Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2023, 07:26 AM

16,185 posts, read 7,154,494 times

Advertisements

The “I” ness that we experience, the ego, is a time bound historical person, with his own history based on the experiences he has gone through. This history is not a happy one. Of all the experiences that are stored in that history, what we generally remember are the painful ones. This is because happiness is natural to us, so we dont remember those happy experiences. Pain, on the other hand, is not natural to us and that is why we remember the experiences that caused it. This is the ego, the complaining person, who is subject to change.
But the Self, the Witness-consciousness that illuminates the different states of being, undergoes no change, always remains the same.
— Swami Dayananda Saraswati
Verse 136. Vivekachoodamani.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2023, 02:10 PM

22,792 posts, read 19,397,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
The “I” ness that we experience, the ego, is a time bound historical person, with his own history based on the experiences he has gone through. This history is not a happy one. Of all the experiences that are stored in that history, what we generally remember are the painful ones. This is because happiness is natural to us, so we dont remember those happy experiences. Pain, on the other hand, is not natural to us and that is why we remember the experiences that caused it. This is the ego, the complaining person, who is subject to change.
But the Self, the Witness-consciousness that illuminates the different states of being, undergoes no change, always remains the same.
indeed !!!

i love this.
and since the happiness of Self is our natural state, it is accessible to us at any time and is constant,.

Old 04-17-2023, 10:18 AM

29,606 posts, read 9,820,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
I notice it's very uncommon for any of these notions to be questioned in any critical way, and/or it's far more common there is no question whatsoever. In the context of this thread, assumptions and purpose, I can understand the inclination. What's the point of questioning these notions anyway? Still, I read them, consider them from a bit different a perspective, and sometimes, I really have to wonder...

This notion, for example, that "happiness is natural to us." Is this to be assumed a truth or is there better or other justification to believe this notion is in fact true? I ask, because there is a good amount of what else to consider that suggests that happiness is not a natural state.

"A huge happiness and positive thinking industry, estimated to be worth US$11 billion a year, has helped to create the fantasy that happiness is a realistic goal. Chasing the happiness dream is a very American concept, exported to the rest of the world through popular culture. Indeed, “the pursuit of happiness” is one of the US’s “unalienable rights”. Unfortunately, this has helped to create an expectation that real life stubbornly refuses to deliver."

https://theconversation.com/humans-a...-trying-119262

I get that happiness is a worthy goal of course. It's certainly one of mine, and I'm glad I can say I seem able to enjoy happiness more than what I see as average among people around me. In all variety of ways, but I don't believe it's a natural state generally speaking.

Please forgive the intrusion...

Old 04-17-2023, 12:35 PM

21,017 posts, read 19,492,490 times
You know, you guys are welcome to start a discussion thread of your own on Hindu ideas.
Question 'notions' all ya want on that thread...I'll join in... maybe.

C'ya.

Old 04-17-2023, 12:50 PM

551 posts, read 197,628 times
“Set thy heart upon thy work, but never on its reward.” – Quote from Gita

“The awakened sages call a person wise when all his undertakings are free from anxiety about results.” – Lord Krishna

Old 04-17-2023, 12:57 PM

16,750 posts, read 15,789,546 times
This thread was started specifically to be "Quotes from Hindu teachers."

Yeah, a lot of threads drift a bit from the original topic, but this one was started with a very specific purpose in mind. If you have some posts from Hindu teachers, feel free to post them. If you want to discuss the Hindu religion, perhaps another thread would be a better fit.

Old 04-18-2023, 11:51 AM

29,606 posts, read 9,820,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
This thread was started specifically to be "Quotes from Hindu teachers."

Yeah, a lot of threads drift a bit from the original topic, but this one was started with a very specific purpose in mind. If you have some posts from Hindu teachers, feel free to post them. If you want to discuss the Hindu religion, perhaps another thread would be a better fit.
Not sure who you are referring to, but I was discussing the quote. From a Hindu teacher I presume. Not the Hindu religion. Is that considered a drift?

Old 04-18-2023, 12:53 PM

3,234 posts, read 1,071,786 times
I, for instance, don't read the comments here, I'm not interested. I only read the quotes, that's all. Some people don't even understand the quotes but comment on them. There are tons of threads on the R/S forum, why not go there and comment/discuss? One can literally talk there for decades on n subjects.

Old 04-18-2023, 05:27 PM

88,885 posts, read 85,369,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Not sure who you are referring to, but I was discussing the quote. From a Hindu teacher I presume. Not the Hindu religion. Is that considered a drift?
Yes. It is supposed to be quotes only. There is a similar Christian quotes thread in the Christianity forum, but since there is no specific Hindu forum, this thread was created for that purpose--to share quotes.

If a particular quote prompts thoughts you wish to further discuss, we can start a thread on "Discussion of Hindu Thought" or some such.

Old 04-20-2023, 05:29 AM

16,185 posts, read 7,154,494 times
“When the mind is observed and analyzed carefully
It becomes clear that there is no such thing as the mind
This path to knowing is available for all.”

— Upadesa Sara. V 17
— Ramana Maharishi
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality