Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2023, 06:21 AM

551 posts, read 190,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
He was from New Brunswick, so Exit 9 on the Turnpike!
Queens roots here. Far Rockaway. At that time my Sacred Circle was nature. Jamaica Bay and Atlantic Ocean, but the heart of the circle was the Adirondack Park where I now live. What I've come to understand is the circle is much wider, in fact infinite. It's all there really is, even here. Even the Jersey Turnpike!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2023, 06:59 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustASimpleGuy View Post
Queens roots here. Far Rockaway. At that time my Sacred Circle was nature. Jamaica Bay and Atlantic Ocean, but the heart of the circle was the Adirondack Park where I now live. What I've come to understand is the circle is much wider, in fact infinite. It's all there really is, even here. Even the Jersey Turnpike!!
Ah, the Adirondacks! Beautiful. I spent much of the last few years on a lake in rural Ontario. I miss the sound of loons calling. I truly felt immersed in the sacred circle up there.

Even back now on the Jersey coast, there is much sacredness to be found if you know where to look, but eventually, I think I will land somewhere upstate myself.

Old 07-11-2023, 11:18 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,529,748 times
https://youtu.be/MEnYkp0bCIg

Northern drum

Old 07-25-2023, 07:11 PM

https://youtu.be/fuXaOo3EgzE

I don't have the internet anymore so when I post here it's from my cell phone.

Old 07-28-2023, 12:23 PM

971 posts, read 533,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
I suppose that I have no belief. I honor those that have them, truly I do, regardless of what shape their religion takes. In fact, I somewhat envy them their faith. It would be nice to have a soft place to land.

As for me, I don't know why, I just never have had faith. Even as a child, I couldn't connect with the abstract. So, I teach my children religion (as I said, I envy those that have faith, and I am very pleased that my eldest dd has a lot of it) and I sit in church but I feel like an imposter. Conversly, when my daughter was born I knew that there had to be a God to make birth the miracle that it is. But how to connect? I really don't know.
This makes me sad and is why I do not participate in religion because it has nothing to do with god, it is about giving yourself to someone else's belief. You don't need faith, like hope, that is a crutch with no real value. If either keeps you going when you want to quit, ok, that is value, but as a practical way of thinking it is not helpful, for example you seem to be thinking there is something wrong with you, when in reality it is something right with you. Faith is not fitting into someone else's religion, it is knowing who you are in relation to the world. That word faith is misused all the time.

Old 07-28-2023, 12:30 PM

15,943 posts, read 7,009,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat56 View Post
This makes me sad and is why I do not participate in religion because it has nothing to do with god, it is about giving yourself to someone else's belief. You don't need faith, like hope, that is a crutch with no real value. If either keeps you going when you want to quit, ok, that is value, but as a practical way of thinking it is not helpful, for example you seem to be thinking there is something wrong with you, when in reality it is something right with you. Faith is not fitting into someone else's religion, it is knowing who you are in relation to the world. That word faith is misused all the time.
Yes, well said. I agree.

Old 10-07-2023, 08:54 PM

I agree.

I try not to get into discussions about religions. But I am very open to learning about other cultures and other beliefs and the music that goes along with it.

Old 10-09-2023, 09:42 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,083,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustASimpleGuy View Post
Queens roots here too.
Forest Hills and then Smithtown before moving to Midwest.
Dearly miss the street food - that chicken over rice at the food-cart on Homelawn st and Jamaica Ave was something else.

And even now, whenever I visit nyc, from LaGuardia I go straight to Bakhtar Kabab in Fresh Meadows. For me, it is THE BEST Mediterranean food in the world!

Old 10-10-2023, 10:47 AM

I would like to share some Native American Church songs. They used to be called Peyote songs. Each song is a prayer. The Native American Church was outlawed by the US government until the early 1900s. An anthropologist and a politician from Texas took part in a Native American Church meeting. And they made it possible for the Native Americans to participate in the Native American Church meetings.

https://youtu.be/fuXaOo3EgzE?si=rQIlsRVeplyw0u9b

Old 12-20-2023, 10:46 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,654,459 times
about three months ago I lost my life partner and I must say that things are very different around here, is too quiet and I miss the sound of her voice. isn't it interesting how you get use to hearing certain things and take them for granted and how you miss them greatly when they are no longer there. It changes the whole dynamics of your life. Throughout our daily lives we can use to certain sounds and voices and when they are no longer there and upsets the balance and then we wonder what is to become of ourselves without the comfort of the sounds. Over the past couple of months I have become to accept the fact that I will no longer hear those comforting sounds again and it is hard to accept but the fact is I must and so I will carry on with her memory forever in my heart, my soul, and my being. I will take the time to mourn and continue to live in honor the best I can. Osiyo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality