Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 12:05 AM

7,284 posts, read 12,920,807 times

Advertisements

I am spiritual, not religious. As a spiritual person, I "believe" in a power greater than myself . . .don't have a clue what it is, but I believe there is a divine power of some kind . . .

And I pray to that divine power and believe my prayers have some effect on changing "reality."

But my faith is intellectual - and maybe spiritual, but not emotional or physical . . .I can't FEEL anything coming back in terms of reciprocation . . .

So this post is for those of you who FEEL a spiritual presence . . .what can you say about that?

I am not sure why my spiritual/emotional senses are blocked (I perceive that there is a block) . . .It is very frustrating. I think my whole life would be different if I could actually FEEL a divine presence in my life.

This thread is strictly about FEELING DIVINE PRESENCE, NOT ABOUT RELIGION. I would love to hear people's experiences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2012, 12:32 AM

3,622 posts, read 5,592,181 times
Once I thought for sure that when I prayed...or other times I felt a spiritual supreme being. But now I have to wonder if that's really my own activation of my brain...causing those feelings of warmth in my chest...or the clairvoyance to solve problems. I have often found missing objects by praying...seeing a mental picture of exactly where it is in my mind. But maybe I'm just channeling my own recollection in that situation.

I'm sorry I'm probably not much help. But at this point I find myself questioning the experiences I've had.

Old 02-12-2012, 05:00 AM

9,688 posts, read 10,008,103 times
See Son Of God Lord Jesus Christ says from the Bible in Matthew 6: 33..... Seek first the kingdom of God , and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you``....... So how do we seek first the Kingdom of God ?.... Well then from the Bible in John 3: 3..Jesus Christ said ...``Very truly I say to you , Except a man be born again , he cannot see the kingdom of God``..........So how does a man get born again ?....... ... Jesus said from Matthew 4: 17 ``Repent for the kingdom of Heaven is at hand ``............. See men must Repent of sin and turn away of sin or try to turn away from sins and try to know what sin is they need to go to a Christian church were there are Christians who has Lord Jesus Spirit on their lives and ask for prayer for salvation, and if they will not pray for you then go to other Christians and ask for their prayer and never stop seeking the kingdom of God , even after you found Him in your life....... As a witness to you `I get up ever morning and if I have any pain in my body, then I pray right away the Blood prayers of authority of Jesus Christ and in 30 seconds the pain is gone` Glory to God `.... Jesus is busy in my senses of the spirit ... See here is just one of the many miracles that Jesus has in my life .....

Old 02-12-2012, 06:07 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,618,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
I am spiritual, not religious. As a spiritual person, I "believe" in a power greater than myself . . .don't have a clue what it is, but I believe there is a divine power of some kind . . .

And I pray to that divine power and believe my prayers have some effect on changing "reality."

But my faith is intellectual - and maybe spiritual, but not emotional or physical . . .I can't FEEL anything coming back in terms of reciprocation . . .

So this post is for those of you who FEEL a spiritual presence . . .what can you say about that?

I am not sure why my spiritual/emotional senses are blocked (I perceive that there is a block) . . .It is very frustrating. I think my whole life would be different if I could actually FEEL a divine presence in my life.

This thread is strictly about FEELING DIVINE PRESENCE, NOT ABOUT RELIGION. I would love to hear people's experiences.
As a former Christian, I experienced a lot of what fundamental Christianity would call "moving of the spirit". I've witnessed people falling out on the floor with eyes rolling back in their heads, spinning around on one foot for hours and lots of speaking in tongues.

Now, I see it as all theatrics, hype and "want to" type experiences, that's all. Sorry, but I never saw anything "miraculous", just a bunch of people very anxious to experience something so they made it up. These church services can be very lively and it's easy to get caught up in the hype.

The reason you don't "feel" anything is because there's nothing there to feel. I never did either, and I tried. But you say "what about all these miraculous healings?"......well.....we know for a fact that they've been proven false time and again, just actors and actresses playing a part. Makes people dig deeper into their pockets and fatten the wallets of these so-called miracle healers.

Maybe I'm a little jaded, I don't know but I've experienced what you seem to be looking for and I'm here to tell you that it's all fake. At least you've got enough sense to know what's real and what isn't.

Old 02-12-2012, 06:53 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,008,162 times
Listening to music such as this is certainly moving and reflective for some obviously not so much for others.

I Love the Lord whitney houston gospel - YouTube

I had an 'oob' experience as a child...it was just that I was out of the body or perhaps it was remote viewing. I felt a guide with me but I did not feel it was God. It wasn't evil or anything, it just wasn't the God.

Old 02-12-2012, 07:07 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post

In my opinion you are confusing a physical sensation (feeling) with something that is a spiritual sensation. Some humans do experience the physical sensation others do not in a literal sense.

The best way for me to try and explain it to you is a physical sensation is obvious, a physical warmth, someone who has put their arms around you, a touch of a hand, things like that are 'literal' a physical sensation.

A spiritual sensation is to me more like an inner peace and tranquility, a calm knowing, something that is not physically deep within but known anyway. Sort of like dejavue the sensation of having been somewhere before that you know you have never physically been.

I hope this makes some sort of sense to you.

Old 02-12-2012, 08:09 AM

2,981 posts, read 2,931,619 times
"May The Force Be With You" (?)

Old 02-12-2012, 10:26 AM

63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyra33 View Post
Once I thought for sure that when I prayed...or other times I felt a spiritual supreme being. But now I have to wonder if that's really my own activation of my brain...causing those feelings of warmth in my chest...or the clairvoyance to solve problems. I have often found missing objects by praying...seeing a mental picture of exactly where it is in my mind. But maybe I'm just channeling my own recollection in that situation.

I'm sorry I'm probably not much help. But at this point I find myself questioning the experiences I've had.
There are several issues that must be understood about receiving information about reality through the "other" brain states not directly connected to our usual sensory system. If you have not developed the self-discipline necessary to retain conscious control over our inner drives and urges . . . there seems to be a natural blocking of access. An uncontrolled access can literally wreak havoc with our mental health . . . as "bad trips" by undisciplined experimenters with LSD and other hallucinogens attest to. It is why I have avoided ever using any substance (except for alcohol in my youth) that alters my conscious control over my mind.

The second issue involves differences in our right brain sensitivities that can be blocked by left brain skepticism. The emphasis on belief in spiritual matters is a legitimate one because a lack of sincerity and openness in belief creates blockage as well. This is why I find the bold in your post so disturbing, lyra. Clearly you are one of the naturally sensitive and you are allowing the skepticism of the world to interfere with your development of it. Of course the above caution about acquiring the necessary discipline applies to any such development of your natural abilities.

To the OP . . . your concern over a natural blockage is correct and it can only be overcome by discipline or absolute sincerity and openness (as with truly devout believers in God . . . NOT religion!) Each individual will "notice" the manifestations of spiritual contact differently (unlike the hocus pocus and mumbo jumbo the various "mystery schools" are selling). Do not get caught up with the nonsense of Kundalini, Chakras, or any other crapola. Utter sincerity and desire to know God is the only requirement and it cannot be faked, willed, wished for or otherwise forced to exist. We do not control and cannot demand how God will manifest His presence to us. Consistency is the only criterion that characterizes a truly spiritual experience.

Old 02-12-2012, 10:35 AM

7,284 posts, read 12,920,807 times
I should have known I would get bible quotes and advice. Thank you to the people who actually referred to my OP and tried to describe what they feel.

Old 02-12-2012, 12:12 PM

4,486 posts, read 5,222,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
As a former Christian, I experienced a lot of what fundamental Christianity would call "moving of the spirit". I've witnessed people falling out on the floor with eyes rolling back in their heads, spinning around on one foot for hours and lots of speaking in tongues.

Now, I see it as all theatrics, hype and "want to" type experiences, that's all. Sorry, but I never saw anything "miraculous", just a bunch of people very anxious to experience something so they made it up. These church services can be very lively and it's easy to get caught up in the hype.

The reason you don't "feel" anything is because there's nothing there to feel. I never did either, and I tried. But you say "what about all these miraculous healings?"......well.....we know for a fact that they've been proven false time and again, just actors and actresses playing a part. Makes people dig deeper into their pockets and fatten the wallets of these so-called miracle healers.

Maybe I'm a little jaded, I don't know but I've experienced what you seem to be looking for and I'm here to tell you that it's all fake. At least you've got enough sense to know what's real and what isn't.
Jaded? No Honey, just realistic.

I was raised in a religious family who for reasons unknown, went from Nazarene to Pentecostal Holiness. Yes, theatrical is a perfect description, as is mass hysteria. Perhaps a touch of unaddressed sexual frustration thrown in for good measure, IMHO anyway.

Truth be told, I feel closer to whatever higher power exists just walking in the woods or tending our farm than I ever did in church. I prefer it that way. Nature is honest and upfront, it is what it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality