Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 09:11 AM

606 posts, read 698,620 times

Advertisements

Why do Chirsitians spend so much money building churches?I don't see the point.Some churches are really gorgeous and beautiful,especially mormon churches.I love these churches as architecture or arts..However,You can simply pray and establish personal relationship with Jesus.You can love God with all your heart and follow the instructions of God.

Besides,as I know,a lot of believers don't go to church.Churches aren't necessary.

Religion is just something spiritual,so,just treat it in the spiritual way!

I'm just curious why build churches.I'll appreciate it a lot if anyone can tell me why.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2007, 09:18 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,618,410 times
This will probably sound a little cynical and it is but I think alot of it has to due with prestige. This is particularly true with some of the multimillion dollar showplaces that church members have emptied their pockets to build. Much of this is due to rivalries between competing churches who want to impress potential newcomers. I think the old fashioned small town church that you see scattered all over the country are the most authentic and well intentioned houses of worship. There is no vanity in these buildings and many of them are quite beautiful examples of architecture without being pretentious.

Old 05-25-2007, 09:21 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,813,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksburg View Post
Why do Chirsitians spend so much money building churches?I don't see the point.Some churches are really gorgeous and beautiful,especially mormon churches.I love these churches as architecture or arts..However,You can simply pray and establish personal relationship with Jesus.You can love God with all your heart and follow the instructions of God.

Besides,as I know,a lot of believers don't go to church.Churches aren't necessary.

I'm just curious why build churches.I'll appreciate it a lot if anyone can tell me why.

Thanks in advance.
To have a place to come together to celebrate community in faith and form personal relationships with like minded people. As far as why some are fancy and nice and some are plain and simple....well look at your house and compare it to houses that cost more and cost less...your house suits you because either it is what you can afford or because it's your personal taste. The same is true of churches, they differ according to the people who gather there.

Last edited by irishmom; 05-25-2007 at 09:30 AM..

Old 05-25-2007, 09:22 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,742,037 times
Quote:

Thanks in advance.
Churches dont have to be big elaborate buildings, fancy, or anything, We , as Christians are the temple of the Holy Spirit ourselves. Some people have home churches, some believers just meet in each others homes. Why do you ask? To encourage one another, to pray for each other, to worship God together, I dont know what you mean by "treat it in a spiritual way. "

Old 05-25-2007, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
Churches dont have to be big elaborate buildings, fancy, or anything, We , as Christians are the temple of the Holy Spirit ourselves. Some people have home churches, some believers just meet in each others homes. Why do you ask? To encourage one another, to pray for each other, to worship God together, I dont know what you mean by "treat it in a spiritual way. "
A lot Christians told me that they just have personal relation with Jesus.Why do you need a place to gather together and pray?You can pray everywhere and on you own.

Yes,I agree with you that churches don't have to be elaborate.But they are more gorgeous than necessary already.

Old 05-25-2007, 09:32 AM

Thank you,Montana guy and irishmom,I guess I know the answer.

Old 05-25-2007, 09:34 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,813,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I think the old fashioned small town church that you see scattered all over the country are the most authentic and well intentioned houses of worship. There is no vanity in these buildings and many of them are quite beautiful examples of architecture without being pretentious.
These are the type of churches (buildings and communities) I find myself drawn to.

Old 05-25-2007, 09:43 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,687,867 times
Quote:
A lot Christians told me that they just have personal relation with Jesus.Why do you need a place to gather together and pray?You can pray everywhere and on you own.
Sure you can pray anywhere and everywhere. While the question has already been answered, I might just add this - Scripture tells us that we are supposed to get together (meet), and sometimes depending on the area, there are just too many people to fit into somebody's home. A specific place to meet gives people a place for all the things that are needed - hymnals, extra Bibles, teaching supplies for Sunday schools, etc. Otherwise, somebody would have to cart all this stuff to someone's home, possibly a different home each time. Would you like to volunteer for that (not me!!) ? Plus, having a building means that anyone who feels the need but is not be a regular churchgoer can take in a service. There's always an open invitation and all are welcome. You, meaning YOU, or anyone, can walk into any church for a service and you'll be welcomed (but not pestered) to sit, participate, listen, sing, or evaluate, even, what you are seeing, hearing and experiencing even if you don't consider yourself a believer. Whe else do you think churches list their times of service on a bulletin board or sign of some kind out front? It's not for the regular attendees. It's for you. Wanna come?

Last edited by swbtoo; 05-25-2007 at 09:45 AM.. Reason: format

Old 05-25-2007, 09:45 AM

1,408 posts, read 5,094,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
To have a place to come together to celebrate community in faith and form personal relationships with like minded people. As far as why some are fancy and nice and some are plain and simple....well look at your house and compare it to houses that cost more and cost less...your house suits you because either it is what you can afford or because it's your personal taste. The same is true of churches, they differ according to the people who gather there.
I agree with Irishmom...additionally, we build churches to accomodate the needs of those of like minds. The Bible even says we should not avoid fellowship. We also accomodate various age groups, from the nursery to the eldest of seniors. All are not using the same classrooms for Bible Study -- it only makes sense that a 1st grader would need a different teaching style than a University Freshman.

And of course, especially with Baptists, we have to have a kitchen and fellowship hall!

Then we need a sanctuary that is large enough for corporate praise and worship.

It would be hard to get all those people who wish to worship and learn and fellowship together into someone's home.

Old 05-25-2007, 10:19 AM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times
I had noticed you focused initially on the spending of money to do this. I'm assuming that means you feel that wherever people gather, why would they need to dress up and make a specific place?

Many people want to worship with others b/c it's a community thing for them. I think it's probably human nature to want to beautify one's place of worship. Or to "dress up" anything we hold as dear to us. It's definitely not necessary, no. But it's human nature. Right now it's 78 degrees out and it's not necessary that I wear anything other than maybe one piece of cotton from my shoulders to my mid-thighs. It wouldn't have to be any special color or design. Just literally a hanging...thing. But instead I'm wearing certain colors. A certain cut. Two pieces. I don't *have* to. It's not *necessary*. But I do. And so do you, I'm assuming.

My house doesn't *have* to be cream and brown. It doesn't have to be any special pigment at all. Why for that matter have it be two colors? Whatever paint was left over at the Home Depot could have been used. If hot purple was left over, they could have used that. It wasn't *necessary* for my house colors to match. But somebody wanted them to match. Because humans decorate the things they are near on a consistent basis.

I figure churches are the same thing. Why would people make their churches out of a cardboard box and a few egg crates to sit on when they'd never make their houses that way? Or schools? Or even grocery stores?

People do want to congregate as well. They could all congregate at one house. But say there are 2500 members in your town who are your denomination. I don't really think they're going to fit...unless you have a reeeeeeeeeally big house.

I'm not this particular religion but I don't begrudge them their churches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality