Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2023, 10:51 AM

20,439 posts, read 12,779,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
So until the time of Moses, people did not know good from bad?
Yes, they did. God told Adam & Eve what to do and not do. Cain had a built-in sense of right and wrong. He knew that his attitude toward his brother was wrong. God told Cain to resist the sinful nature, but instead Cain allowed it to rule over him, and he murdered his brother. This was a sin, even though no written law said it was. Abraham obeyed God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2023, 01:10 PM

975 posts, read 535,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Actually It is not the Christians who hate sinners as Christians are all called to hate the sin and love the person ...... But according to the scriptures it is a sin against God to reject Him and His plan and purpose, and people who follow the liberal are under the spiritual authority of the unseen liberal fallen spirits of this world, which these spirits are alien to God and rejected by God ...... Still, God loves all the people of the earth who are alive ...... See Christians would like every one in the entire earth to know and follow the Lord God through Jesus and His spirit and that is the purpose which every one will live forever
That is not my experience of christians. I have some very loving relatives who are christian missionaries but I have been judged and condemned by other christians and it has nothing to do with hating a sin and loving a sinner, it has to do with fear and hate of anything or anyone different.

Old 08-07-2023, 01:29 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horn of ‘83 View Post
While scripture tells us that God has used certain people for His purposes, isn’t true you have a choice to do good or evil? To believe in God or not?
Those are 2 different things.

Old 08-07-2023, 01:30 PM

Quote:
God did teach us good from bad-the Ten Commandments.
That's ONE system of morality.

Old 08-07-2023, 03:06 PM

18,491 posts, read 9,154,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nng View Post
According to John piper all non Christians even if they are good are going to hell. For not believing in a specific religion. It's a bizarre belief and worldview imo. But they literally believe this.

It's what I was taught growing up in fundamentalist Christianity. It's pretty much official doctrine in those circles.

Old 08-07-2023, 03:17 PM

18,491 posts, read 9,154,471 times
Quote:
Given the ability to choose, mankind rebelled against God, our creator. Man said, “I don’t need You, God. I can build my world without You.” God said, “If you take that position, you will suffer and die.” Man took that position, and he began to suffer, and he has been dying ever since.

And it's a good thing too, otherwise humans would be stacked 100 feet deep over every square foot of the planet by now.

No death = massive overpopulation problem.

Old 08-07-2023, 05:00 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
While scripture tells us that God has used certain people for His purposes, isn’t true you have a choice to do good or evil? To believe in God or not?
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Sadly, Religious leaders chose to focus on BELIEFS and not the behavior. When they do focus on the behavior it was as if we are in an obedience trial. They act as if our entire purpose is to OBEY God's specific commands OR ELSE instead of BECOMING someone who doesn't want to do the things that are selfishly unkind, unloving, inconsiderate, wicked, or evil.

Old 08-07-2023, 06:53 PM

20,439 posts, read 12,779,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Yes, I know. My point is, even if God knows what will happen, from our perspective, we still have choices.

Old 08-07-2023, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Yes, I know. My point is, even if God knows what will happen, from our perspective, we still have choices.
So you knew it, but tried to cloud the discussion with the comment. Is that the christian way?

Last edited by phetaroi; 08-07-2023 at 07:56 PM..

Old 08-07-2023, 07:32 PM

7,593 posts, read 6,082,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
It's what I was taught growing up in fundamentalist Christianity. It's pretty much official doctrine in those circles.
ME TOO

The few atheists we had in town were the nicest , most educated most intelligent and most moral persons....
BUT They were all going to HELL because they did not believe the right thing

I think the idea of a "right belief" was the final nail in the coffin so to speak for my leaving Christianity
While for a while I remained a theist, but not a Christian, I finally discovered that liberating (and logical ) reality called atheism

I also understand why Christian Fundies , for example, fear us Atheists. The evidence, logic and reason we present adds up; whereas, theirs does not SO of course, they stand to lose numbers and money to our thinking...which is based on logic, reason and evidence....all of which makes up the reality of the human experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality