarification -- before making accusations or speculating. It's good advice that can keep one from being embarrassed or having egg on one's face. Isn't it better to get clarity before spouting off? So you know what your talking about before making a comment?

So hopefully we can get back on track..... if anyone can help us all by sharing how you managed to retire early, many of us could learn for your success. Thanks.

Last edited by rdflk; 06-04-2015 at 01:18 AM..

Old 06-04-2015, 05:15 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,628,733 times
We were both working and always tried to save one income. We retired at 50. The trick is not how much you make but how much you spend.

Old 06-04-2015, 08:25 AM

813 posts, read 1,133,423 times
Retired 29 years ago at 33 (two months shy of 34)
How much did you make? Tax returns showed low six figures most years.
What was your career? Multiple Business owner
Married or single? Dual income or one? Married, ex-spouse was a partner, 1 kid
What was your budget? We did not budget, our mortgage was only 1.200 a month
How much did you save...and how did you do that? Company profit sharing plan.
Where did you live? did you buy a house, rent with roommates? NYC (suburbs, owned a house 850k in today's dollars)
Did you live off rice and beans, spaghetti and ramen noodles? Dined out 4-5 nights a week.
Did you buy everything used? Nope. Companies leased vehicles
Did an inheritance help? No....still waiting, thank God!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement