Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2024, 05:52 PM

50,759 posts, read 24,261,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I didn't see that in your post at all.

Couldn't make much sense of it, to tell the truth. That's a common but tiresome Internet game, writing vague, cryptic posts that no one else can decipher because they're not inside your head and then acting put out when you are "misunderstood".
To be honest, there are christians who are too attached to suffering. The suffering of others, as well as their own suffering. When I was a Methodist, one of my favorite hymns was: "'Are ye able' said the master 'to be crucified with me?' 'Yea', the sturdy dreamers answered, 'to the death we follow thee'"... I've often thought how depressing that sentiment is...as well as how few would literally wish to be crucified. But it was a catchy tune!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2024, 06:17 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
To be honest, there are christians who are too attached to suffering. The suffering of others, as well as their own suffering. When I was a Methodist, one of my favorite hymns was: "'Are ye able' said the master 'to be crucified with me?' 'Yea', the sturdy dreamers answered, 'to the death we follow thee'"... I've often thought how depressing that sentiment is...as well as how few would literally wish to be crucified. But it was a catchy tune!
Yes, I don't know that hymn, but there are others with a similar sentiment.

Old 03-21-2024, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yes, I don't know that hymn, but there are others with a similar sentiment.
To me, it would much better for a christian to go out into the world and do good, than to follow their leader onto a cross.

And, of course, now as a Buddhist, we have a totally different view of suffering.

Old 03-22-2024, 12:12 AM

16,756 posts, read 4,968,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief scum View Post
You suggest God was not their keeper when 6 million Jews were murdered. When the blood of Abel cried out from the ground, God listened, and then told Cain to listen to everything he could not hear from his self-exalted state. God acknowledged Abel by name while Cain refused to acknowledge his brother. Cain sought to write Abel off, and God's response shows that God didn't write Abel off after being murdered. As God acknowledged Abel by name and as having a voice and listening to his voice. Kept by God and not disowned.
Are you suggesting God WAS their keeper because of a piece of fiction?

Old 03-22-2024, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Maybe he's right. God was so kind to the Jews. After all, he could have turned them into a pillar of salt.

Or, could what we have here be a touch of anti-semitism?

Old 03-22-2024, 07:38 AM

1,475 posts, read 478,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief scum View Post
A number of years ago I was having a dream and in the dream, God gave me a request to be granted. Then I immediately awoke and gave my request. Then at that moment I was given shared understanding.

I find it difficult to walk in shared understanding in this world, when people just want to exalt themselves over me, not realizing I am not like that and isn't something I struggle with, as I am perfectly content accepting the lowest seat. And enjoy seeing others who are humble being lifted up.

You suggest God was not their keeper when 6 million Jews were murdered. When the blood of Abel cried out from the ground, God listened, and then told Cain to listen to everything he could not hear from his self-exalted state. God acknowledged Abel by name while Cain refused to acknowledge his brother. Cain sought to write Abel off, and God's response shows that God didn't write Abel off after being murdered. As God acknowledged Abel by name and as having a voice and listening to his voice. Kept by God and not disowned.
Quote:
Why do you call God's word a "piece of fiction"? What I shared speaks of the blood of Abel (specific) crying out from the ground. Mankind knew nothing about DNA until not much more than 100 years ago. And is now used in solving crimes. And what you write off as a "piece of fiction" speaks of both of those things long before mankind made the discovery under a microscope.

Old 03-22-2024, 08:42 AM

22,141 posts, read 19,198,797 times
Quote:
if a person labels the bible as fiction
then they are demonstrating and indicating their own inability to comprehend what is in the bible, and their own inability to grasp in even the most rudimentary way what the bible addresses.

Old 03-22-2024, 09:05 AM

9,325 posts, read 12,995,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
if a person labels the bible as fiction
then they are demonstrating and indicating their own inability to comprehend what is in the bible, and their own inability to grasp in even the most rudimentary way what the bible addresses.
How so? One does not need to believe the Bible (or any other religious text) is the literal or divinely inspired word of God in order to understand what it represents. I would more specifically describe the Bible and other religious texts as a form of literature. Even many fervently religious people do not dispute that characterization. They just view it as true or layered with truth.

Certain parts of the Bible may be true in a broadly apocryphal sense, in the same way that modern literature often incorporates real people and events into its fictional storylines.

Granted, I don’t purport to be anything close to a scholar of the Tanakh, much less the New Testament or Quran or any other religious texts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Maybe he's right. God was so kind to the Jews. After all, he could have turned them into a pillar of salt.

Or, could what we have here be a touch of anti-semitism?
People Love Dead Jews

Old 03-22-2024, 10:12 AM

29,526 posts, read 9,700,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
How so? One does not need to believe the Bible (or any other religious text) is the literal or divinely inspired word of God in order to understand what it represents. I would more specifically describe the Bible and other religious texts as a form of literature. Even many fervently religious people do not dispute that characterization. They just view it as true or layered with truth.

Certain parts of the Bible may be true in a broadly apocryphal sense, in the same way that modern literature often incorporates real people and events into its fictional storylines.

Granted, I don’t purport to be anything close to a scholar of the Tanakh, much less the New Testament or Quran or any other religious texts.

People Love Dead Jews
Are you by chance suggesting that God didn't create light in one day? Then the sky on day two? The earth, seas, and vegetation on the third? The sky before the earth is curious but who are we to question? Then the sun and moon on day four, animals of the air and sea day five. Land animals and humans on the next day until finally God decided to rest on the seventh day? Are you saying this is fiction? Or maybe you mean this sort of thing in the Bible is not to be read literally? I think that's the holy rule. Right? Anything in the Bible that appears in any way to be fiction is not to be read literally.

Are you also going to suggest the Bible's genealogical records and the Genesis 1 account of creation that estimates the age of the Earth and universe to be about 6000 years is off?!?

I am certainly no Bible expert, but I know enough about these facts to know they should not be questioned like you seem to be doing and/or advocating. When it comes to the Bible and all other holy books for that matter, to question in these ways is a sign of ignorance that any believer is more than able and willing to explain to you in ways you are not likely to understand, but I for one forgive you this trespass.

Sometimes I think a question about a thing or two is a healthy thing all considered...

Old 03-22-2024, 10:18 AM

16,756 posts, read 4,968,659 times
Quote:
if a person labels the bible as fiction ...
One part of the bible.

Quote:
... then they are demonstrating and indicating their own inability to comprehend what is in the bible, and their own inability to grasp in even the most rudimentary way what the bible addresses.
No they are not, they are pointing out the fact that parts of the Bible are fiction; and anyone who disagrees is demonstrating and indicating their own inability to comprehend that parts of the Bible are actually fictional.

So not only are you demonstrating your ignorance, your non sequitur also demonstrates how irrational your assertions are.

But if you want to believe that 8 people literally got off an Ark and then less than 177 years later, there were enough people to populate the world (including the Americas), you go for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality