Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 10:59 AM

169 posts, read 580,840 times

Advertisements

I thank you too Redbird. Not only beautiful but very soothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2008, 08:44 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,152,335 times
Redbird,

I'm hoping that I will carry the sound into my dreams tonight. Thank you, the music seems to echo through the soul.

Old 01-17-2008, 05:38 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,552,294 times
Default a gathering

We used to hold the sacred Sun Dance once a year when the entire tribe would gather at one place. Soon the Sun Dance was outlawed, and worse, we could not find a single buffalo on the prairie, our hearts were broken.
Now we gather to honor our traditional Indian ways and sing the beautiful songs given to us by the red wolf, we are the Kiowa Gourd Clan.
Pull up a folding chair, watch, visit, and eat with us.

Weeks before the gathering, people come from all directions, and all states to stake out their campsites.

We dance, and sing prayers to the Great Spirit. This dance was on July 4th. Our traditions are alive.

Sometimes we line up in an honor dance for someone who is being honored by a family member.

Old 01-21-2008, 03:22 AM

26 posts, read 138,297 times
Default moving to ok - back to my roots

Hi

I'm seriously thinking about moving to OK - lived all my life in rainy side of WA state and just hate it here - tried the dry side but didn't like it there either (too brown and flat) Have heard that the area around Tahlequah is pretty much like what I'm looking for - green, four distinct seasons, some mtns and water (lake/river) I am descended from Soldier Sixkiller and Abraham L Sixkiller - my grandparents and father grew up around Watts and Stilwell. I'm curious as to how welcoming the native members would be to someone that knows just a moderate amount of info about the Cherokee tribe. Do they provide good medical help (beyond Medicare?) Are there other benefits to living there that I should know about? I am SO looking forward to being able to go to powwows and the museum and all that.. anyways, any thoughts on moving to that area? is it a good area? What would I be looking at for rent? help?

Old 01-21-2008, 05:40 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,940,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird4848 View Post
It would be neat to find some relations. We found Don's Irish name going back to 1690 on RootsWeb.

There used to be a lot of people tracing their native ancestory. I don't remember the names of the lists, but I am sure they are still around. I believe if your ancestor is on the Cherokee Roll, you can become enrolled, but don't quote me on that.

That would be a time consuming project, but a worthy one.

Here is a nice song for you to enjoy. Carlos Nakai's music always soothes the soul.

YouTube - Shaman's Call
Sooth the soul is right. That's beautiful music and the images are wonderful. Thanks redbird.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:48 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,995,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonmaiden View Post
........Have heard that the area around Tahlequah is pretty much like what I'm looking for - green, four distinct seasons, some mtns and water (lake/river)
You would like it. Along with being a pretty area, it has a good university which provides alternate social events......college basketball, football, etc along with theater and the occasional concert. It's a teachers college so the music department is good along with many of the performing and fine arts. The outdoors has canoe rentals and fly fishing and deer hunting and hundreds of miles of hiking trails. Tenkiller lake is beautiful.....people form other states come there to scuba dive because of the clarity of the water.

Quote:
I'm curious as to how welcoming the native members would be to someone that knows just a moderate amount of info about the Cherokee tribe.
In this part of the country we assume everyone has NA heritage, so we don't give it a second thought.

Quote:
Do they provide good medical help (beyond Medicare?)
There are two good hospitals there. The community hospital, and the IHS hospital. They also are life flight accessible (about 20 minutes) from the major hospitals in Tulsa.

Quote:
Are there other benefits to living there that I should know about?
Outside of peace of mind, lack of rat race, friendly people, low rents, high quality of life, low cost of living, I can't think of a single thing.

Quote:
, any thoughts on moving to that area? is it a good area?
Depends on what you call good. I would move there.

Quote:
What would I be looking at for rent? help?
If you have your CDIB (Certificate of Degree of Indian Blood) and are on the rolls, you can get a house through the Cherokee. I believe they will give you the 15% down on a decent house. If you are Cherokee, but your name is not on the Dawes commission rolls (and if you are descended from the men you say, and can prove it with birth records you should be able to get a CDIB) you can get a rent house from anywhere from $200-$700. I was looking at the MLS for that area, and there is a one bath two bedroom mobile home for sale in the Tenkiller/Keys area for under $10,000. Probably in rough shape as that is about as low as properties go in that area. If you want a new house with two baths three bedrooms and a two car garage with electric openers, you will spend somewhere around $100,000 or more.

Old 01-21-2008, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Hi
I am descended from Soldier Sixkiller and Abraham L Sixkiller - my grandparents and father grew up around Watts and Stilwell. I'm curious as to how welcoming the native members would be to someone that knows just a moderate amount of info about the Cherokee tribe.
You will first be forced to walk on buffalo skulls covered in bacon grease without spilling your Indian taco to prove your worthiness. Then you have to wear the pure white sash with the bright red NEWBIE sign at a pow wow. After that you will be welcomed with open arms.

Then we teach you how to point with your lips, because in Indian country it is impolite to point.

Seriously, not to worry. You will be love it here if you choose to love it here. Its entirely up to you. Some peope are not happy wherever they go, and some are.

Moonmaiden, that is a cool name.

Painting by WW Big Bow, 1946

Old 01-23-2008, 03:43 AM

[quote=redbird4848;2578502]You will first be forced to walk on buffalo skulls covered in bacon grease without spilling your Indian taco to prove your worthiness. Then you have to wear the pure white sash with the bright red NEWBIE sign at a pow wow. After that you will be welcomed with open arms.

Then we teach you how to point with your lips, because in Indian country it is impolite to point.

Seriously, not to worry. You will be love it here if you choose to love it here. Its entirely up to you. Some peope are not happy wherever they go, and some are.

Moonmaiden, that is a cool name.'quote]

Redbird - loved your post - as long as I can use my cane, I will walk on the buffalo skulls with head held high <g> One question tho - if I have to point with my lips, do I have to say 'ugh' or something too LOL Seriously my grandma could say more with her facial expressions than words. I can remember one time that I disappointed her (don't know if you know what a snowball tree is but the 'snowballs' are balls of tiny flowers similar to lilacs?) I had denuded her snowball tree and scattered the flowers all over the yard because it did look like snow (okay, I was very very young and a tad bit stupid back then) and altho she didn't spank or yell at me the disappointment and sorrow on her face when she saw what I (and my brother) had done, made me cry and affected me probably stronger than if she had yelled and screamed and hit me!!

I am looking forward to moving tho - more and more thanks to the kindness of all of you and your posts!!

Old 01-23-2008, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
You would like it. Along with being a pretty area, it has a good university which provides alternate social events......college basketball, football, etc along with theater and the occasional concert. It's a teachers college so the music department is good along with many of the performing and fine arts. The outdoors has canoe rentals and fly fishing and deer hunting and hundreds of miles of hiking trails. Tenkiller lake is beautiful.....people form other states come there to scuba dive because of the clarity of the water.

Outside of peace of mind, lack of rat race, friendly people, low rents, high quality of life, low cost of living, I can't think of a single thing.

If you have your CDIB (Certificate of Degree of Indian Blood) and are on the rolls, you can get a house through the Cherokee. I believe they will give you the 15% down on a decent house. If you are Cherokee, but your name is not on the Dawes commission rolls (and if you are descended from the men you say, and can prove it with birth records you should be able to get a CDIB) you can get a rent house from anywhere from $200-$700.
I do have my CDIB as grandma was on the rolls - neither of my grandfathers were tho so their blood quantum isn't counted. Looks like my dream of enough room for a good sized garden and a greenhouse for my herbs is doable then - even for someone on low income. You know you guys aren't talking me out of this LOL Now the hard part is waiting til late summer to come!!!

Oh any suggestions for small towns fairly close to Tahlequah that would be a good bet to explore? Thanks 'good pasture' for the help!!

Old 01-23-2008, 06:28 AM

Tahlequah area is beautiful. I don't know that area too well, actually, I don't know it at all. We went to a funeral up that way and heard the christian hymns being sung in the Cherokee language. It was beautiful.

Hope all goes well for you, but please don't say ugh when you get here. You will have to brush up on your okie vocabulary.
Try saying things like, "dah-aiing, ya'll need ta simmer down."

Here is another 1929 painting by smokey, your story with your grandma reminded me of this painting.

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff275/redbird4848/KIA9.jpg (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma