Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 10:36 PM

85 posts, read 217,879 times

Advertisements

I checked into seeing if I was able to become a citizen of the cherokee tribe a few years ago. found out I would need to show my linear ancestor on the dawes roll. on my fathers side is cochran, mothers side I have scoggins. the list is full of both them names but I was unable to find a real direct link to it. I myself am not a genealogy expert but my sister is and she says she has yet to find a direct link as of yet. when I asked some of the elders on both sides of the family if any family is on this list, I pretty much got the same answer, and that is (please no one take offence to this but it is what was said) back in those days we where made to feel shameful to be considered an indian, and if they said they were indian, they could have very well lost any jobs they had or took a huge cut in pay, and it was difficult at best for them to even put food on the table and provide for us kids as it was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2012, 08:18 AM

1,812 posts, read 2,223,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourokcproperty View Post
May not be complete, but here is a list of tribes in Oklahoma:

ABSENTEE SHAWNEE TRIBE

ALABAMA QUASSARTE

APACHE TRIBE

CADDO TRIBE

CHEROKEE NATION

CHEYENNE-ARAPAHO TRIBE
That's not remotely complete. You only have one of the five civilized tribes. Oklahoma has something like 50 tribes.

Old 08-12-2012, 06:50 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,257,297 times
I am terrible with the proper names of Tribes. The Nine Tribes of Eastern Oklahoma are Shawnee, Miami, Modoc, Ottawa, Peoria, Quapaw, Seneca, Cayuga, and Wyandotte. In Muskogee at the entrance of Honor Park you can find the museum representing the Cherokee, Chickasaw, Choctaw, Creek, and Seminole Tribes.

Elsewhere in you can find the Chippewa Cree, Arapaho, Comanche, Apache, Absentee Shawnee, Otoe Missouria, Pawnee, and Cheyenne Tribes.

Total 22 Tribes.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:29 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,979,592 times
You don't consider the Iowa or Ponca tribes? How about the Kansa? Or the Kiowa?

You're missing a bunch

Old 08-14-2012, 04:09 AM

793 posts, read 1,111,543 times
Oklahoma has 40 tribes; 37 federally recognized and 3 non-federally recognized.

I'm 9/32 Choctaw and member of the Choctaw Nation, and I'm also 1/4 Navajo, and 1/32 Cherokee.

Old 08-16-2012, 07:47 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,955,296 times
Other's missing are the two Delaware Nations (Lenni Lenape), the Osages, the Wichitas, the Tonkawas...these are just missing ones off the top of my head. There are more.

Old 08-16-2012, 08:14 PM

1,812 posts, read 2,223,353 times
Intertribal Indian Club Of Tulsa Pow Wow of Champions this weekend at the Mabee Center in Tulsa

Old 09-14-2014, 09:45 AM

1 posts, read 694 times
I have been trying for many years to get a few photographs of plots in Swallow Rock burial grounds. I know this is sacred ground. These are of my children's ancestors. Two from the Indian Agency promised them, and I never heard from them again. ---Mary Perkins

Old 09-14-2014, 01:07 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,399,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azalealady View Post
I have been trying for many years to get a few photographs of plots in Swallow Rock burial grounds. I know this is sacred ground. These are of my children's ancestors. Two from the Indian Agency promised them, and I never heard from them again. ---Mary Perkins
Have you contacted FindAGrave.com

Old 09-18-2014, 01:55 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,257,297 times
Unless your children are adopted, these are your ancestors also. I am a pale-face too, but one of my best friends is Cherokee. She keeps an indian home, observes indian rituals, and honors her ancestors. She has taught me much.

The one thing I learned is sacred ground is a very special place not to be disturbed. There are members who refuse to be photographed even at a public powwow, and their are tribes that do not allow camera on hallowed ground. This is why one does not assume; one asks for permission from the tribal council or chief.

Today the tribal Chief is more accessible than in history past. If you call,, explain the situation, and ask the proper procedure to get the photographs, you will receive the correct answer. It may be No. I expect it to be a complicated and lengthy prS/ocess if your request is granted. The tribal historian today is a college graduate. S/he may be of great help to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azalealady View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma