Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2023, 11:07 AM

20,438 posts, read 12,775,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I'll give you one example -- even though YOU continue to not respond appropriately to my posts.

We all have to die. Why so frequently does it have to be a painful, sometimes agonizing death. Pick your poison, Horn -- cancer, stroke, murder, starvation, torture, leprosy, hiv...I could go on. REally, couldn't an all-powerful and ever-loving god do a little better. If he exists, he's a perverted sadist.
Given the ability to choose, mankind rebelled against God, our creator. Man said, “I don’t need You, God. I can build my world without You.” God said, “If you take that position, you will suffer and die.” Man took that position, and he began to suffer, and he has been dying ever since.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2023, 12:54 PM

50,765 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horn of ‘83 View Post
Given the ability to choose, mankind rebelled against God, our creator. Man said, “I don’t need You, God. I can build my world without You.” God said, “If you take that position, you will suffer and die.” Man took that position, and he began to suffer, and he has been dying ever since.
In other words, because some people were bad, everyone has to suffer. That's akin to sadism. If I had punished a classroom full of students, or a school full of students when I was a principal...I would have been fired. So, I fired god...not that one can really fire an imaginary being.

Old 08-06-2023, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Quote:
In other words, because some people were bad, everyone has to suffer. That's akin to sadism. If I had punished a classroom full of students, or a school full of students when I was a principal...I would have been fired. So, I fired god...not that one can really fire an imaginary being.
Did your school teach reading comprehension (bolded above)?

Old 08-06-2023, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Did your school teach reading comprehension (bolded above)?
"Mankind" has never done anything. Individuals and groups have.

Old 08-06-2023, 03:43 PM

Quote:
"Mankind" has never done anything. Individuals and groups have.
You should be able to see that mankind as a whole has made a mess of things, throughout human history.

Old 08-06-2023, 03:53 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,083,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nng View Post
According to John piper all non Christians even if they are good are going to hell. For not believing in a specific religion. It's a bizarre belief and worldview imo. But they literally believe this.
What’s the Jewish take on this?

Aren’t all Jews going to Heaven because the belief is, “if you are a Jew, there is no hell for you regardless of how immoral, sinful, and unjust to others you are. All Jews are going to go to Heaven. And all non-Jews are destined to hell or to a place where Jews are not.”

Old 08-06-2023, 04:25 PM

501 posts, read 167,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nng View Post
We do the religious Christians in this country believe that people who aren't religious are bad and or flawed? Some Christians want the free thinkers and atheists to follow a religious lifestyle in that being an lgbt person is considered immoral and against God but theyre atheists so why should they care about your religious beliefs? It's almost as if they wish to impose their religious values and lifestyles onto everyone else. In Christianity being lgbt is a sin mothers working could be considered a sin as in the new testament encourages women to stay in the home etc. Why should I accept these kinds of traditional values if I don't even believe in your Christian version of a higher power/God. According to religion and Christianity their version of god is a divine dictator who if you aren't doing what he says or believe the right things you will be punished in eternity in hell. Why not embrace freedom. Christian values is fundamentally at odds with my instinctual nature and worldview. I'm too much of a free open minded spirit to be for rigid gender roles and traditionalism.
You're simply ranting against Christians' understanding of Truth. The issue for any religion is not any individual's "instinctual nature and worldview" but rather ultimate Truth.

In Christians' understanding of Truth, God has a particular nature. God has decreed what is moral and what is not. God has decreed what is required for salvation. God has decreed the fate of those who reject Christian Truth. God has charged Christians with spreading the Gospel message to all, even those who don't want to hear it.

You reject all this, which is your prerogative. If Christian Truth is, in fact, ultimate Truth, you will have made a blunder with dire eternal consequences. If it isn't ultimate Truth, then perhaps your instinctual nature and worldview will have no adverse consequences at all.

Why not "embrace freedom" as you define it? Because Christians don't believe your instinctual nature and worldview are ultimate Truth. They believe your position will have dire eternal consequences for those who adopt it.

My question for you would be, how informed is your instinctual nature and worldview? How diligent has been your quest for ultimate Truth? If, as I suspect, you are saying little more than that you find Christianity unappealing and contrary to your notions of the way things ought to be - well, OK, but a position on ultimate Truth that is based on little more than instinct is pretty shallow and shaky.

Old 08-06-2023, 04:50 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,083,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O'Darby View Post
You're simply ranting against Christians' understanding of Truth. The issue for any religion is not any individual's "instinctual nature and worldview" but rather ultimate Truth.

In Christians' understanding of Truth, God has a particular nature. God has decreed what is moral and what is not. God has decreed what is required for salvation. God has decreed the fate of those who reject Christian Truth. God has charged Christians with spreading the Gospel message to all, even those who don't want to hear it.

You reject all this, which is your prerogative. If Christian Truth is, in fact, ultimate Truth, you will have made a blunder with dire eternal consequences. If it isn't ultimate Truth, then perhaps your instinctual nature and worldview will have no adverse consequences at all.

Why not "embrace freedom" as you define it? Because Christians don't believe your instinctual nature and worldview are ultimate Truth. They believe your position will have dire eternal consequences for those who adopt it.

My question for you would be, how informed is your instinctual nature and worldview? How diligent has been your quest for ultimate Truth? If, as I suspect, you are saying little more than that you find Christianity unappealing and contrary to your notions of the way things ought to be - well, OK, but a position on ultimate Truth that is based on little more than instinct is pretty shallow and shaky.
Even though I don’t prescribe to modern day Christianity but philosophically speaking, this is a good post to explain the philosophy of Christian theology.

Old 08-06-2023, 05:24 PM

Quote:
You should be able to see that mankind as a whole has made a mess of things, throughout human history.
Nope. But go ahead, you claim the mess for yourself. It's all on you.

Old 08-06-2023, 07:50 PM

22,143 posts, read 19,198,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
What’s the Jewish take on this?

Aren’t all Jews going to Heaven because the belief is, “if you are a Jew, there is no hell for you regardless of how immoral, sinful, and unjust to others you are. All Jews are going to go to Heaven. And all non-Jews are destined to hell or to a place where Jews are not.”
no that is not the Jewish view at all.
the post above is spreading mis-information. if someone is taught that about Judaism, then it comes from a source which is in my view malicious.

the jewish view is that there is no "hell" for anyone because hell does not exist. Hell and eternal torment is an invention of Crstnty (circa the year 200 CE) and adopted by Islam (circa the year 600 CE).
https://www.city-data.com/forum/63741617-post119.html

Crstnty and Islam do not recognize reincarnation, they have hell and eternal torment
Buddhism, Judaism (and other religions) have reincarnation, there is no eternal punishment.

In Judaism (circa 3500 BCE), it's not necessary for a person to be Jewish to end up in Olam Haba (World to Come) or Gan Eden; it depends on a person's relationship with God. And in Judaism there is no hell. For anyone. Hell is an invention of Crstnty. The Jewish view is that God is available and accessible to everyone regardless of a person's path of religion and spirituality.

"The righteous of the nations [non Jews] have a share in Olam Ha-Ba. You don’t have to be Jewish to fulfill the divine purpose for which you were created." Judaism views all of humankind as created in the image of God, and cares about the physical and spiritual well-being of all humans.

https://aish.com/48971646/

https://www.chabad.org/library/artic...-Afterlife.htm

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 08-06-2023 at 08:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality