Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2023, 05:54 PM

6,790 posts, read 2,897,870 times

Advertisements

This article is going back to 2012 but it only just now appeared on my online newsfeed. Did anyone see this?

I'm a theoretical physicist, here's why life after death is impossible

It's an age-old question - what happens to your mind and body after you die?

According to one US scientist - not much at all. In a recently resurfaced video from 2012, theoretical physicist Sean Carroll gave a talk on the matter.

The academic - an external professor at the Santa Fe Institute and Homewood Professor of Natural Philosophy at Johns Hopkins University - said that the 'the laws of physics underlying everyday life are completely understood'.

Because of this, once we stop existing as a physical being, Carroll explained, there is no material understanding of how we could continue to live in our world.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/austr...e05220683&ei=7

Your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2023, 06:54 PM

63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
This article is going back to 2012 but it only just now appeared on my online newsfeed. Did anyone see this?

According to one US scientist - not much at all. In a recently resurfaced video from 2012, theoretical physicist Sean Carroll gave a talk on the matter.

The academic - an external professor at the Santa Fe Institute and Homewood Professor of Natural Philosophy at Johns Hopkins University - said that the 'the laws of physics underlying everyday life are completely understood'.

Because of this, once we stop existing as a physical being, Carroll explained, there is no material understanding of how we could continue to live in our world.

Your thoughts?
Physicists have a built-in bias to things physical! They do not seem to realize that the very entity they ARE with the capacity to think and theorize about material things is not itself physical! We (the "Entities that Think") are transformed by the processes of the body and brain that are physical. But we exist at a higher level of energy (quanta) than the predominantly low-energy physical manifestations that comprise our material universe.

Our "Thinking Self" is formed as a pure BEC (Bose-Einstein Condensate) by the amplification of resonance across the synaptic firings produced by the brain. Although currently unmeasurable (like dark energy and dark matter) we reside within the entire universe (as all the measurable quanta do).

Old 09-03-2023, 07:01 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Who says we'll be living in our world?

Old 09-03-2023, 07:02 PM

33,221 posts, read 26,412,135 times
Quote:

Your thoughts?
Once you die you are no longer living in this world. Life after death presumes that you continue to exist in some spirit realm. I like Sean Carroll but I disagree with his opinion about this based on what you posted. Scientifically, life after death can neither be proven or disproven. I haven't read the article. Until I get an anti-virus program for my new PC I'm not going into links.

Old 09-03-2023, 07:26 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,247,667 times
There is no mind distinct from the body. So once the body dies it's lights out.

The mind-body distinction is a last-ditch effort to defend the idea of the soul.

Old 09-03-2023, 07:33 PM

22,143 posts, read 19,198,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
The mind-body distinction is a last-ditch effort to defend the idea of the soul.
that's funny. the soul doesn't need to defend anything or grasp at anything. because it is eternal.
it is only the mind and the ego that grasps, because the ego, and for some the intellect, believes itself to be only a physical body, a physical brain, a physical thinking mind. and yes all of those yes do wither and disappear when the physical body "dies" and decomposes.

the soul laughs and knows it is not those.

Old 09-03-2023, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
that's funny. the soul doesn't need to defend anything or grasp at anything. because it is eternal.
it is only the mind and the ego that grasps, because it believes itself to be a physical body, a physical brain, a physical thinking mind. all of those yes do disappear when the physical body "dies" and decomposes.

the soul laughs and knows it is not those.
Got any evidence for the soul?

Old 09-03-2023, 07:37 PM

22,143 posts, read 19,198,797 times
Quote:
Got any evidence for the soul?
that too is intellect and ego.
grasping. and gasping.

Old 09-03-2023, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
that too is intellect and ego.
grasping. and gasping.
I'll take that as a no.

Old 09-03-2023, 07:40 PM

19,956 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:

The soul is also the last-ditch effort to defend human specialness -- including special privilege above the rest of nature. We need to get over ourselves. We could make a better world for ourselves and for all living things if we quit thinking we're so entitled to ease and prosperity and moral certitude and a bunch of other things, and if we'd gain some epistemological humility and quit acting like the lords of creation (or like some imagined lord of creation considers us to be favorite sons).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality