Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 02:51 PM

63,844 posts, read 40,128,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
the question that comes to mind when someone self-proclaims to be a "true polymath"
is to wonder "Other than yourself, who is labeling you as that?"
because the views expressed in CD, are not those of a polymath.
The multiple disciplines and diligence of intellectual achievement define a polymath, Tzaph. It is not an honorific and there are a lot of us in society at all levels and disciplines. I know of none in today's day and age who have attempted to pursue the God issue seriously from a scientific point of view and try to reconcile the spiritual fossil record.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 02:51 PM

22,240 posts, read 19,245,773 times
and regarding the flawed premise that old books are wrong because they lack modern science (i can't even type that without laughing, here i am chuckling at my keyboard)

"Reading long, old, and obscure books filter out the best ideas from history that have stood the test of time and are thus, exponentially worth your limited time.

"Of course, just because a book is long and old doesn’t mean it’s worth slogging through. Length and age does not equal substance. But there’s a chance that it is. The future life expectancy of non-perishable things like books is proportional to their current age — that’s the Lindy Effect."

also from Roxine Kee

Old Yesterday, 02:55 PM

50,867 posts, read 24,371,727 times
Quote:
and regarding the flawed premise that old books are wrong because they lack modern science (i can't even type that without laughing, here i am chuckling at my keyboard)

"Reading long, old, and obscure books filter out the best ideas from history that have stood the test of time and are thus, exponentially worth your limited time.

"Of course, just because a book is long and old doesn’t mean it’s worth slogging through. Length and age does not equal substance. But there’s a chance that it is. The future life expectancy of non-perishable things like books is proportional to their current age — that’s the Lindy Effect."

also from Roxine Kee
What are her qualifications that should attract us to her beliefs?

Old Yesterday, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
G-d almighty, didn’t you know?
In a sense that is what motivated my multi-discipline efforts in science. I had no particular motivation to become a polymath. It was unavoidable given my goal to explain my encounter.

Old Yesterday, 03:09 PM

views expressed in your posts may show proficiency in understanding some areas of science.
views expressed in your posts show a lack of proficiency in understanding most paths of religion and spirituality.

that is my observation, as demonstrated by views expressed in your posts. certainly a reader can hold whatever views beliefs and opinions they like as strikes a person's fancy.

but to claim mastery of understanding what is presented in different paths of religion and spirituality, that is consistently absent in views expressed in your posts

Old Yesterday, 03:12 PM

50,867 posts, read 24,371,727 times
Quote:
views expressed in your posts may show proficiency in understanding some areas of science.
views expressed in your posts show a lack of proficiency in understanding most paths of religion and spirituality.

that is my observation, as demonstrated by views expressed in your posts. certainly a reader can hold whatever views beliefs and opinions they like as strikes a person's fancy.

but to claim mastery of understanding what is presented in different paths of religion and spirituality, that is consistently absent in views expressed in your posts
Unclear who you are referring to.

But similarly...

views expressed in your posts may show proficiency in understanding some exotic area of spiritual beliefs, almost all of which have no basis in demonstrable fact.
views expressed in your posts show a lack of proficiency in understanding the difference between belief and proof.

too much woo, not enough science

Old Yesterday, 03:17 PM

Quote:
"True polymaths aren’t focused on achieving the status of one."

"Polymaths balance creativity with respect for the worldview and experiences of people who came before them. Because of how much they know, they know how little they actually know. This lets them approach the world with an abundance of knowledge and humility.

"To be clear, becoming a polymath isn’t about being smarter. It’s about being less of a fool. Richard Feynman reminds us that, 'The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.' "
---Roxine Kee
I agree, Tzaph. I had no desire to be a polymath. It was unavoidable given my goal of explaining my encounter.

Old Yesterday, 03:37 PM

Quote:

What you call a "lack of proficiency in understanding most paths of religion and spirituality" is a disagreement with the rationales proffered. I understand them just fine. I reject them as either primitive, barbaric, irrational, or "woo."

Old Yesterday, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I agree, Tzaph. I had no desire to be a polymath. It was unavoidable given my goal of explaining my encounter.
if you are including paths of religion and spirituality, in your self-proclaimed mastery of in depth knowledge and demonstrated expertise across multiple disciplines, then no you are not a polymath.

as evidenced by views expressed in posts here on CD.

Old Yesterday, 04:15 PM

9,691 posts, read 10,027,043 times
In the scripture Matthew 27:50-54 at the death of Jesus Christ .....``Jesus when He cried again with a loud voice, yielded up the Holy Ghost ... And behold the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom, and the earth did quake, and the rocks rent.... And the graves were opened and many bodies of the saints which slept arose ... And came out of the graves after His resurrection, and went into the Holy City, and appeared onto many...... Now when the Centurion and they that were with him watching Jesus, saw the earthquake, and those things that were done, they feared greatly saying, Truly this was the Son of God `` ................................... See it was God who rent the temple which was the covenant with the descendant of Isaac family, as God built the temple where the veil was ripped God from the sin in the world, showing that Jesus would be the New Judgment for God for salvation ..... So there is No salvation of eternal damnation beyond faith In Jesus Christ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality