Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 05:54 PM

50,847 posts, read 24,359,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
eternal hell and eternal torture are an invention of Christianity.
it has never been part of Judaism.

maximum 11-12 months to purify the soul
Also not something in Buddhism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 05:56 PM

22,216 posts, read 19,238,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Also not something in Buddhism.
yup

Old Yesterday, 06:04 PM

33,255 posts, read 26,470,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
eternal hell and eternal torture are an invention of Christianity.
it has never been part of Judaism.

maximum 11-12 months to purify the soul
Actually, there are exceptions to that. According to 'B.M. 58B there are three classes of men who will never come up from Gehenna.
All that descend into Gehenna shall come up again, with the exception of three classes of men: those who have committed adultery, or shamed their neighbors, or vilified them (B. M. 58b)

https://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/a...s/6558-gehenna
Only the utterly wicked do not ascend to the Garden of Eden at the end of this year. Sources differ on what happens to these souls at the end of their initial time of purgation. Some say that the wicked are utterly destroyed and cease to exist, while others believe in eternal damnation (Maimonides, Mishneh Torah, Law of Repentance, 3:5-6).

https://www.myjewishlearning.com/art...ish-tradition/
There are differing beliefs within Judaism regarding Gehenna.

Old Yesterday, 06:25 PM

95 posts, read 13,348 times
I happen to agree with it why? Because you can't force faith on another person certainly not with fear.The person themselves have to come to believe you can't believe for them.It has been a mistake how many were forced to believe when they never believed at all they just hid that they did not believe .All you can do is share your faith. I was a hospice volunteer and its very difficult to get someone to change their faith before they die unless its already in them. I have seen many people to their deaths and I have learned this.

I have 4 siblings my father forced Christianity on to them not caring whether they believe or not they will believe what he tells them to believe they didn't believe so they lied to him that they did.Fear cannot be use you will not get the truth. The moment he was gone all of them declared they were atheist so what did my father accomplish.I am the only believer left in the family all my relatives are non believers and there is nothing I can do.My sister Died and at her service God was not even mentioned except by one woman who said her name meant Gift from God.

Everyone has to come to believe on their own.

Old Yesterday, 06:33 PM

19,044 posts, read 27,620,833 times
Look, it's the same god, YHWH.
Judaism and Christianity both pray to the same deity. Ones pray directly, others via Jesus proxy.
What that statement means is that you have an Abrahamic religion, in 2 different flavours, with senior partners being saved by virtue of birth and junior partners having to earn salvation.
It's not about "forcing religion" onto someone. It's about double standard of the mentioned deity.
Of course, based on Vatican statement.

Old Yesterday, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Judaism and Christianity both pray to the same deity. Ones pray directly, others via Jesus proxy.
What that statement means is that you have an Abrahamic religion, in 2 different flavours, with senior partners being saved by virtue of birth and junior partners having to earn salvation.
It's not about "forcing religion" onto someone. It's about double standard of the mentioned deity.
there is no such thing as salvation in Judaism. it is a Christian concept

Judaism has always recognized that everyone has access to the divine regardless of whatever religion or path they follow. no special membership needed. that is why Judaism does not proselytize or seek converts.

whereas Chrstinty says it is the only way to God
big difference

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; Yesterday at 07:03 PM..

Old Yesterday, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post

Earn? You cannot earn salvation you cannot die for your own sins. The bible is pretty clear you cannot earn salvation buy salvation or raise yourself up from death you can do absolutely nothing for it it is 100% by the Grace of God by the sacrifice Jesus made.He has to die for every last one of your sins for you to raised up and enter heaven

Both Christianity and Judaism have the fall of mankind Judaism is incomplete not dealing with the problem.Christianity not only deals with the problem it brings it to completion.

Last edited by Paul888; Yesterday at 07:23 PM..

Old Yesterday, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul888 View Post
Earn? You cannot earn salvation you cannot die for your own sins. The bible is pretty clear you cannot earn salvation buy salvation or raise yourself up from death you can do absolutely nothing for it it is 100% by the Grace of God by the sacrifice Jesus made. He has to die for every last one of your sins for you to raised up and enter heaven
and other paths recognize that every person is a child of God. we all come from God, we all return to God.
it is like the air we breathe: free and available for everyone equally.

divinity is not proprietary.

Old Yesterday, 07:44 PM

Who really knows the bible gives a picture at the throne of God.
Revelation 7:9

After this I looked, and there before me was a great multitude of souls that could not be counted, from every nation, tribe, people and language, standing before the throne and before the Lamb. They were wearing white robes and were holding palm branches in their hands.

Notice each one has on a white robe being washed in the blood of the lamb.

Old Yesterday, 07:58 PM

20,022 posts, read 13,496,411 times
Quote:
I was a hospice volunteer and its very difficult to get someone to change their faith before they die unless its already in them. I have seen many people to their deaths and I have learned this.
Former hospice volunteer here also. I think it is probably a safe bet that by the time someone goes into hospice (particularly when they tend to take advantage of it way too late in the game, at least here in the US) they have already sorted out their metaphysics by then. If people went in months rather than weeks or even days before their death, they might be more likely to ask for advice in such matters.
Quote:
I have 4 siblings my father forced Christianity on to them not caring whether they believe or not they will believe what he tells them to believe they didn't believe so they lied to him that they did.Fear cannot be use you will not get the truth. The moment he was gone all of them declared they were atheist so what did my father accomplish.I am the only believer left in the family all my relatives are non believers and there is nothing I can do.My sister Died and at her service God was not even mentioned except by one woman who said her name meant Gift from God.

Everyone has to come to believe on their own.
Of my three siblings, two remained in the faith, although one died of a freak cancer and let us just say it challenged his faith a great deal. The third is non-practicing and probably best characterized as agnostic. I am an atheist. Fortunately the faith wasn't forced on any of us, at least not directly (there was of course social pressure and the nonzero social cost of exiting to consider, but our parents were not that controlling). For me the problem was the cognitive dissonance of having to reconcile the promises with the reality, combined with some unfortunate experiences (death of a wife and child). I guess what I'm saying is that while your father's approach backfired, there were probably reasons besides that why the beliefs weren't compelling to your siblings -- and there are people deconverting all the time, not due to abreacting to forced conversion attempts, but just because it doesn't work for them as advertised.

I am glad you are happy in the faith and you are right, it's not in your power to do anything about your sibling's choices -- so I'm equally glad you're not beating yourself up about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality