Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 11:01 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,070,983 times

Advertisements

I took a Native American History class one time at Connors State College in Muskogee. I was the only white person in the class and the first night I distinguished myself (as usual). When everyone had to tell their name and interest in the class and if they had any NA Ancestors, I said "I have a NA Step-father, grew up in OKLAHOMA, and I got my interest in Native American History by osmosis." Needless to say, the students other than myself didn't look upon me with favor after that. They were all related "BY BLOOD" to Chief Such-And-So, or Someone Who Did Something Important, I was just related to a plain old farmer that is a full blood. I lasted about 2 weeks... it is a good thing they can't stop my interest huh?

Karen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 05:59 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,548,762 times
I agree okpondlady. I have met many a blood brother from the Mayflower Tribe.

None of us can help what race we are born in to. Heck, even Haskell student body looks like it is about 60% anglo from all the mixed blood students.

There are very few full-bloods of any tribe. And even in the past, my tribe always went on raids down into mexico for for women and horses. So, there has always been mixed bloods.

Just imagine what its like for me to go to KSU and be the only Indian in ALL my classes. People up there used to ask me what kind of food Indians ate. (I should have said raw toungue and ramen noodles! )

Old 01-03-2008, 09:09 PM

Default Native American Art 1929

Back in the 1920's in SW Oklahoma, an art teacher noticed several of her Kiowa Indian students loved to draw. Although most students were busy with working in the fields, she encouraged them by bringing them drawing supplies and paper.

She eventually took 5 of them to OU where an art professor gave them paints and allowed them to paint what they remembered best, their culture. The art professor did not want them influenced by any european/american artist, so he kept them away from outside influences.

They became known as the Kiowa Five. Their style became the forerunner of the 2 dimensional art form common to Native American art. A portfolio was published in 1929 with 30 paintings and opened in Europe where it was loved and appreciated.

Here is one painting.

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff275/redbird4848/KiowaIndianArt23.jpg (broken link)

Old 01-04-2008, 10:06 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,070,983 times
I have a full-blood "sister" that is actually my cousin that we have raised since she was a baby. She is culturally much more white than Creek. My mother is seriously convinced she will be going to OU and be a socialite and/or pledgesororities. I have tried to explain to her they are very racist (although there maybe NA Sororities now but last I knew they didn't even at NSU in Tahalequah). She has all her prom dresses and clothes from when she was band attendant and stuff, Mama says she is going to pack them so she can wear them at college. Good Luck. I ain't telling her any different.
She keeps threatening to send her to Haskell, how is it there? She asked me if everyone at Haskell is FB, apparently Mama has told her they are. You should have told them Buffalo Tounge and Fry Bread. hahahahaha

Old 01-05-2008, 07:57 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,624,728 times
Your mom sounds like a nice lady, okpondlady, even if she is living in the past. That's funny about the old prom dresses.

Old 01-05-2008, 04:49 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,370,058 times
Thank you for this thread Redbird, each time I visit the OK forum I don't see much on the ndn's living there nor much info about the living conditions for us. I'm a mix blood. I've only driven thru, I'm from the PNW but my heritage is SE.

Old 01-05-2008, 05:52 PM

Don't forget to tune your internet to

Native American Powwow - Gathering of Nations

and listen to their radio for traditional and contemporary music of the Native Americans. They also have some cool screen savers and backgrounds.

Old 01-05-2008, 06:09 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,992,704 times
wado, redbird

Old 01-05-2008, 08:19 PM

GP, do you gourd dance? I belong to the Kiowa Gourd Clan. It would be really cool to meet at a pow wow one of these days.

The gourd dance is pretty common at all intertribal pow wows. I think your wife would like it too. It doesn't require any regalia other than the gourd rattle and a fan.

Old 01-05-2008, 11:31 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,329,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird4848 View Post
May not be complete, but here is a list of tribes in Oklahoma:
Quite a list! I knew there were a lot, but not just how many.

My husband's mother was Cherokee and Quapaw, but she never admitted it - mainly because she was silly and vain and didn't want anyone to know just how old she was. He said he thought he was actuallly 7 when he started kindergarten, because they moved around so much no one really had any idea how old he was, and she claimed she'd lost his birth certificate when she finally let him start school. And of course, she could claim she was a lot younger than she was if her oldest was just starting school.

Another odd bit was that on his father's side, his grandfather [or maybe great grandfather] was one of the mountain men - seems he didn't actuallly start his family until he was pushing 70 - in the northern Rockies named North Bend McLain. I think he went into the mountains in the 1830s or so, none of the men were inclined to settle into family life of any kind until they were well on in years.

There's an interesting pic of McLain, which I don't have, showing him with a stack of furs nearly as high as he was tall, with a long rifle and a bundle of traps, wearing a coat he'd made of furs he'd trapped himself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma