Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 01:20 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,917,890 times

Advertisements

This astounding but oft-predicted announcement just on the wire from the highly credible, not-for-profit Craig. J. Ventner Research Institute in San Diego, CA. They have succeeded , after 15 years of painstaking, unbiased biological and chemical research, in creating synthesized, reproducing life by first creating synthesized DNA (made from common amino acids), and then creating a living, self-sustaining cell. As follows:

"The team synthesized the 1.08 million base pair chromosome of a modified Mycoplasma mycoides genome. The synthetic cell is called Mycoplasma mycoides JCVI-syn1.0 and is the proof of principle that genomes can be designed in the computer, chemically made in the laboratory and transplanted into a recipient cell to produce a new self-replicating cell controlled only by the synthetic genome."

Here's the link.

First Self-Replicating, Synthetic Bacterial Cell Constructed by J. Craig Venter Institute Researchers - Health News - redOrbit

Well, can't say you weren't warned. I even mentioned this probability this very morning, on an earler post, that scientists were close to synthesizing life in the lab. It's been well known in the scientific community that the Brits have been synthesizing DNA for several months, and this was just the final step.

I now solemnly predict we'll hear the raucous sound of "but... but... but...", like the sounds of two stubborn billy goats out in the farm yard, ramming into each others' heads to prove their point.

No wait; that's wrong. That would more correctly be "Butt - Butt - Butt". Well at least I'm happy to admit when I'm wrong.

Oh I know; this will also be dismissed as "Oh...yeah.. well... well... yeah, but when they produce a cat overnight in a test tube from Drano and old Coca-Cola, then I'll believe it! This ain't REAL life; it's only a single cell, and what does that got to do with God's Holy Creations?"

(And to think; it also wasn't done by hooking up the test tube with jumper cables as was suggested earlier today! And God didn't reach down and stir anything, not even once!)

Well, Just a sad prediction on the likely IDT* responses.

Anyhow, HUGE congratulations, Dr. Ventner and dedicated crew. From all of us loyal scientists and citizens: we never stopped believing in rational thought.

IDT* Intransigent Dogmo-Theists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 01:37 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,858,876 times
Good on them! We should start betting on the creationists response. I'll have a tenner on "It's the work of Satan".

Old 05-20-2010, 01:43 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post

(And to think; it also wasn't done by hooking up the test tube with jumper cables as was suggested earlier today! And God didn't reach down and stir anything, not even once!)

Nope the scientists did the stiring. They created life. Which is cool. Rather god-like if you ask me.

So this breakthrough demonstrates that life was probably created. It didn't just happen on its own.

Old 05-20-2010, 01:51 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,011,213 times
"To his credit, Venter has been driving several ethical, policy and societal discussions, even creating awareness about the inbuilt safety mechanism. Scientists can insert “suicide genes” in the artificial genome so that it doesn’t survive outside the desired environment, be it a lab or a bio-reactor."

i want out of the matrix!

Old 05-20-2010, 02:06 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,327,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Nope the scientists did the stiring. They created life. Which is cool. Rather god-like if you ask me.

So this breakthrough demonstrates that life was probably created. It didn't just happen on its own.
Perhaps, but given the complexity of the known universe (let alone what's unknown) this was a pretty simple task. It isn't concrete evidence of creation, this has always been possible There's no telling that the right combination of elements and events couldn't have "just happened".

Even If we do assume that this is evidence of creation, it still doesn't mean that the creator has any kind of active relationship with us, or even a conscious awareness of our existence let alone validate the claim of a vengeful, spying, loving, jealous persona. Or, we could be a mistake, an unaccounted for side effect. Maybe we're like this new bacteria and we just took over the other bacteria for a few weeks... If we're going to travel to this plane of Practically infinite possibility we can't narrow it down to specifics without considering all of it equally - and we don't really have the capacity to do so so it still ends up being a big mystery at best.

Old 05-20-2010, 02:11 PM

1,807 posts, read 1,892,003 times
Quote:

Diamonds happen on their own, and they're still (in the form of cubic zirconium) created in laboratory settings by way of chemical manipulation.

Is this, then, a sign that diamonds aren't a natural occurrance?

I think not.

Old 05-20-2010, 02:15 PM

Cool Tell me: is gloating a sin?

Quote:

Actually, you mimic my very own thoughts, Mr5150. Perhaps WE were always the God in our own delusions. Of course the various reliable records do not show us as having had the necessary wherewithal back 100+ million yeras ago to do the lab work, but then it may also have been from an off-world source. At least it's now a possibility.

And this was created from synthesized DNA, according to a method the Brits have been working on that allows for natural amino acid formation in situ (i.e.: on location). They even synthesized a bacterium,which is rather advanced from the first simplest possible single-celled proto-viral particle, which would have been easier, but not so compelling.

Also, expect the following response: yeah, but they put it into an existing cellular enclosure! Well: Let it be known by all here that biochemists have rather easily created the cell wall, a simple lipid chain structure, already.

Now: Let's carefully review the list of disproven denials so far:

DNA can't be synthesized (Wrong. Done by British scientists last year)

DNA can't be assembled into a meaningful genome sequence (today's news sort kills that one off, huh?)

Any such assemblage won't have God's spark of life, and so it can't replicate or demonstrate any other characteristics of life! (Wrong, IBID: as in: thanks Dr. Ventner. )

The last sad retreat and denial will be:

"They'll NEVER assemble a completely artificial cell!"
Well, since they've just announced that they've done the really hard DNA part, with synthesized DNA no less, that only leaves the simple, already-done cell wall part. You guys REALLY want to stick what's left of your necks out on that tiny little already-accomplished bit?

NEVER's a real long time, after all...

May 20, 2010: Creationism is Dead. Long May it Lay Dead!

Old 05-20-2010, 02:17 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,932,095 times
CUE: LUKE SKYWALKER: " No. No. That's not true. That's impossible!"

Old 05-20-2010, 02:22 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredNotBob View Post
Diamonds happen on their own, and they're still (in the form of cubic zirconium) created in laboratory settings by way of chemical manipulation.

Is this, then, a sign that diamonds aren't a natural occurrance?

I think not.
And all this time I thought diamonds occured due to a process intense heat and pressure deep in the earth being applied to relativly pure chunks of carbon.

So........ from what you say,they just appear in the ground??? Dang that is so cool!

Old 05-20-2010, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
"To his credit, Venter has been driving several ethical, policy and societal discussions, even creating awareness about the inbuilt safety mechanism. Scientists can insert “suicide genes” in the artificial genome so that it doesn’t survive outside the desired environment, be it a lab or a bio-reactor."

i want out of the matrix!
Yep. He first mapped and documented a known organism's genome sequence, then, using a computer, he re-created that exact map, and, using synthesized DNA, he physically replicated the necessary map, inserted it into a Zip-Lock™ "cell wall baggie", and voila: there it was.

So now, imagine if he were to do this exact same procedure to create a viable egg and sperm for, say, a lemur, or a toad, or a T-Rex or a human. A Neanderthal, or a Cro-Magnon? Or a super-human? With, you know, blue eyes, blonde hair, no inheritable diseases, a big brain, no wisdom teeth, no built-in aging, stronger lower back grafted in from a mountain gorilla, no genetic need for unaccountable spiritualism, etc. etc.

Oh-oh, huh? Science will have to be held accountable. But that in no way diminishes the startling nature of this astounding announcement, now does it?

Let's not denigrate "the method" of discovery, when in fact there are separate ethical arguments to be made.

It is just plain exciting though. And, frankly, undeniable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality