Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2023, 05:39 AM
nng nng started this thread

695 posts, read 289,278 times

Advertisements

We do the religious Christians in this country believe that people who aren't religious are bad and or flawed? Some Christians want the free thinkers and atheists to follow a religious lifestyle in that being an lgbt person is considered immoral and against God but theyre atheists so why should they care about your religious beliefs? It's almost as if they wish to impose their religious values and lifestyles onto everyone else. In Christianity being lgbt is a sin mothers working could be considered a sin as in the new testament encourages women to stay in the home etc. Why should I accept these kinds of traditional values if I don't even believe in your Christian version of a higher power/God. According to religion and Christianity their version of god is a divine dictator who if you aren't doing what he says or believe the right things you will be punished in eternity in hell. Why not embrace freedom. Christian values is fundamentally at odds with my instinctual nature and worldview. I'm too much of a free open minded spirit to be for rigid gender roles and traditionalism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2023, 06:24 AM
nng nng started this thread

695 posts, read 289,278 times
According to John piper all non Christians even if they are good are going to hell. For not believing in a specific religion. It's a bizarre belief and worldview imo. But they literally believe this.

Old 08-05-2023, 04:48 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,011,211 times
Actually It is not the Christians who hate sinners as Christians are all called to hate the sin and love the person ...... But according to the scriptures it is a sin against God to reject Him and His plan and purpose, and people who follow the liberal are under the spiritual authority of the unseen liberal fallen spirits of this world, which these spirits are alien to God and rejected by God ...... Still, God loves all the people of the earth who are alive ...... See Christians would like every one in the entire earth to know and follow the Lord God through Jesus and His spirit and that is the purpose which every one will live forever

Old 08-05-2023, 05:52 PM

22,152 posts, read 19,206,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nng View Post
We do the religious Christians in this country believe that people who aren't religious are bad and or flawed? Some Christians want the free thinkers and atheists to follow a religious lifestyle in that being an lgbt person is considered immoral and against God but theyre atheists so why should they care about your religious beliefs? It's almost as if they wish to impose their religious values and lifestyles onto everyone else. In Christianity being lgbt is a sin mothers working could be considered a sin as in the new testament encourages women to stay in the home etc. Why should I accept these kinds of traditional values if I don't even believe in your Christian version of a higher power/God. According to religion and Christianity their version of god is a divine dictator who if you aren't doing what he says or believe the right things you will be punished in eternity in hell. Why not embrace freedom. Christian values is fundamentally at odds with my instinctual nature and worldview. I'm too much of a free open minded spirit to be for rigid gender roles and traditionalism.
post above, and the questions it asks give rise to the following questions.

why do atheists in this country believe that people who aren't atheist can't think for themself and are not "free thinkers" or "open minded"?
Believers are not atheists so why should believers care about your views as an atheist?
Why do atheists think that believers do not embrace freedom?
Atheist views are fundamentally at odds with the instinctual nature and worldview of believers.
Thread title "Atheist worldview on things is fundamentally flawed"
why do the militant atheists in this country believe that people who aren't atheists are bad or flawed?

to sum it up: so what?

filing it under "low tolerance for different religious beliefs than their own" and "those who can't stop talking about that which they claim not to believe in or care about, and have supposedly left behind, but are still clearly fixated upon"

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 08-05-2023 at 06:09 PM..

Old 08-05-2023, 05:59 PM

although i gotta ask, which religion is it specifically that teaches "their version of God is a "divine dictator"
per the opening post

Old 08-05-2023, 06:03 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post

why do atheists in this country believe that people who aren't atheist can't think for themself and are not "free thinkers" or "open minded"?
Believers are not atheists so why should believers care about your views as an atheist?
Atheist views are fundamentally at odds with the instinctual nature and worldview of believers.
why do the militant atheists in this country believe that people who aren't atheists are bad or flawed?

filing it under "atheists who can't stop talking about that which they claim not to believe in or care about but are clearly fixated upon"
Okay...so let's take all your posts. So what? We could say that about anyone. It seems to me that you search for something to argue about with atheists.

Old 08-06-2023, 07:26 AM

16,768 posts, read 4,974,055 times
Quote:
Because you can not answer the questions, or want to evade them?

Quote:
Ignoring that you too are generalizing, many religious people can think for themselves, and are free thinkers and open minded. The problem is that they usually do not apply this to their religion, or are dishonest

Quote:
Open minded religious people would want to know about the views of atheists. First you imply religious people are "free thinkers" or "open minded", then you argue they should not be. You should choose which wedding you want to dance at.

Quote:
Again, ignoring that you are generalizing, many religious people do embrace freedom. It is those who do not who are the problem. And not just for atheists, for the religious as well. How many times do we need to explain this, or are you not open minded to different views?

Quote:
We have also explained this. You are also at odds with different religious beliefs. Just because most people are religious does not mean they are correct, just as all people see optical illusions. And considering the many different religious beliefs, many of them can not be correct. The fact there are many contradictory religious beliefs is evidence people invent religions, not that they are true. My guess is you are too close minded to understand what we have previously explained.

Quote:
Thread title "Atheist worldview on things is fundamentally flawed"
List them. Do not simply change the group as if that is a valid criticism, list what is wrong with our world view.

Quote:
How do you know they are militant? Have they posted pictures of their uniforms and weapons? Because if you are calling them militant because they are posting on the internet, so are you, which means you too are militant. Once again, we have explained this point to you. But I guess you have a close mind to rational alternatives.

Quote:

filing it under "low tolerance for different religious beliefs than their own" and "those who can't stop talking about that which they claim not to believe in or care about, and have supposedly left behind, but are still clearly fixated upon"
Ironic hypocrisy with your low tolerance of atheists, and your fixation with us. You have also misfiled, many of us are tolerant about religious beliefs. The problems are 1), when the religious try and force their beliefs on others (including other religious believers), and 2), it is normal for rational people to argue against opposing views, that is how we have progressed in society. But for some reason, too many close minded religious people think this should not apply to religion. They have a low tolerance for having their religious beliefs questioned, and one must ask why?

Old 08-06-2023, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Because you can not answer the questions, or want to evade them? Ignoring that you too are generalizing, many religious people can think for themselves, and are free thinkers and open minded. The problem is that they usually do not apply this to their religion, or are dishonest. Open minded religious people would want to know about the views of atheists. First you imply religious people are "free thinkers" or "open minded", then you argue they should not be. You should choose which wedding you want to dance at. Again, ignoring that you are generalizing, many religious people do embrace freedom. It is those who do not who are the problem. And not just for atheists, for the religious as well. How many times do we need to explain this, or are you not open minded to different views? We have also explained this. You are also at odds with different religious beliefs. Just because most people are religious does not mean they are correct, just as all people see optical illusions. And considering the many different religious beliefs, many of them can not be correct. The fact there are many contradictory religious beliefs is evidence people invent religions, not that they are true. My guess is you are too close minded to understand what we have previously explained. List them. Do not simply change the group as if that is a valid criticism, list what is wrong with our world view.How do you know they are militant? Have they posted pictures of their uniforms and weapons? Because if you are calling them militant because they are posting on the internet, so are you, which means you too are militant. Once again, we have explained this point to you. But I guess you have a close mind to rational alternatives.Ironic hypocrisy with your low tolerance of atheists, and your fixation with us. You have also misfiled, many of us are tolerant about religious beliefs. The problems are 1), when the religious try and force their beliefs on others (including other religious believers), and 2), it is normal for rational people to argue against opposing views, that is how we have progressed in society. But for some reason, too many close minded religious people think this should not apply to religion. They have a low tolerance for having their religious beliefs questioned, and one must ask why?

That is exactly the point i was making about the opening post.
The questions posed (in my post) and the response above, highlight the many problems with the opening post.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 08-06-2023 at 08:05 AM..

Old 08-06-2023, 07:44 AM

20,439 posts, read 12,779,436 times
Quote:
Why do the religious Christians in this country believe that people who aren't religious are bad and or flawed? Some Christians want the free thinkers and atheists to follow a religious lifestyle in that being an lgbt person is considered immoral and against God but theyre atheists so why should they care about your religious beliefs? It's almost as if they wish to impose their religious values and lifestyles onto everyone else. In Christianity being lgbt is a sin mothers working could be considered a sin as in the new testament encourages women to stay in the home etc. Why should I accept these kinds of traditional values if I don't even believe in your Christian version of a higher power/God. According to religion and Christianity their version of god is a divine dictator who if you aren't doing what he says or believe the right things you will be punished in eternity in hell. Why not embrace freedom. Christian values is fundamentally at odds with my instinctual nature and worldview. I'm too much of a free open minded spirit to be for rigid gender roles and traditionalism.
You misrepresent or misunderstand Christianity. Christians believe that everyone is “flawed” or sinful, by nature and by choice, and therefore guilty before our God and creator. God, in His mercy, became one of us and paid the penalty for our sins. We access that redemption through faith in the finished work of Jesus Christ on the cross.

Old 08-06-2023, 08:07 AM

5,903 posts, read 3,791,370 times
Quote:
Quote:
According to John piper all non Christians even if they are good are going to hell. For not believing in a specific religion. It's a bizarre belief and worldview imo. But they literally believe this.
The American Fundamental Conservative Evangelical type Christians cause more problems, directly or indirectly, than any other group in the United States. They cause strife, discord, animosity and hatred for anyone that goes against how they have interpreted the bible. We all know it's insane but what can we do about it?

Exactly what we are doing. Talking about it. The conservative christian numbers are dropping, but they aren't dropping in places like where I live. I think it's increasing because the Rapture/Armageddon believers are so sure the time is near for the end of days. What a disgusting and really sad belief. To not live in this life, to long for heaven and riches that don't exist. It is sad. This life has so much to offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality