Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 06:18 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,246,409 times

Advertisements

It always strikes me as rather odd that it takes years of learning certain techniques in order to communicate with this supposedly wonderful 'always with you' god.
Maybe 'he' is really really picky about who he allows access to,huh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2012, 09:44 AM

256 posts, read 480,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
There is much hocum associated with meditation, etc. and I had to sift through the lot of it to finally develop my own technique by first acquiring the skill of bio-feedback control over my autonomic system. I remain in conscious control throughout my meditation as I go into deeper brain states.
Good for you. But this is YOUR experience and YOUR way and it doesn't mean it is the ONLY way.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:44 PM

543 posts, read 1,147,579 times
First of all, to answer the original question, yes, I have had the experience of feeling God's presence on several occasions beginning when I was 4 years old. At that age, there was no dogma or doctrine to confuse the issue.

My short life was very painful and difficult then and I believe that that confirmation of God's presence helped me through many years. Once I had that initial bond, it has stayed with me throughout my life.

At the time, I thought that everyone had that experience and it was years later that I discovered that very few did. I don't know the reason for that, but I do believe this:

We are talking about a legal issue here. We, as created beings, have a right to know who our Father is in such a way that we FEEL and know Him. We have a right to bond with God and to know his character - and quite frankly, He has a lot of explaining to do.

I have known a few people who wished to have a subjective experience wherein they would KNOW, for themselves, God's love and existence. They petitioned God for that experience... and most of them received what they asked for (as they told it to me.)

If you are agnostic, (I look at agnostics as those who have thrown the baby out with the wash-water - with good reason - because it makes no sense to have a God who makes no sense.) Yet being open to the possibility of a God who does make sense and includes all in His ultimate plan may be a more accurate description of status.

Last edited by gypsydoc; 03-27-2012 at 12:02 AM.. Reason: grammer

Old 03-27-2012, 10:46 AM

50,089 posts, read 20,793,492 times
I do find this subject very interesting and haven't commented since there is no arguing with personal experience as an experience. What it actually means can be left to the bible - quoters and theoreticians.

It's good to hear from people describing first hand what they felt.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:39 PM

63,941 posts, read 40,218,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
It always strikes me as rather odd that it takes years of learning certain techniques in order to communicate with this supposedly wonderful 'always with you' god.
Maybe 'he' is really really picky about who he allows access to,huh?
You might want to query women who have had babies and ask them how much communication they had with their babies while in the womb. We are in a spiritual womb and the communication reflects that limitation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Dragonfly View Post
Good for you. But this is YOUR experience and YOUR way and it doesn't mean it is the ONLY way.
I have never and would never claim that it was.

Old 03-27-2012, 01:03 PM

17,164 posts, read 11,419,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You might want to query women who have had babies and ask them how much communication they had with their babies while in the womb. We are in a spiritual womb and the communication reflects that limitation.
Hadn't thought of that. I like it.

Old 03-27-2012, 01:04 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,527,528 times
having a direct experience is best described in this john travola film pulp fiction. the hit empties the gun into jules winnefield and every shot misses so that is your little message to change direction.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulp_Fiction

Old 03-27-2012, 01:17 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,996,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
As a former Christian, I experienced a lot of what fundamental Christianity would call "moving of the spirit". I've witnessed people falling out on the floor with eyes rolling back in their heads, spinning around on one foot for hours and lots of speaking in tongues.

Now, I see it as all theatrics, hype and "want to" type experiences, that's all. Sorry, but I never saw anything "miraculous", just a bunch of people very anxious to experience something so they made it up. These church services can be very lively and it's easy to get caught up in the hype.

The reason you don't "feel" anything is because there's nothing there to feel. I never did either, and I tried. But you say "what about all these miraculous healings?"......well.....we know for a fact that they've been proven false time and again, just actors and actresses playing a part. Makes people dig deeper into their pockets and fatten the wallets of these so-called miracle healers.

Maybe I'm a little jaded, I don't know but I've experienced what you seem to be looking for and I'm here to tell you that it's all fake. At least you've got enough sense to know what's real and what isn't.
I agree Ilene.
BTW, I go by faith not by feelings. Feelings go up and down minute by minute, hour by hour, day by day. Faith is not concerned with feelings.

Old 03-27-2012, 05:49 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,330,178 times
My direct experience with God etc

I was sitting in church, halfway bored, and i felt a physical touch on my heart/chest. Then an overwhelming feeling of sadness and unworthiness. Shame. Tears.

A relative noticed my distress and walked me outside and we talked. Bottom line, I felt drained and cathartic but joyous and loved knowing that I had been saved. and He touched me. He loved me despite my unworthiness.

Later I have heard that called the Gift of Tears. Maybe, maybe not

Old 03-27-2012, 06:00 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,020,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Hadn't thought of that. I like it.
Me neither & me too. Thanks Mystic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality