Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 08:05 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,584,321 times

Advertisements

If anyone gets this station, check it out and tell me how you like the Native programing.

RSU Radio 91.3 FM broadcasts live from the Claremore campus of Rogers State University.

Saturdays
8:00 a.m. Cherokee Voices & Cherokee Sound
Tribal music and language instruction

Sundays
10:00 a.m. Native Air
Area tribal news and music hosted by Dr. Hugh Foley

12:00 p.m. Cherokee Voices & Cherokee Sound
Tribal music and language instruction
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2008, 08:24 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,804,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird4848 View Post
Colleeng, you are most welcome, as is everyone else. I would advise you take a few seconds to learn some basic pow wow etiquette.

Its pretty simple, and there are tons of websites which outline them. Here is one link.

Powwow Power - Powwow Etiquette - pow wow, powwows, pow-wow

I found some pics I took back in 1998 and will post them later when I get them back from waldo world. Its not a regular intertribal, the pics I have are of the gathering of the Kiowa Gourd Clan. There is the only place I blend in with all the other big ndns!
redbird, thanks for posting that. im looking forward to going to a powwow this summer. i read the etiquette, and its pretty much common sense, common courtesy. too bad so many people need to be reminded of it

Old 01-12-2008, 08:30 AM

169 posts, read 581,584 times
Quote:
Colleeng, you are most welcome, as is everyone else. I would advise you take a few seconds to learn some basic pow wow etiquette.

Its pretty simple, and there are tons of websites which outline them. Here is one link.

Powwow Power - Powwow Etiquette - pow wow, powwows, pow-wow

I found some pics I took back in 1998 and will post them later when I get them back from waldo world. Its not a regular intertribal, the pics I have are of the gathering of the Kiowa Gourd Clan. There is the only place I blend in with all the other big ndns!
Thanks redbird for the link listing Powwow Etiquette. I checked it out & have marked it for future reference when we come down in the summer. It is a shame you have to remind people to be courteous & respectful, but I've been working with the general public a long time so I know how it goes. Looking forward to more pics!

Old 01-14-2008, 08:36 PM

24 posts, read 60,659 times
Quote:
The birthday of Oklahoma has made me think of my own heritage.

I wish to pay my respects and honor the Native Americans who live in the state of Oklahoma. All 40 Federally recognized tribes and the tribes who are not federally recognized, I dedicate this thread.

I read somewhere that Native Americans were not even accorded status as American citizens until 1924.

I have great respect for them because they always seem to live their lives with dignity and deep reverence for our Creator and Mother Earth.

Here is a pic of my great-grandfathers. Men I cannot even compare myself to.

L to R: Lonewolf, Tsonetokoy, Haumpy, Little Chief, Redbird
Thanks for the pictures!!! I homeschool my child and the pics were very helpful. I've been explaining to my child that we have distant relatives in Oklahoma, even though we may not know them. We are in Georgia with Cherokee relatives on my fathers side (grandfather and great grandparents listed on several of the 'Rolls'). Many distant relatives made their way to Oklahoma by way of the Trail of Tears. Even though I may not look the part....fair skinned with blue eyes (took after my mom instead of my dad)....my heart is very red and full of pride!!!!

Old 01-14-2008, 08:55 PM

Two of my favorites.......

The Ten Commandments
  1. The Earth is our Mother; care for Her
  2. Honor all your relations.
  3. Open your heart and soul to the Great Spirit.
  4. All life is sacred; treat all beings with respect.
  5. Take from the Earth what is needed and nothing more.
  6. Do what needs to be done for the good of all.
  7. Give constant thanks to the Great Spirit for each day.
  8. Speak the truth but only for the good in others.
  9. Follow the rhythms of Nature.
  10. Enjoy life's journey; but leave no tracks.
__________________________________________________ ______________
Ojibwa Prayer

Oh Great Spirit, whose voice I hear in the winds
And whose breath gives life to everyone,
Hear me.
I come to you as one of your many children;
I am weak... I am small...I need your wisdom
and your strength.
Let me walk in beauty, and make my eyes ever
behold the red and purple sunsets.
Make my hands respect the things you have made,
and make my ears sharp so I may hear your voice.
Make me wise, so that I may understand what you
have taught my people and
The lessons you have hidden in each leaf and each rock.
I ask for wisdom and strength,
Not to be superior to my brothers, but to be able
to fight my greatest enemy, myself.
Make me ever ready to come before you with
clean hands and a straight eye,
So as life fades away as a fading sunset,
My spirit may come to you without shame.

Old 01-14-2008, 08:59 PM

7,525 posts, read 17,021,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weather Girl View Post
............We are in Georgia with Cherokee relatives on my fathers side (grandfather and great grandparents listed on several of the 'Rolls'). Many distant relatives made their way to Oklahoma by way of the Trail of Tears. Even though I may not look the part....fair skinned with blue eyes (took after my mom instead of my dad)....my heart is very red and full of pride!!!!
Osiyo, U lv............Welcome to the Oklahoma Forum. Come visit us sometime.

Old 01-14-2008, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weather Girl View Post
Thanks for the pictures!!! I homeschool my child and the pics were very helpful. I've been explaining to my child that we have distant relatives in Oklahoma, even though we may not know them. We are in Georgia with Cherokee relatives on my fathers side (grandfather and great grandparents listed on several of the 'Rolls'). Many distant relatives made their way to Oklahoma by way of the Trail of Tears. Even though I may not look the part....fair skinned with blue eyes (took after my mom instead of my dad)....my heart is very red and full of pride!!!!

I have family members who are Cherokee, who knows we may be related. What are some of the surnames of your Cherokee ancestors?

Check out this cool site:

Cherokee Nation | Culture

Old 01-14-2008, 09:13 PM

Quote:
I have family members who are Cherokee, who knows we may be related. What are some of the surnames of your Cherokee ancestors?

Check out this cool site:

Cherokee Nation | Culture
The main surname would be Langley...my understanding is that there are alot of Langley's in Oklahoma and that is not a very common surname, at least not around here.

Old 01-14-2008, 09:44 PM

It would be neat to find some relations. We found Don's Irish name going back to 1690 on RootsWeb.

There used to be a lot of people tracing their native ancestory. I don't remember the names of the lists, but I am sure they are still around. I believe if your ancestor is on the Cherokee Roll, you can become enrolled, but don't quote me on that.

That would be a time consuming project, but a worthy one.

Here is a nice song for you to enjoy. Carlos Nakai's music always soothes the soul.

YouTube - Shaman's Call

Old 01-15-2008, 06:48 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,804,765 times
Quote:
It would be neat to find some relations. We found Don's Irish name going back to 1690 on RootsWeb.

There used to be a lot of people tracing their native ancestory. I don't remember the names of the lists, but I am sure they are still around. I believe if your ancestor is on the Cherokee Roll, you can become enrolled, but don't quote me on that.

That would be a time consuming project, but a worthy one.

Here is a nice song for you to enjoy. Carlos Nakai's music always soothes the soul.

YouTube - Shaman's Call
that was beautiful, redbird. thanks for sharing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma