Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2023, 09:19 AM

15,943 posts, read 7,009,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalAngel2009 View Post
The Creator, in taking infinite pains to shroud with mystery His presence in every creation, could have but one motive - a sensitive desire that men seek Him only through free will.

Paramahansa Yogananda
Lovely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2023, 10:28 AM

63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalAngel2009 View Post
The Creator, in taking infinite pains to shroud with mystery His presence in every creation, could have but one motive - a sensitive desire that men seek Him only through free will.

Paramahansa Yogananda
That understanding renders ANY so-called "OR ELSE" dogma misguided.

Old 03-07-2023, 08:49 AM

The object of Vedanta is the unmanifested, the uncreated, the complete bliss, that joy supreme.

—Shankara

Old 03-07-2023, 09:44 AM

29,526 posts, read 9,700,562 times
I had not noticed this thread some time ago when it got started, but I just noticed it today due to a recent comment posted, and I read through all the quotes. From doing so, I noticed two things in particular...

First, there is a fair amount of sharing but little in the way of discussion.

Secondly, I wonder how many similar sayings, observations or words of "wisdom" I could similarly write by simply describing a way of looking at things without definition, skepticism or observation beyond the nebulous descriptions of self and awareness. Descriptions that all read to me like an effort to suggest further knowledge, awareness and scrutiny is human folly. For example, how about this one?

"To think there is more to thought than thought itself is to reduce thought to limits which prevent the transcendence toward the one truth readily available to all of us."

Before you answer and before you look it up, please ask yourself how does this quote compare to the others? If you had to guess, would you say it is an actual quote from a Hindu teacher? Or could be?

Old 03-07-2023, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I had not noticed this thread some time ago when it got started, but I just noticed it today due to a recent comment posted, and I read through all the quotes. From doing so, I noticed two things in particular...

First, there is a fair amount of sharing but little in the way of discussion.

Secondly, I wonder how many similar sayings, observations or words of "wisdom" I could similarly write by simply describing a way of looking at things without definition, skepticism or observation beyond the nebulous descriptions of self and awareness. Descriptions that all read to me like an effort to suggest further knowledge, awareness and scrutiny is human folly. For example, how about this one?

"To think there is more to thought than thought itself is to reduce thought to limits which prevent the transcendence toward the one truth readily available to all of us."

Before you answer and before you look it up, please ask yourself how does this quote compare to the others? If you had to guess, would you say it is an actual quote from a Hindu teacher? Or could be?

I think there is little discussion because the context is evident. The source is meaningful. Both are important in understanding and, more importantly, recognizing the meaning and it resonates with one. And thus mutual joy in sharing and receiving. I love this thread for that reason and many thanks to Ms.H

"The quality of mercy is not strained."
This may have no meaning at all and rather inscrutable to those who have never been exposed to Shakespeare.
But to one who knows his work and knows the context? Oh what a rich statement it is and all the meanings that it unravels including the question of anti-semitism, sexism, racism, history, not to mention Shakespeare himself. That recognition and knowing is endlessly joyous.
One may google it and still may have no resonance. That is due to our individual conditioning, education, sensibility and so many other things.

Old 03-08-2023, 09:24 AM

Anyone else?

Old 03-08-2023, 09:56 AM

Quote:

Anyone else?
Could you provide attribution to the quote if it is not your own? The topic is “Quotes from Hindu Teachers.”

Old 03-09-2023, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Could you provide attribution to the quote if it is not your own? The topic is “Quotes from Hindu Teachers.”
I was hoping for you, someone, anyone to comment about the quote before doing so...

Does it resonate with you? Make sense? Do you agree with the quote?

If so, why? If not, why?

Old 03-09-2023, 10:33 AM

Quote:
I was hoping for you, someone, anyone to comment about the quote before doing so...

Does it resonate with you? Make sense? Do you agree with the quote?

If so, why? If not, why?
is this a test? a game?
Can you stay on topic?

Old 03-09-2023, 11:29 AM

63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:

Anyone else?
It s inherently contradictory to whatever it is intended to convey. To think there is MORE to something is not to REDUCE or limit it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality