Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 12:53 PM

1,355 posts, read 1,948,003 times

Advertisements

I believe I said fewest tornadoes in Oklahoma, not zero tornadoes. There's always some, Boise City isn't perfect. I know La Junta, CO is a little better. Any major F4+ tornado hit around Boise City area in history? Hard to find any details, probably non-existent since million years ago.

Last edited by waltchan; 05-18-2016 at 01:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2016, 01:35 PM

1,812 posts, read 2,225,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltchan View Post
I believe I said fewest tornadoes in Oklahoma, not zero tornadoes. There's always some, Boise City isn't perfect. I know La Junta, CO is a little better. Any major F4+ tornado hit around Boise City area in history? Hard to find any details, probably non-existent since million years ago.
You are aware that sugared drinks, red meat and driving a car are far more dangerous than tornadoes even in the most active areas of Oklahoma, right?

Old 05-18-2016, 01:53 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,509,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swake View Post
You are aware that sugared drinks, red meat and driving a car are far more dangerous than tornadoes even in the most active areas of Oklahoma, right?

*F150 in the garage*

*no more steak*

*no more RC Cola*

Damn!

Old 05-18-2016, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swake View Post
How irreverent... I like sparse population so I don't need to worry about hitting other cars.

Old 05-23-2016, 11:00 AM

Anyone knows if the thunderstorm and tornado this week are common in these areas, historically? Boise City not affected.

Old 05-23-2016, 01:25 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,646,641 times
Quote:
Anyone knows if the thunderstorm and tornado this week are common in these areas, historically? Boise City not affected.

It depends on what is considered common. Seldom more than a week by goes during April, May, and June when the threat of severe weather arises in that area.

Old 05-24-2016, 06:03 PM

Boise City not affected again on upcoming tropical storm.

http://img-s-msn-com.akamaized.net/t...=f&x=434&y=209

Old 05-25-2016, 05:29 AM

588 posts, read 1,320,284 times
Boise City and the surrounding area has tornadoes. Maps that depict the area having fewer tornadoes than cities nearby are probably wrong. Many tornadoes are EF2 and less and are not witnessed in the sparse populated area. There is a population bias in regards to tornadoes. Either way, if a super cell forms nearby, enormous hail can be part of the equation. As a meteorologist and chaser, that area provides perfect viewing conditions however there are few roads to view them. It's flat, very wide open, and few trees. In fact, the last tornado I saw was nearby Boise City.

I honestly can't remember driving through the town on the many chaser trips. I do remember Guymon tho. It's very dry, desolate, extremely wide open, and very sunny. There can be a lot of dust when winds pick up.

Old 05-25-2016, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachj7 View Post
Boise City and the surrounding area has tornadoes. Maps that depict the area having fewer tornadoes than cities nearby are probably wrong. Many tornadoes are EF2 and less and are not witnessed in the sparse populated area. There is a population bias in regards to tornadoes. Either way, if a super cell forms nearby, enormous hail can be part of the equation. As a meteorologist and chaser, that area provides perfect viewing conditions however there are few roads to view them. It's flat, very wide open, and few trees. In fact, the last tornado I saw was nearby Boise City.

I honestly can't remember driving through the town on the many chaser trips. I do remember Guymon tho. It's very dry, desolate, extremely wide open, and very sunny. There can be a lot of dust when winds pick up.
Calculating what you just said, overall, would you rate Boise City a safe-haven city in Oklahoma or not, even with some EP2 tornadoes? If not, what about Clayton, NM, is it any better? I also like La Junta, CO, and I hear it's better than Boise City, but I don't like its location on the map.

Old 05-25-2016, 06:58 PM

17,804 posts, read 13,703,655 times
Quote:
Calculating what you just said, overall, would you rate Boise City a safe-haven city in Oklahoma or not, even with some EP2 tornadoes? If not, what about Clayton, NM, is it any better? I also like La Junta, CO, and I hear it's better than Boise City, but I don't like its location on the map.
I'd pick Clayton over Boise City simply because it's a little bit larger and has a few more amenities. It's also not really any further from Amarillo and is closer to Albuquerque and Santa Fe.

Generally, the incidence of tornado goes down the closer you get to the mountains because the moist air doesn't get that far to stir things up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma