Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 10:01 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,568,657 times

Advertisements

The Most Astounding Fact - Neil deGrasse Tyson - YouTube

How sad to be limited in the ones view to think our existance has been completely explained by long dead goat herders that also believe the world was flat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 11:32 PM

7,080 posts, read 12,369,581 times
Nice video, but it did kinda validate the ancient practice of Sun-worshiping. Could it be that we're just simply rediscovering something that many of our ancients already knew? The bible says that "there is nothing new under the Sun". Though I don't fully agree with the book nor the religion, I'm not at all afraid to admit that some of the bible's metaphors do make some sense.

Old 06-27-2012, 11:38 PM

33,575 posts, read 37,205,438 times
Profound, and the video is visually stunning watched full screen in HD...Thanks for sharing Ashville...

Old 06-28-2012, 12:36 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,916,937 times
Th truth is far more fascinating and yes, astounding, than the myth......

Thanks for sharing.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:42 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,965,422 times
When I see that I think of the older Carl Sagan one. We are star stuff.

"We are Star stuff." - Carl Sagan's Cosmos - YouTube

Carl Sagan - THE sentence ! - YouTube

Old 07-02-2012, 10:30 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,935,271 times
Default The Facts, but in reverse....

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Nice video, but it did kinda validate the ancient practice of Sun-worshiping. Could it be that we're just simply rediscovering something that many of our ancients already knew? The bible says that "there is nothing new under the Sun". Though I don't fully agree with the book nor the religion, I'm not at all afraid to admit that some of the bible's metaphors do make some sense.
Well yeah, but the ancient travelling minstrel singer-prophets had it in reverse by assuming there was some existing entity Sun God running things, since that was just a metaphor for the actual-factual long-pre-existant universe with all it's inter-reactive sub-atomic exchanges and quantum physics interactions.

Any seeming relevance within the bible seems to me to just be a chance guess or interpretation, fomented by the consumption of some lil' 'shrooms washed down with some tepid bad water out of that contaminated desert watering hole.

(PS: Don't let your camels drink from (or pee near...) the same hole that your family get's it's water from, OK?)

Old 07-02-2012, 10:53 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,852,441 times

I pity the fool who doesn't feel something special after watching that vid... even though it laid the stardust on pretty thick.

Old 07-03-2012, 12:53 AM

33,575 posts, read 37,205,438 times
Posted 5 days ago, and still no comments from the religious???

Old 07-03-2012, 06:37 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,129,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Posted 5 days ago, and still no comments from the religious???
Why need there be any?

Can only speak for myself. I agree it is a valid explanation, but that does not mean it is true. To be honest I could not understand the majority of what was being said as my hearing is too poor to comprehend much of the spoken word. But from the small amount I was able to hear, I didn't understand anything to argue about.

Perhaps I can find a written transcript of the video or find it with CC I didn't see any CC option on the video.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:42 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,965,422 times
adventures of a dinesh: The Most Astounding Fact

Transcript

Quote:
The most astounding fact.. is the knowledge, that that atoms that comprise life on Earth - the atoms that make up the human body - are traceable to the crucibles that cooked light elements into heavy elements in their core, under extreme temperatures and pressures. These stars, the high mass ones among them, went unstable in their later years. They collapsed and then exploded, scattering their enriched guts across the galaxy: guts made of Carbon, Nitrogen, Oxygen, and all of the fundamental ingredients of life itself. These ingredients become parts of gas clouds that condense, collapse, form the next generation of solar systems - stars with orbiting planets - and those planets now have the ingredients for life itself. So that when I look up at the night sky and I know that, yes, we are part of this universe, we are in this universe, but perhaps more important than both of those facts is that the universe is in us. When I reflect on that fact, I look up, many people feel small - 'cause they're small and the universe is big - but I feel big. because, my atoms came from those stars. There's a level of connectivity. That's really what you want in life. You want to feel connected, want to feel relevant. You want to feel like you're a participant in the goings on of activities and events around you. That's precisely what we are, just by being alive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality