Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2020, 06:21 PM

22,149 posts, read 19,203,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
It is when one desires conformity. It helps to keep everyone on the same cookie-cut page. Otherwise it's like birth in that it's a uniquely personal journey.
yes, good analogy.
it is individual and tailor made to each person in their particular circumstances and situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2020, 03:46 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,567,423 times
avoid "wheels are best made round" conformity, its beating a drum of roundness for wheels to the point of unreliability.

Actually its better stated, "Lets put your "statement of belief about shapes" on a car and see how reliable one's "shape belief" is." I don't believe in wheels is, well, it is what it is.

And when somebody brings us a square shape, its not us being "closed minded" when we say "that aint it." ANd somebody pointing to a parked car and saying "Look, those square wheels are great.

And then saying "I don't have to drive my car, its my car and my personal journey doesn't require the car to move." is what exactly.

Last edited by Arach Angle; 11-09-2020 at 03:56 AM..

Old 11-09-2020, 08:06 AM

22,149 posts, read 19,203,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
avoid "wheels are best made round" conformity, its beating a drum of roundness for wheels to the point of unreliability. Actually its better stated, "Lets put your "statement of belief about shapes" on a car and see how reliable one's "shape belief" is." I don't believe in wheels is, well, it is what it is. And when somebody brings us a square shape, its not us being "closed minded" when we say "that aint it." ANd somebody pointing to a parked car and saying "Look, those square wheels are great. And then saying "I don't have to drive my car, its my car and my personal journey doesn't require the car to move." is what exactly.
in that "analogy"you are the one saying you don't believe in wheels when you say you don't believe in god, spirit, soul, divinity, theosophy, holy texts, anything sacred. since you say they don't exist and are not required, then you don't go anywhere on the spiritual journey. you are the parked car with no wheels going nowhere. you have no interest in moving with regards to the journey that is known as Self-Realization (the sacred variety, not the secular). You actually have the wheels but deny they exist and therefore they are dormant, not used, going nowhere.

that is your choice. every person has free choice.
it is not reliable to say that tens of thousands of years of sages and mystics and masters showing us the way are "unreliable." It is reliable to learn from them and follow the path and map these subject matter experts have left for us and given us. to summarize: what they say makes more sense and is more reliable, logical, and rational than what you say. with regards to progress on the spiritual journey. they are familiar with the landscape as they have travelled that terrain. your posts indicate you are not, when you (a) deny the landscape exists and (b) have not travelled that terrain.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 11-09-2020 at 09:33 AM..

Old 11-09-2020, 09:09 AM

3,573 posts, read 1,174,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahayana View Post
Perhaps the comments of HP Blavatsky on the Gnostic text Pistis Sophia helped you on your way?
I've never seen her comments on Pistis Sophia, I've read it and still reading it slowly, I will, look up her comments.

Old 11-09-2020, 09:39 AM

1,422 posts, read 1,027,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Duval View Post
I've never seen her comments on Pistis Sophia, I've read it and still reading it slowly, I will, look up her comments.
Here they are; of course having the actual volume XIII of her Collected Writings is better for study purposes.

Pistis Sophia: Commentary and Notes - H.P. Blavatsky Collected Writings, Vol. 13

Do you read Spanish (I do not) there is a book based (I think) on CW XIII section?

Or if you care to follow month by month the original version in Lucifer magazine starting in April 1890 (go to page 107):

http://iapsop.com/archive/materials/...april_1890.pdf

The original has much more of Mead's translation, the CW XIII version only gives the passage that HPB commented on.

Last edited by Mahayana; 11-09-2020 at 09:48 AM..

Old 11-09-2020, 11:10 AM

2,962 posts, read 862,840 times
Quote:
Quite a bit, here is an excerpt from her Theosophical Glossary:
What are your own thoughts about Lucifer?
What is your worldview?

Old 11-09-2020, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwasmadenew View Post
What are your own thoughts about Lucifer?
What is your worldview?
There is real evil in this world, but most of it comes from human selfishness. There are demonic forces & entities, but no single cosmic entity of evil

No worldview, but my attitude in this lifetime is what I posted here over three years ago.

Quote:
The tendency of modern civilization is a reaction towards animalism, towards a development of those qualities which conduce to the success in life of man as an animal in the struggle for animal existence. Theosophy seeks to develop the human nature in man in addition to the animal, and at the sacrifice of the superfluous animality which modern life and materialistic teachings have developed to a degree which is abnormal for the human being at this stage of his progress.

The essence of Theosophy is the perfect harmonizing of the divine with the human in man, the adjustment of his god-like qualities and aspirations, and their sway over the terrestrial or animal passions in him. Kindness, absence of every ill feeling or selfishness, charity, goodwill to all beings, and perfect justice to others as to oneself, are its chief features. He who teaches Theosophy preaches the gospel of goodwill; and the converse of this is true also — he who preaches the gospel of goodwill, teaches Theosophy.
That is HP Blavatsky writing. My screen name of Mahayana (Vast Way or Great Vehicle) also reflects my attitude of wide sympathies for all paths of Virtue and Goodness. Over 40 years ago I took refuge in the Buddha, his Dharma & his Arya Sangha.

Old 11-09-2020, 12:27 PM

2,962 posts, read 862,840 times
Quote:
There is real evil in this world, but most of it comes from human selfishness. There are demonic forces & entities, but no single cosmic entity of evil
Do you see Lucifer as a cosmic entity, but not evil?

Quote:
No worldview, but my attitude in this lifetime is what I posted here over three years ago.
OK, thanks. What is your take on life’s big questions (existence of a creator god, objective morality, absolute truth, meaning of life, etc)?
I have a worldview questionnaire if you’d be interested to fill it out:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/reli...l#post57667672

Quote:
That is HP Blavatsky writing. My screen name of Mahayana (Vast Way or Great Vehicle) also reflects my attitude of wide sympathies for all paths of Virtue and Goodness. Over 40 years ago I took refuge in the Buddha, his Dharma & his Arya Sangha.
Thanks for the info. I am not very familiar with some of the things you mentioned, but am interested to hear more about your personal philosophy and how you view reality.

Last edited by Iwasmadenew; 11-09-2020 at 12:38 PM..

Old 11-09-2020, 01:02 PM

3,573 posts, read 1,174,594 times
Quote:
Here they are; of course having the actual volume XIII of her Collected Writings is better for study purposes.

Pistis Sophia: Commentary and Notes - H.P. Blavatsky Collected Writings, Vol. 13

Do you read Spanish (I do not) there is a book based (I think) on CW XIII section?

Or if you care to follow month by month the original version in Lucifer magazine starting in April 1890 (go to page 107):

http://iapsop.com/archive/materials/...april_1890.pdf

The original has much more of Mead's translation, the CW XIII version only gives the passage that HPB commented on.
Thanks.

Old 11-09-2020, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwasmadenew View Post
Do you see Lucifer as a cosmic entity, but not evil?

OK, thanks. What is your take on life’s big questions (existence of a creator god, objective morality, absolute truth, meaning of life, etc)?
I have a worldview questionnaire if you’d be interested to fill it out:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/reli...l#post57667672

Thanks for the info. I am not very familiar with some of the things you mentioned, but am interested to hear more about your personal philosophy and how you view reality.
If I had a fixed & static worldview, which I do not, I would not bother to share it. What is the view of one person among 7 billion?

Suggest you continue to examine & research 'life's big questions' in order to modify or not, your present worldview.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality