Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2023, 01:16 PM

22,143 posts, read 19,198,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
I strongly suspect that folks who were abducted and probed (painfully) by "occupants" of UFOs certainly didn't experience "spirit beings" and would object to that conclusion.
And to compound THAT, there are Marian apparitions seen around the world. . . most famous (and documented) was the appearance at Fatima, Portugal. Does that imply that Roman Catholicism is "the Way"?
As to the existence of consciousness outside of the body, we can read about Robert Monroe's "Journeys out of the Body."IMHO, his report on the "other realm" is credible. Not only did he avoid using "religious" metaphors, but built a lab to discover what exactly was going on. . . and had assistance from two scientists who helped build and run the lab. His recordings of the sequence of brainwaves necessary to accomplish "exiting" was used to generate audio tools (Hemi-Sync), that induced the same pattern of brainwaves.One of his "science guys," Thomas Campbell, a NASA Physicist, wrote "My Big TOE" (TOE= "Theory of Everything") that links quantum physics, Newtonian physics, with Relativity. He can now explain conundrums and paradoxes like the famous "double slit" experiment... or even the Big Bang, where 'something' came from 'nothing' (A fact that annoys Physicists who demand causality to be in force and effect.)His experiments led him to discover that

consciousness (in or out of a body) can affect the material world, but the material world cannot affect consciousness. Thus, consciousness is the superset, and creation is the subset.
bold above yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2023, 01:34 PM

33,221 posts, read 26,412,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
I strongly suspect that folks who were abducted and probed (painfully) by "occupants" of UFOs certainly didn't experience "spirit beings" and would object to that conclusion.
And to compound THAT, there are Marian apparitions seen around the world. . . most famous (and documented) was the appearance at Fatima, Portugal. Does that imply that Roman Catholicism is "the Way"?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Our_Lady_of_F%C3%A1tima

As to the existence of consciousness outside of the body, we can read about Robert Monroe's "Journeys out of the Body."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Monroe

IMHO, his report on the "other realm" is credible. Not only did he avoid using "religious" metaphors, but built a lab to discover what exactly was going on. . . and had assistance from two scientists who helped build and run the lab. His recordings of the sequence of brainwaves necessary to accomplish "exiting" was used to generate audio tools (Hemi-Sync), that induced the same pattern of brainwaves.

One of his "science guys," Thomas Campbell, a NASA Physicist, wrote "My Big TOE" (TOE= "Theory of Everything") that links quantum physics, Newtonian physics, with Relativity. He can now explain conundrums and paradoxes like the famous "double slit" experiment... or even the Big Bang, where 'something' came from 'nothing' (A fact that annoys Physicists who demand causality to be in force and effect.)
His experiments led him to discover that consciousness (in or out of a body) can affect the material world, but the material world cannot affect consciousness. Thus, consciousness is the superset, and creation is the subset.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CL_bU4O0A4
The material world cannot affect consciousness? Ever been knocked unconscious by a punch to the side of your chin?

Old 09-04-2023, 01:53 PM

19,013 posts, read 14,188,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
The material world cannot affect consciousness? Ever been knocked unconscious by a punch to the side of your chin?
Physical unconscious state is not big "C" Consciousness.
Thomas Campbell explains it better than I can.
Physical unconsciousness is physiological (in the brain).
Consciousness is independent of the physical body. It evaluates the data stream (information) and interprets reality from it.

Old 09-04-2023, 02:02 PM

18,489 posts, read 9,151,071 times
I’m not too worried about the impossibility of life after death. To me, it’s a balm. I wouldn’t want to face an unknown eternity.

I feel bad for all of the religious people who spend their whole lives worried about non-existent dangers.

Old 09-04-2023, 02:12 PM

17,772 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
Got any evidence for the soul?
I am really fascinated by the soul.

One of the coolest things to happen when we get to heaven is to visit with persons who's souls really didn't get much chance to develop. Like your toddlers and your infants.

I'm really excited to visit with the souls of fetuses, and embryos. And even more excited to chat with the souls of blastocytes and zygotes.

The life experience of a soul who's actual life experience ended as a zygote would be a fascinating thing to hear about.

Now of course, you would need to be a "conceived again" Christian to be able to experience this.

This is because if your not... you will be in hell...

If you believe in the age of accountability there won't be any zygotes in hell. But if you believe that man is born "sinful and unclean"? Well, I'm not quite sure what that means for the zygotic soul... because a zygote can't really be "saved" by Baptism like your Catholic or Lutheran infant.

Who knows, maybe the mother's Baptism will allow the zygote to get to heaven.? But if that mother isn't Baptized... I'd suspect that all bets are off.

Old 09-04-2023, 02:14 PM

50,335 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I don’t pretend to know anything about theoretical physics, but I like to compare dying with the moment of conception. If we can be created in this seemingly impossible way, couldn’t there be an essence that remains after our physical body is gone? It one more unbelievable than the other?

Old 09-04-2023, 03:49 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,333,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
This article is going back to 2012 but it only just now appeared on my online newsfeed. Did anyone see this?

I'm a theoretical physicist, here's why life after death is impossible

It's an age-old question - what happens to your mind and body after you die?

According to one US scientist - not much at all. In a recently resurfaced video from 2012, theoretical physicist Sean Carroll gave a talk on the matter.

The academic - an external professor at the Santa Fe Institute and Homewood Professor of Natural Philosophy at Johns Hopkins University - said that the 'the laws of physics underlying everyday life are completely understood'.

Because of this, once we stop existing as a physical being, Carroll explained, there is no material understanding of how we could continue to live in our world.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/austr...e05220683&ei=7

Your thoughts?
" No material understanding ". I get it.

But that's not what we religious are talking about.

A material understanding looks for the " what " to understand the material world.

We theologians ( most, not all ) are looking for the " Who " to understand the everything.

Old 09-04-2023, 04:25 PM

2,765 posts, read 2,664,439 times
And he puts forth for Us a parable, and forgets his own creation.
He says: "Who will give life to these bones after they are rotten and have become dust?"
Say: (O Muhammad صلى الله عليه وسلم)
"He will give life to them Who created them for the first time! And He is the All-Knower of every creation!"
He Who produces for you fire out of the green tree, when behold you kindle therewith.
Is not He Who created the heavens and the earth, Able to create the like of them?
Yes, indeed! He is the All-Knowing Supreme Creator.
Verily, His Command, when He intends a thing, is only that He says to it, "Be!" - and it is!
So glorified be He and exalted above all that they associate with Him,
and in Whose Hands is the dominion of all things:
and to Him you shall be returned.

Old 09-04-2023, 04:52 PM

19,013 posts, read 14,188,739 times
How does reincarnation and the afterlife really work?
Thomas Campbell interview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jzeb3INsKDQ
Caveat - one's own consciousness will filter / interpret information "over there."
What is "truth" for Mr Campbell, may not be "truth" for you.
(A pickpocket who meets a saint, only sees his pockets...)
Intention controls awareness.

Other visitors often have slightly different experiences, unique to their own perspective.
Often strong religious beliefs will filter the data stream. Christians might meet Jesus. Buddhists might perceive Siddhartha.

Folks who have near death experiences often meet relatives, etc. Which are fleshy metaphors that one can comprehend. It takes some evolution to perceive entities who are dimensionless points of intellect, communicating with only emotion and imagery (there is no "language" - any words are metaphors).

AFAIK, there are folks who do "remember" past incarnations, hopefully their own. They may not remember everything, but have some snippets of important data.

A fascinating exposition on "that stuff" is the movie "Little Buddha." (1993)
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107426/
(it has the better trailer video - avoid the YouTube low res version)
"After the death of Lama Dorje, Tibetan Buddhist monks find three children - one American and two Nepalese - who may be the rebirth of their great teacher."
Spoiler
[Lamas conclude that Lama Dorje split into 3 individuals - in essence engaging in creation of new free will entities. That is something Bob Monroe hinted at in his last book "Far Journeys."]

The modern story is interspersed with a partial retelling of how Prince Siddhartha became the Buddha, the Enlightened One. Keanu Reeves is ethereal in the role.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Buddha
- - - -
Many Mansions, by Gina Cerminara (audio book)
Edgar Cayce’s Story of Reincarnation
(one of the best explorations of the mechanism of karmic justice)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmG86T2_GF4

Hope this helps.
It is comforting to know that we go on, evolving and "reducing entropy".

Old 09-04-2023, 05:37 PM

63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I don’t pretend to know anything about theoretical physics, but I like to compare dying with the moment of conception. If we can be created in this seemingly impossible way, couldn’t there be an essence that remains after our physical body is gone? It one more unbelievable than the other?
I think analogies (properly selected) can illuminate things that are otherwise difficult to comprehend. Our existence as Spirits is not easy to comprehend since we are totally conditioned to see ourselves as physical beings. My encounters in deep meditation convinced me that this material Reality is NOT the actual Reality (which is spiritual). Of course that runs counter to our entire experience as physical beings so comprehension of it is beyond our ken. It is why I had to spend so much time and effort over decades to convince my intellect that it was indeed compatible with what we have learned through science.

I believe an analogy to our physical conception and the birth of our body and brain CAN be understood IF we see it as the meeting of our "spiritual ovum" and God's Spirit (spiritual "insemination"). The spiritual "fetus" is our human spirit that develops from this merging (what we think of as our consciousness). Our developing "character" is our "spiritual body" developing in this spiritual "womb existence" that we consider our material Reality.

This is the process Jesus unsuccessfully tried to communicate to Nicodemus and our carnal-minded ancestors resulting in the need to use the "carnal milk" of physical resurrection. It is not at all surprising since our developing "embryo Spirits" are as separated from the spiritual Reality as our physical embryos were from our physical Reality. This undoubtedly accounts for the retention of the "carnal milk" of physical resurrection for over two millennia and counting. I will admit that as an atheist, I certainly would never have accepted such spiritual nonsense but for my encounters in deep meditation!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality