Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2024, 07:08 PM

22,182 posts, read 19,221,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
This is a symptom of black-or-white thinking. The Oneness is a multiplicity of Oneness (NOT a duality) that cannot be grasped by the mind that thinks the Oneness must be an unchanging one with no distinctions. Such imaginings are completely contrary to all experience and evidence including the phenomenon of "awareness" itself (IOW, it is insanity). While you do not seem to see it, this is nihilistic. This quote epitomizes being stuck in an imaginary unchanging (=dead, static) nothingness that cannot be validated in any way, shape, or form (= insanity), IMO.
that you consider "unchanging" to be the same as "dead" demonstrates that you do not know the difference between "dead" and "unchanging." this from someone who labels Zen Buddhist principles as insanity.

this prevents and precludes any type of rational discussion.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 04-15-2024 at 07:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2024, 07:20 PM

63,812 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
that you consider "unchanging" to be the same as "dead" demonstrates that you do not know the difference between "dead" and "unchanging." this from someone who labels Zen Buddhist principles as insanity/

this prevents and precludes any type of rational discussion.
It prevents any rational discussion because it is irrational. Life is change (even Eternal life). To posit an unchanging life is irrational and indistinguishable from death.

Old 04-15-2024, 07:33 PM

2,666 posts, read 1,185,188 times
Maybe for all we know our minds still go onto somewhere else when our brain dies.

Like when sleeping the physical brain is here and functioning but it is the mind that moves onto somewhere else. That is one way I can think to describe where the mind goes not the brain.

Also while in a hypnotic state the mind not only goes somewhere else it can be changed to thinking different. But like when sleeping the brain is still alive.

Although the brain is still physically functioning we still can't be sure the mind ceases to stop functioning when the brain does. We assume the mind dies when the brain dies.

The problem with this, that I have thought much on, is when the brain becomes smoosh and doesn't function properly when in a coma we don't know if the mind goes on to a different existence. I think of Schiavo and Quinlan. Quinlan in a coma, not awake and eventually her body curled into a fetal position. Schiavo seemed to function but not with any consciousness but her brain was found to be smoosh yet she was awake. Did their mind move onto another existence/realm? I considered both to be brain dead.

Life after death cold be because the mind moves on or because the soul moves on.

Old 04-15-2024, 07:47 PM

Quote:
that too is intellect and ego.
grasping. and gasping.
I use to think the soul is the brain but as time went on I began to think the soul is the mind. The mind helps us determine our feelings, emotions, what we determine we feel we believe.

I am not a scholar this is just what I think is possible and I do in my mind, LOL, believe the soul is or at least comes from the mind.

Old 04-15-2024, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staystill View Post
Maybe for all we know our minds still go onto somewhere else when our brain dies.

Like when sleeping the physical brain is here and functioning but it is the mind that moves onto somewhere else. That is one way I can think to describe where the mind goes not the brain.

Also while in a hypnotic state the mind not only goes somewhere else it can be changed to thinking different. But like when sleeping the brain is still alive.

Although the brain is still physically functioning we still can't be sure the mind ceases to stop functioning when the brain does. We assume the mind dies when the brain dies.

The problem with this, that I have thought much on, is when the brain becomes smoosh and doesn't function properly when in a coma we don't know if the mind goes on to a different existence. I think of Schiavo and Quinlan. Quinlan in a coma, not awake and eventually her body curled into a fetal position. Schiavo seemed to function but not with any consciousness but her brain was found to be smoosh yet she was awake. Did their mind move onto another existence/realm? I considered both to be brain dead.

Life after death cold be because the mind moves on or because the soul moves on.
do you see the mind and the soul as the same thing? i do not.

there is a difference between the mind and the soul.
just like there is a difference between the body and the soul.
and there is a difference between the emotions and the soul.

Old 04-15-2024, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staystill View Post
I use to think the soul is the brain but as time went on I began to think the soul is the mind. The mind helps us determine our feelings, emotions, what we determine we feel we believe.

I am not a scholar this is just what I think is possible and I do in my mind, LOL, believe the soul is or at least comes from the mind.
i responded to your earlier post before i saw this post.

my view is that the "essence" of the person is not the body, or the feelings, or the mind, or the brain, or the personality, or the thoughts, or the emotions, or the gender, or the career, or the finances, or the accomplishments. none of those. those vary from lifetime to lifetime in a series of incarnating and reincarnating. but rather the soul is the essence of the person.

Old 04-15-2024, 08:14 PM

63,812 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:

Instead of merely asserting a difference, it would help if you would specify what the differences are.

Old 04-15-2024, 08:18 PM

50,821 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:

my view is that the "essence" of the person is not the body, or the feelings, or the mind, or the brain, or the personality, or the thoughts, or the emotions, or the gender, or the career, or the finances, or the accomplishments. none of those. those vary from lifetime to lifetime in a series of incarnating and reincarnating. but rather the soul is the essence of the person.
wow...nice to see you state it that way

Old 04-16-2024, 06:40 AM

Quote:

So you see the soul as something we are born to be? but that would be somewhat the same as the mind. We feel emotions from what we experience and our brain, depending on how well it functions, determines what we feel and decide is right for ourselves. The soul is really the life that is in the body. When a body dies it can be brought back to life but not necessarily the soul, the person in the body doesn't always come back and that is when the body is either to badly damaged or the brain isn't functioning properly which leads to the mind no longer being there. The soul is the life sort of like the way the blood is the life of any human or animal body.

It's like a Frankenstein kind of situation where once dead to long the soul or essence of that person is gone but it could very well be in existence somewhere else just not in the physical body.

The body is physical, as we know, but the soul is spiritual it can be brought back or it can be to late to go back into the mind of the brain. Our experiences we learn from forms our emotions and in a way that determines what kind of soul we have. Like when a child is severely abused the mind and soul of that child will determine what that child grows up to be like. In many ways it seems the mind shapes the soul and emotions. Look at serial murderers what happened to them in their childhood that made them the way they became. No soul except for the body being made alive. It is hard to explain but it is what brings the body to life unless to severely damaged then it seems the soul moves on or just dies. Because people have come back to say they saw such and such that tells us the mind took the soul somewhere else and was aware the soul went somewhere else. Although that is not everyone's experience that essence of who, what we are being alive is gone. But where does it go? we just don't know unless we experience it.

Last edited by staystill; 04-16-2024 at 06:41 AM.. Reason: Been a long time since I thought about this.

Old 04-16-2024, 07:52 AM

19,034 posts, read 27,599,679 times
Quote:

The "soul" in terms, used by you, is not essence of a "person". "person", aka "personality", is a mask, developed and acquired by the portion of the Conscious Self, that contacts the physical body. A physical body is run by a dedicated unit of nature, highly developed, but not self-conscious, and dwelling in the voluntary and involuntary nervous systems. 99.8% of thinking is done by the body-mind and, only sometimes, by the Self itself.
I had several instances, when I wake up at night, completely oblivious of where I am and what I am. With only one firm understanding, that I AM. It is a bit eery sensation, then slowly, "persona" returns. Yet, very rewarding. That "I AM" is the soul.
"Soul", or the immortal, re-existing portion, is that that gives I-ness, I-AMness and Selfness. "soul" is what discerns I/Self from You/Them in the core. Everything else, defining a person, is what is highlighted in your post. It is as fleeing, as the existence itself, comes, flickers for a brief moment, rests, flickers again, and so on.

PS On a different note. My grandson is 3. He always refers to himself in the third person. Eric wants, Eric has... so on. There was only one instance, when he said - I want. He is yet not identifying himself, as Self. I am looking forward to that moment, as Self starts contacting the body somewhere around 3-5 years of age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality