Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2024, 06:18 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,000,279 times

Advertisements

Some people do that. They pray for others, never for themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2024, 12:55 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Praying is something that just seems normal for those entrenched with faith from their religious upbringing, and they will continue with or without actual results.

For many, however, it's sort of a "I'll try anything in case it works." Much like protesting a war in the middle east in a city like Seattle, thinking that cameras on your house will keep you from being robbed, or metal grates on a store will stop a car from smash & grab.

Old 03-20-2024, 09:16 PM

1,478 posts, read 478,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seethelight View Post
So, God apparently didn't seem to hear the prayers of 6 million Jews during the Holocaust, so why does anyone think that God will really grant you the new job you were hoping to get? REALLY? Shouldn't people just say that they were hoping to get the new job rather than try and use God to grant their requests?
A number of years ago I was having a dream and in the dream, God gave me a request to be granted. Then I immediately awoke and gave my request. Then at that moment I was given shared understanding.

I find it difficult to walk in shared understanding in this world, when people just want to exalt themselves over me, not realizing I am not like that and isn't something I struggle with, as I am perfectly content accepting the lowest seat. And enjoy seeing others who are humble being lifted up.

You suggest God was not their keeper when 6 million Jews were murdered. When the blood of Abel cried out from the ground, God listened, and then told Cain to listen to everything he could not hear from his self-exalted state. God acknowledged Abel by name while Cain refused to acknowledge his brother. Cain sought to write Abel off, and God's response shows that God didn't write Abel off after being murdered. As God acknowledged Abel by name and as having a voice and listening to his voice. Kept by God and not disowned.

Last edited by chief scum; 03-20-2024 at 09:32 PM..

Old 03-21-2024, 11:45 AM

50,765 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief scum View Post

You suggest God was not their keeper when 6 million Jews were murdered. When the blood of Abel cried out from the ground, God listened, and then told Cain to listen to everything he could not hear from his self-exalted state. God acknowledged Abel by name while Cain refused to acknowledge his brother. Cain sought to write Abel off, and God's response shows that God didn't write Abel off after being murdered. As God acknowledged Abel by name and as having a voice and listening to his voice. Kept by God and not disowned.
I don't think all that crapola was on the minds of those 6 million Jews as they were being stuffed into ovens, etc. The insensitivity of many christians is stunning and shameful.

Old 03-21-2024, 12:51 PM

Quote:
A number of years ago I was having a dream and in the dream, God gave me a request to be granted. Then I immediately awoke and gave my request. Then at that moment I was given shared understanding.

I find it difficult to walk in shared understanding in this world, when people just want to exalt themselves over me, not realizing I am not like that and isn't something I struggle with, as I am perfectly content accepting the lowest seat. And enjoy seeing others who are humble being lifted up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I don't think all that crapola was on the minds of those 6 million Jews as they were being stuffed into ovens, etc. The insensitivity of many christians is stunning and shameful.
So, you declare Hitler as the final word over all the Jews that he had murdered.

What I pointed out in reference was that Cain was not the final word over Abel, who he had murdered. And I am glad to know that you are not the final word over me, with all the condemnation you speak. Just as Hitler declared himself as the final word over the Jews, till he found out he wasn't. Just as in the book of Esther Haman sought to declare himself as the final word over the Jews till he found out he wasn't. And all his unrighteous judgement fell on him.

Old 03-21-2024, 12:55 PM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
So, you declare Hitler as the final word over all the Jews that he had murdered.

What I pointed out in reference was that Cain was not the final word over Abel, who he had murdered. And I am glad to know that you are not the final word over me, with all the condemnation you speak. Just as Hitler declared himself as the final word over the Jews, till he found out he wasn't. Just as in the book of Esther Haman sought to declare himself as the final word over the Jews till he found out he wasn't. And all his unrighteous judgement fell on him.
phetaroi did not even remotely indicate that.

Old 03-21-2024, 01:03 PM

50,765 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:

I don't give a flying fig about a fictional book that I don't believe in.

What I care about is that 6 million human beings -- men, women, and CHILDREN -- were murdered and god didn't lift a finger. Don't you believe that all life comes from god??? Or is there some other god over in the next county? If god can help Betty find her car keys, then god ought to save 6 million Jews from the gas chambers. And if you don't think so...well, it could have been you.

Old 03-21-2024, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
phetaroi did not even remotely indicate that.
He wrote a post condemning me for expressing that Hitler was not the final word over the Jews he had murdered. As I also expressed in the post you quoted.

Old 03-21-2024, 04:20 PM

3,797 posts, read 2,992,667 times
It’s a tough one, and it’s obviously one of the reasons many former Christians or believers are now atheists.
And I’m talking more of prayers at a personal or family level, not necessarily on wars or catastrophic events or tragedies.
Sometimes we needed to be taught a lesson, but even then that lesson may be questionable at the time.
It’s one of the things all religions are trained to do, so it’s hard to dispute the good intentions of the prayers.
Whether they work seems to be quite situational in nature.

Old 03-21-2024, 05:43 PM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
He wrote a post condemning me for expressing that Hitler was not the final word over the Jews he had murdered. As I also expressed in the post you quoted.
I didn't see that in your post at all. Doubt phetaroi did either.

Couldn't make much sense of it, to tell the truth. That's a common but tiresome Internet game, writing vague, cryptic posts that no one else can decipher because they're not inside your head and then acting put out when you are "misunderstood".

But Ok, since you've clarified--although it seems like another version of the "but it will be GREAT when you're DEAD", POV, how does Hitler "not being the final word" comfort those who were tortured, murdered, or left behind with the scars and memories?

Did you ever read Elie Weisel's Night? You should. Everyone on the planet should. It is only about 80 pages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality