Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2022, 07:24 PM

15,984 posts, read 7,044,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
My friend is a hippy born out of time (1980). At 1,88 meters, with big hair, in his house I have to duck to avoid walking into his Indian dust catchers. He and his mouse like wife are some of the most nice people I know. It is difficult to imagine people like my friend and his wife being considered scary.
Native American Dream catcher?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2022, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I agree. I was just channeling the expressed concerns and pearl-clutching of the generation that the Hippies challenged. I have never met an actual Hippie that was anything but harmless, and they are not all stoners either, etc.

They CAN be a bit odd, as can we all. There's an aging hippie couple in my neighborhood and the wife is known as "snake lady" because she keeps large reptiles in her home and is eager to talk about the wonders of this practice to any and all. But they are still a sweet couple and apart from not being able to have a conversation of less than 30 minutes with them (likely involving snakes) should you encounter them on a walk, I find them totally innocuous.

My 18 year old grandson has a pet snake. He also has a snake tattoo. Among others. Yeah, he could have been a hippie alright if he was 18 in the 60’s.

Old 07-09-2022, 07:17 AM

Mira’s Colors
BY MIRABAI
TRANSLATED BY CHLOE MARTINEZ
I’m dyed dark with him.

I dressed up / put on ankle-bells / gave up on shame / danced

I’ve taken on his deep hue.

I took up with mystics / got called perverse / was faithful, true, in my body

I’m colored with his colors.

I sang night and day / described his qualities / escaped time, death, snakes

His colors seep through me.

The whole world would taste bitter / without him / it would all be useless

I’m blue like my beloved.

Mira says, O Mountain-lifter, listen / I’m drenched in your sweetness

Translated from the Braj-Bhasha, below
____

मैं तो सांवरे के रंग राची॥
साजि सिंगार बांधि पग घुंघरू, लोक लाज तजि नाची।
गई कुमति लई साधु की संगति, भगत रूप भै सांची।
गाय गाय हरि के गुण निसदिन, काल ब्याल सूँ बांची।
उण बिन सब जग खारो लागत, और बात सब कांची।
मीरा श्री गिरधरनलाल सूँ, भगति रसीली जांची॥

Notes:
Read the note on this poem by Chloe Martinez.
Source: Poetry (May 2022)
THIS POEM APPEARS IN
Stone pillars in a green field. Their shadows spelling POETRY. A tourist waves and takes a selfie.
Read Issue
https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poe...9/miras-colors

Old 07-14-2022, 11:18 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,662,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
We won't hurt you. But at least it's not the Pagan forum. They are even more prevalent there.

Besides, the sacred circle thread was begun by an indigenous American, not a hippie. Although, I suppose he might be both.
I don't know whether to thank you MQ or not, I don't think I've ever been called a hippie but I imagine that it could be interesting after all I think hippies is a 60s and 70s thing and sort of pattern themselves after Native Americans, so I guess it can't be all bad...Babe-Ruth, you are more than welcome to join us at any time. Perhaps you would like to tell us a little bit about yourself

Old 07-14-2022, 05:46 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,401,123 times
People that were not hippies were scary ...well, not really -- I flowed with them ok...even the police.

Mirabai, eh?

Old 07-31-2022, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
People that were not hippies were scary ...well, not really -- I flowed with them ok...even the police.

Mirabai, eh?
Yes, Miss H. A hippie through and through she was.

Old 07-31-2022, 09:24 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,657,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Yes, Miss H. A hippie through and through she was.
Oh...cb!
So wonderful to see you.
I missed you terribly

Old 07-31-2022, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Oh...cb!
So wonderful to see you.
I missed you terribly
Thank you, GR.
Cant say I missed much though. Did some wonderful reading and had great discussions on philosophy. I am currently reading this book, Cosmopolitanism - Ethics in a World of Strangers, by Kwame Anthony Appiah. I had read it a while ago. Upon re-reading it I realized how much i missed the first time, and how much more I am getting from the text on this reading. Texts reveal to us as much as what we bring to it of ourselves.

Old 08-01-2022, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
Who will sit with me in the sacred circle of peace, harmony and understanding.
Among my culture we have a tradition that has existed for centuries.

Whenever we come together to discuss things of great importance it is always done within the sacred circle. Anyone is welcome to come and sit within the sacred circle and participate in the discussions, however all animosity, hatred and prejudice are left outside of the sacred circle, these things are not allowed within its confines and each individual who steps within the sacred circle is expected to help govern it and be responsible to see to it that peace, harmony, and understanding prevail within the sacred circle.

So now my brothers and sisters, I invite you to step within the sacred circle and tell us about your beliefs or non-beliefs without criticism or animosity to one another.

Remember, all are welcomed here who come with a good heart.
In that spirit here is a Sanskrit mantra that reflects the very same from the Taittiriya Upanishad. It is chanted at the beginning and ending of a discussion/chanting of the Vedic Texts, both by the teacher and the students.

Om Saha navavatu
Saha nau bhunaktu
Saha viryam karavavahai
Tejasvi navadhitamastu
Ma vidvisavahai
Om Shantih, Shantih, Shantih

English Translation:

OM.
May we be protected both Teacher and Student.)
May we be helped so we both enjoy a fruitful discussion (from our study)
May we together endeavor with great effort to find the Truth in the Text
May our studies enlighten us and may we not quarrel.
OM. Peace. Peace. Peace

The 3 recitation of Peace is to remove obstacles = Unseen, Seen and Known, Subjective, within ourselves in our own mind that hinder understanding.

Invariably there is always the same thread of wisdom that connects all systems of belief.

Old 08-01-2022, 11:02 AM

16,798 posts, read 4,996,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Thank you, GR.
Cant say I missed much though. Did some wonderful reading and had great discussions on philosophy. I am currently reading this book, Cosmopolitanism - Ethics in a World of Strangers, by Kwame Anthony Appiah. I had read it a while ago. Upon re-reading it I realized how much i missed the first time, and how much more I am getting from the text on this reading. Texts reveal to us as much as what we bring to it of ourselves.
I had to Google Herr Appiah, he sounds like a Stoic for the modern world. His book sounds interesting, but I do not think my wife would like yet another book in English.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality