Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2022, 11:15 AM

15,945 posts, read 7,009,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
I had to Google Herr Appiah, he sounds like a Stoic for the modern world. His book sounds interesting, but I do not think my wife would like yet another book in English.
He has a nice humorous and disarming style of writing. Maybe there is a German translation that she may enjoy? He is a Cosmopolitan, seeing the world as one, what is our responsibility to each other as a citizen of the world, kindness to strangers, charity begins at home in the sense we need to eradicate hunger, but we also need libraries and museums, spending your money is also giving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2022, 11:22 AM

16,758 posts, read 4,968,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
He has a nice humorous and disarming style of writing. Maybe there is a German translation that she may enjoy?
I checked, it appears to be in English only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
He is a Cosmopolitan, seeing the world as one, what is our responsibility to each other as a citizen of the world, kindness to strangers, charity begins at home in the sense we need to eradicate hunger, but we also need libraries and museums, spending your money is also giving.
Hence my Stoic reference. Does he mention the early Greek philosophers, I would be interested in how much they were an influence?

Old 08-01-2022, 11:31 AM

15,945 posts, read 7,009,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
I checked, it appears to be in English only.

Hence my Stoic reference. Does he mention the early Greek philosophers, I would be interested in how much they were an influence?
He mentions them yes, also Hume, Marcus Auralius. Beatles :-). What runs through the book, not done with it yet, is what is Value, Belief, Facts, Relativism that stops dialog, and the failure of natural positivism. He deals with the Golden Rule in interesting ways that I like since I have my own opinions about it as well.

Old 11-25-2022, 03:17 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,654,459 times
I come here because I have a great concern of what is going on in the world today, there seems to be a great deal of hate and discontent, people seem to be looking for any excuse to hate their neighbor, this is not right, this seems to be dividing us and that should not be. We are all children of the creator, we are all the same, the color of our skin may be different but deep down inside we are all the same and we should treat each other as equals and with respect. It's as if we're being infected with some kind of the disease that once to turn brother against brother, sister again sister, we must stop and take the time to listen and to hear what each other has to say.it is the only way we can survive. my wish is that we all come together as one.that is my prayer,

Old 11-25-2022, 03:58 PM

19,958 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
I come here because I have a great concern of what is going on in the world today, there seems to be a great deal of hate and discontent, people seem to be looking for any excuse to hate their neighbor, this is not right, this seems to be dividing us and that should not be. We are all children of the creator, we are all the same, the color of our skin may be different but deep down inside we are all the same and we should treat each other as equals and with respect. It's as if we're being infected with some kind of the disease that once to turn brother against brother, sister again sister, we must stop and take the time to listen and to hear what each other has to say.it is the only way we can survive. my wish is that we all come together as one.that is my prayer,
Your concern is not misplaced.

I tend to think it's not truly a new thing under the sun, just that the intensity of our discord is greater. I date this new feeling to approximately 2007-2008. It coincides with the rise of social media / smart phones, which I think amplified some political developments. Maybe other factors were involved also, that is just my best guess.

However I just watched a video of total strangers making a perilous rescue of a random dog from a river by making a human chain down a steep concrete embankment. It was difficult and dangerous and required multiple attempts. Something about four people and a dog trusting each other and extending themselves like that, suggests to me that humans still have the ability for empathy, compassion, mutual aid and respect. I hope we manage to find a lot more of this kind of thing before it's too late.

Old 11-25-2022, 04:14 PM

10,525 posts, read 6,157,413 times
Quote:

I agree and I'm not sure what the answer is.
There is a definite shift over the last decade. People don't seem to WANT to be nice to one another. I think maybe social media has a lot to do with it. As well as another big divider that I'm not allowed to mention.
My big hope is that our children will turn things around. My generation have done a great job messing things up. Our kids can only do better than we have done.

Nice to see you back ptsum.

Old 11-25-2022, 04:39 PM

43,057 posts, read 18,223,725 times
I also see it. I just figure the best I can do is fight it off.

I say "thank you" to people. I chit chat with strangers in line. I smile at strangers. I hold the door for people. Small stuff....
Small stuff can go a long way. Sure I've had people blow me off but I've had more than a few nice encounters to make up for it.

It's can't go on being "me, me and only me"...

Old 11-26-2022, 08:37 AM

88,514 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
I also see it. I just figure the best I can do is fight it off.

I say "thank you" to people. I chit chat with strangers in line. I smile at strangers. I hold the door for people. Small stuff....
Small stuff can go a long way. Sure I've had people blow me off but I've had more than a few nice encounters to make up for it.

It's can't go on being "me, me and only me"...
I think this is at least a partial answer. It starts with the behavior of each one of us. There are good people out there, it's just that the divisive and hateful ones make more noise.

If only we could somehow make it socially unacceptable to be so unkind and rude to one another.

Old 11-26-2022, 12:31 PM

19,958 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
If only we could somehow make it socially unacceptable to be so unkind and rude to one another.
I think we had made some progress in that regard but did not account for the reactionary push-back from people who are attached to unkindness and rudeness, nor the ruthlessness with which they were wiling to push back.

The liberal order has failed to fulfill its promises by and large, too, for reasons I'm not allowed to discuss here, and this has produced an opening for these abreacting persons to resurrect old lies about their claimed easy answers to the world's problems. Scapegoat the poor, the brown or black, the different, the foreigner, the unbelieving, and return to some imagined Good Old Days when men were men and everyone knew their (god-)assigned roles.

Old 11-26-2022, 04:41 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,646,703 times
Quote:
Yes...we are all children of the Creator...and we must recognize that to understand that we are all one People.
It is a wise and good thing that we pray for peace & harmony among all.
Thank you for your prayer ptsum...and I hope all join you in that endeavor, as that is one of the best things we can all do to bring about unity and respect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality