Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2023, 01:30 PM

3,104 posts, read 1,000,279 times

Advertisements

"In shallow men the fish of little thoughts cause much commotion. In oceanic minds the whales of inspiration make hardly a ruffle." - Sri Yukteswar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2023, 02:20 PM

15,943 posts, read 7,009,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farm fatale View Post
"In shallow men the fish of little thoughts cause much commotion. In oceanic minds the whales of inspiration make hardly a ruffle." - Sri Yukteswar
Be Oceanic, yes!

Old 03-10-2023, 06:48 PM

22,138 posts, read 19,198,797 times
Quote:
i love this!

Old 03-10-2023, 06:52 PM

22,138 posts, read 19,198,797 times
“You pervade this universe and this universe exists in you.
You are really Pure Consciousness by nature.
Do not be small-minded.”

--- Ashtavakra Gita, chap. 1, verse 16

Old 03-11-2023, 09:27 AM

15,943 posts, read 7,009,348 times
Default The 3 Bodies

The human has 3 bodies – the body that is material and visible, that is born with organs and limbs, and will decay and die.

The second is the invisible, non material body. This body is caused by previous impressions of karmas. Endowed with powers of perception such as sight, hearing, touch etc., it is equipped with intellect and mind and is capable of thought, memory, doubts, emotions and feelings, needs and desires. This body is the Signifier of life, of breath, of sentience, the experiencer of the fruits of karmas, both positive and negative. It expresses its desires, needs, and emotions by the means, and within the limitations, of the material body.
As Brhman exists everywhere, it exists in both in the inert gross body and the immaterial invisible body. The mind and intellect are illuminated by the self-illumined and always present Brhman, which is known as Atman when within the human body. It is this Signifier body by which the individual understands Atma and attains Oneness with Brhman.
But, just as a glass takes on the color of the wine that is poured into it but is not really red, this signifier body with the reflection of the pure awareness that is Atman, instead creates the ego, the “I” ness. By this superimposition of the false ego, the “I” ness, over its true self, the Atma, it creates its own barrier to knowing Brhman.
The ego, enabled with the power to act because of Atma, but now with the false identification of and ownership with the material body, executes its desires through the material body. The results from these actions, karmas, belong to this Signifier body, not the Atma which is always pure, free, and unattached.
At death, the signifier leaves the inert material body, carrying the mind, breath, and the karmas and becomes unmanifest until the time it manifests again in a human body. The dead body returns to the earth where it came from and becomes manure. Atma remains as Brhman.

-- Viveka-Choodamani by Shankara. (The Crest-Jewel of Wisdom)
-- Commentary by Swami Dayananda Saraswati. (My summary - any errors are mine.)

Old 03-11-2023, 09:48 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
Oh my, I only heard of the Ashtavakra Gita last year!! And bought a copy.
I can now spell it without checking.

Consider a piece of cloth, it is only threads!
So all creation, when you look closely is only the Self.

Ch 2:5

Old 03-12-2023, 07:51 AM

29,526 posts, read 9,700,562 times
Quote:
Little or oceanic, seems we're back to giving thoughts their due again. I like it!

Old 03-12-2023, 10:04 AM

„Exchange unprofitable religious speculations for actual God-contact. Clear your mind of dogmatic theological debris; let in the fresh, healing waters of direct perception.“ — Lahiri Mahasaya

Old 03-12-2023, 10:13 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
The degree of freedom from unwanted thoughts and the degree of concentration
on a single thought are the measures to gauge spiritual progress.

- Ramana Maharshi

(I did not know he said this! YES!)

Old 03-13-2023, 06:17 PM

“Stillness is the altar of Spirit. Where motion ceases, Spirit begins to manifest.” - Paramahansa Yogananda
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality