Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 11:04 AM

120 posts, read 193,697 times

Advertisements

1) God spontaneously came into existence and He created the universe
2) The universe spontaneously came into existence

Why is 1) considered a better explanation than 2)? They're equally likely since they both involve something or someone spontaneously coming into existence
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2013, 04:14 PM

20,438 posts, read 12,775,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnowerOfThings View Post
1) God spontaneously came into existence and He created the universe
2) The universe spontaneously came into existence

Why is 1) considered a better explanation than 2)? They're equally likely since they both involve something or someone spontaneously coming into existence
Who claims #1 is true?

Old 09-14-2013, 04:45 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,092,166 times
I don't think most theists say god just appeared. Most say he's always existed. I sort of assume that's how the universe is though. The evidence we have suggests the universe is constantly expanding. Some say that eventually it will spread to thin and collapse on itself. When this happens, the universe will suck into a singular point, and the big bang will happen again. That's just one hypothesis, there are many more and that's what I love about science. Religion says 'this happened and that's that' while science says 'I don't know, but here are some ideas' and I find the ideas to be pretty fun.

How the universe got here is of course tricky. Has it always existed? How? Doesn't everything have a beginning? When did it start and what was going on before it started? These are all abstract questions. Theists would say it can only be explained by god, but when you do that, you can literally put 'god' in place of 'the universe' in those questions above and there's still no answer.

I assume most say 'god did it' because it gives them a sense of purpose. Science sort of just says it's an accident. Personally, I'm fine with being an accident. Theists say things like 'God loves you and made you for a purpose' and they say it to make me feel important (and convert and give money to their church too, I'm sure), but it doesn't work. I don't like the idea of being given a purpose. I want to find my purpose on my own, not find it because it was fated to happen. I see no shame in being an accident. Sometimes accidents yield some pretty life changing things.

Old 09-14-2013, 07:09 PM

20,438 posts, read 12,775,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
I don't think most theists say god just appeared. Most say he's always existed. I sort of assume that's how the universe is though. The evidence we have suggests the universe is constantly expanding. Some say that eventually it will spread to thin and collapse on itself. When this happens, the universe will suck into a singular point, and the big bang will happen again. That's just one hypothesis, there are many more and that's what I love about science. Religion says 'this happened and that's that' while science says 'I don't know, but here are some ideas' and I find the ideas to be pretty fun.

How the universe got here is of course tricky. Has it always existed? How? Doesn't everything have a beginning? When did it start and what was going on before it started? These are all abstract questions. Theists would say it can only be explained by god, but when you do that, you can literally put 'god' in place of 'the universe' in those questions above and there's still no answer.

I assume most say 'god did it' because it gives them a sense of purpose. Science sort of just says it's an accident. Personally, I'm fine with being an accident. Theists say things like 'God loves you and made you for a purpose' and they say it to make me feel important (and convert and give money to their church too, I'm sure), but it doesn't work. I don't like the idea of being given a purpose. I want to find my purpose on my own, not find it because it was fated to happen. I see no shame in being an accident. Sometimes accidents yield some pretty life changing things.
I believe a creator is the logical view. The chances of a "cosmic accident", while possible, are so remote.

Old 09-14-2013, 07:13 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
Makes no difference to me.

Old 09-14-2013, 07:20 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,937,844 times
God is before time.

Old 09-14-2013, 07:29 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,538,654 times
#2 As a small example: Mathematics, physical laws and DNA coding by simple chance? Not only is it illogical, but pret near impossible if one can believe science.

What are the odds of mere chance? Well do the math: How many events since the Big Band to today Each event: either it works or falls. Seems like 2-1 odds at each event. With that sort of odds you are looking at a billion to one by event #30 for all things to work out. That's just up to event #30.

God: either He exists or not-2:1 odds. If I were a betting man, I'd put my money on God.

I am saying this as if I had no evidence for God, just for the sake of discussion.

Old 09-14-2013, 08:28 PM

247 posts, read 236,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
God: either He exists or not-2:1 odds. If I were a betting man, I'd put my money on God.
Wow ...kinda like lottery tickets. Buying a lottery ticket is 2:1 odds since you either win or don't. Trouble comes in when you consider the number of gods being sold though.

Seems to me that if any of the Abrahamic variations on god were real, they'd be friendlier to the guy who just refused to play at all than the guy who picked the wrong one.

Old 09-14-2013, 10:17 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,538,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greaemonkey View Post
Wow ...kinda like lottery tickets. Buying a lottery ticket is 2:1 odds since you either win or don't. Trouble comes in when you consider the number of gods being sold though.

Seems to me that if any of the Abrahamic variations on god were real, they'd be friendlier to the guy who just refused to play at all than the guy who picked the wrong one.
guess you would rather engage in ridicule than discussion.

Old 09-14-2013, 10:20 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Because there are so many people who feel no natural sense of "doing the right thing", that they need an authoritative personal representative of the creator of the universe to interpret morality for them and tell them how to behave, and constant threats of eternal suffering to enforce it..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality