Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 06:18 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,647,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
I agree Ilene.
BTW, I go by faith not by feelings. Feelings go up and down minute by minute, hour by hour, day by day. Faith is not concerned with feelings.
That's the only way to go if you're going to be religious, by faith and faith alone. You'll be sorely disappointed otherwise. I just don't have faith any longer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 06:21 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,340,146 times
Gotta agree with going with Faith not Religion. Don't want to get off topic too much but I look at Religion as being mankind's doing and is prone to error.

Old 03-29-2012, 08:33 AM

17,966 posts, read 16,014,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
That's the only way to go if you're going to be religious, by faith and faith alone. You'll be sorely disappointed otherwise. I just don't have faith any longer.
One day you won't need faith but will have realization by sight.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:04 PM

707 posts, read 689,551 times
Many years ago I had a "spiritual awakening". I felt what I believe to be God's presence and a basic understanding of who He is. A living being but much superior to us. A being who created me, my soul as well as the entire universe. A being that I continue to have a relationship with. And over time I have come to realize that there are many people who have experienced a very similar thing.

Old 01-30-2013, 07:23 AM

9 posts, read 18,929 times
Levity is not so much a feeling as a sense of release from a previous sense of gravity (weighted downess -a sense of being held in a bad way). Love is filled by patience to endure the trials in this human theater. Levity gained in release through spiritual practice increases the patience to endure. It's not so much a feeling as a joy. Upliftment in spiritual practice is not to me so tinged with emotion, but rather gives one strength and power to endure and rise above the tendency to be emotional (especially neg. emotion (but pos. as well?)). Religion to me implies a relation with dogma and ritual. My spiritual practice is private and for me. I'm 50 ' ish so I've studied for 35 years or so ( mostly eastern teachings). I'm happy to share what I know, but honestly few are really interested in this material age. Spirituality to me is only successful if it gives one a sense of control. This sense of levity or release from the previous gives me a sense of control. At least a joy can be had in the moment. This prepares one for the onslaught of the day.

Last edited by GrantVirgilHolland; 01-30-2013 at 07:41 AM.. Reason: too negative sounding

Old 01-30-2013, 10:43 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,277,958 times
It usually happens when I'm fishing, or sitting for a spell on a log near a creek.When it occurs, I feel a sense of belonging to a much larger whole - an interconnectedness with everything around me, and by extension, everything - period.

Old 02-02-2013, 11:38 PM

1,839 posts, read 3,074,342 times
I have felt it on occasion. Doesn't happen often. There is a peace, like nothing can go wrong. That was the strongest I ever felt it. Other times it's just knowing something , a "6th sense" which puts me at ease. It is a calm feeling.

Old 02-02-2013, 11:42 PM

1,839 posts, read 3,074,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
As a former Christian, I experienced a lot of what fundamental Christianity would call "moving of the spirit". I've witnessed people falling out on the floor with eyes rolling back in their heads, spinning around on one foot for hours and lots of speaking in tongues.

Now, I see it as all theatrics, hype and "want to" type experiences, that's all. Sorry, but I never saw anything "miraculous", just a bunch of people very anxious to experience something so they made it up. These church services can be very lively and it's easy to get caught up in the hype.

The reason you don't "feel" anything is because there's nothing there to feel. I never did either, and I tried. But you say "what about all these miraculous healings?"......well.....we know for a fact that they've been proven false time and again, just actors and actresses playing a part. Makes people dig deeper into their pockets and fatten the wallets of these so-called miracle healers.

Maybe I'm a little jaded, I don't know but I've experienced what you seem to be looking for and I'm here to tell you that it's all fake. At least you've got enough sense to know what's real and what isn't.
I once had a friend, a very non religious man tell me through the church, I don't recall if it was prayer or laying on of hands, that he was healed of cancer. I do believe him.

Old 02-02-2013, 11:46 PM

861 posts, read 1,252,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
I am spiritual, not religious. As a spiritual person, I "believe" in a power greater than myself . . .don't have a clue what it is, but I believe there is a divine power of some kind . . .

And I pray to that divine power and believe my prayers have some effect on changing "reality."

But my faith is intellectual - and maybe spiritual, but not emotional or physical . . .I can't FEEL anything coming back in terms of reciprocation . . .

So this post is for those of you who FEEL a spiritual presence . . .what can you say about that?

I am not sure why my spiritual/emotional senses are blocked (I perceive that there is a block) . . .It is very frustrating. I think my whole life would be different if I could actually FEEL a divine presence in my life.

This thread is strictly about FEELING DIVINE PRESENCE, NOT ABOUT RELIGION. I would love to hear people's experiences.
You're praying out. It lies inside you, Grasshopper.

Seriously, that's where it is. Look within and you will see beyond, my child.

Old 02-03-2013, 07:13 AM

20,154 posts, read 13,597,358 times
I never had the slightest subjective spiritual experience, even when I was open to it and seeking it. I am just one of those people who aren't subject to them I guess. However, my particular branch of fundamentalism was anti-charismatic and often cautioned (wisely, in this case, IMO) that subjective personal experiences can be misleading. We know that stimulating a particular region of the brain produces transcendent religious experiences, a sense of a Presence (positive or not), etc. so it's clear that having a "peak experience" in and of itself proves or validates nothing necessarily about one's spiritual beliefs.

Rather than seeking after experiences we were encouraged to study the Bible and meditate on it in a presumably more rational fashion. This proved to be my undoing as there is not much that's rational about the Bible, when it comes to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality