Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 08:37 AM

7,525 posts, read 17,013,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird4848 View Post
GP, do you gourd dance? I belong to the Kiowa Gourd Clan. It would be really cool to meet at a pow wow one of these days.

The gourd dance is pretty common at all intertribal pow wows. I think your wife would like it too. It doesn't require any regalia other than the gourd rattle and a fan.
I don't dance, but I spectate really well. Would love to meet at a pow wow some day.......I'll buy the frybread
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2008, 06:25 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,801,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
I don't dance, but I spectate really well. Would love to meet at a pow wow some day.......I'll buy the frybread
Are pow wows something that anyone can go to, or do you have to be part NA? I would love to go to one.

Old 01-07-2008, 07:45 AM

pow wows are open to the public, for the most part. There are ceremonies that some people have that are private, but you will rarely if ever hear of them. The most you will see is an area that is described as a peoples stomp ground or there will be an area blocked off that you cannot go to. Otherwise you are free to attend

Old 01-07-2008, 05:12 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,574,158 times
Colleeng, you are most welcome, as is everyone else. I would advise you take a few seconds to learn some basic pow wow etiquette.

Its pretty simple, and there are tons of websites which outline them. Here is one link.

Powwow Power - Powwow Etiquette - pow wow, powwows, pow-wow

I found some pics I took back in 1998 and will post them later when I get them back from waldo world. Its not a regular intertribal, the pics I have are of the gathering of the Kiowa Gourd Clan. There is the only place I blend in with all the other big ndns!

Old 01-07-2008, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
We can spectate together, as I gave away my regalia. Should be fun. Maybe we can invite others here on the forum. Summer is right around the corner!

And this freaky weather proves it!

Old 01-07-2008, 05:27 PM

Quote:
.............. I would advise you take a few seconds to learn some basic pow wow etiquette.
It is amazing to me that people assume a pow wow is nothing but a show of some sort. I wonder how they would feel if someone walked into their church and carried on with disrespect. Maybe try on the priests robes or splashed around in the holy water, played with the organ or stroked the crucifix then when the services start sit in the middle of the choir and take pictures of the rituals. Oh yeah, don't forget to ask someone across the room if they could explain what is going on or if they knew what was going to happen next or if they knew where the bathroom was.

Such people need to return to the cities and stay there. We don't need them here.

Old 01-07-2008, 10:13 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,339,764 times
Quote:
Colleeng, you are most welcome, as is everyone else. I would advise you take a few seconds to learn some basic pow wow etiquette.

Its pretty simple, and there are tons of websites which outline them. Here is one link.

Powwow Power - Powwow Etiquette - pow wow, powwows, pow-wow

I found some pics I took back in 1998 and will post them later when I get them back from waldo world. Its not a regular intertribal, the pics I have are of the gathering of the Kiowa Gourd Clan. There is the only place I blend in with all the other big ndns!
I went to the site and read the 'etiquette' part.

I find it very distressing to think that JQP has to be reminded to be respectful and considerate. He/she would certainly be tweaked if some stranger came into his/her church and started taking pix and recorded services. What on earth ever happened to common courtesy? Is it really so uncommon these days?

Old 01-08-2008, 12:07 AM

795 posts, read 2,301,606 times
Exclamation where's the beef brah!

Quote:
I agree okpondlady. I have met many a blood brother from the Mayflower Tribe.
You have not met Miss Sweet P, her American Patriarch was an indentured servant to Mr. Hopkins, both signed the Mayflower Compact, declaring that they would be good pilgrims in the ’new world’.

Quote:
None of us can help what race we are born in to. Heck, even Haskell student body looks like it is about 60% anglo from all the mixed blood students.
I wonder what that "blood" looks like. When I mix paint in art class it no longer looks like this or that color.

Quote:
There are very few full-bloods of any tribe. And even in the past, my tribe always went on raids down into mexico for for women and horses. So, there has always been mixed bloods.
'My tribe" went a Viking around the ‘known’ world. The coast of England was most thirst-quenching.

Quote:
Just imagine what its like for me to go to KSU and be the only Indian in ALL my classes. People up there used to ask me what kind of food Indians ate. (I should have said raw toungue and ramen noodles! )
I have read articles of what the People ate and there were no ramen noodles listed. Also eats during that forced march referred to as the ‘Trail of Tears’ were mighty slim pickings.

Old 01-11-2008, 06:19 PM

Beaded medicine bag

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff275/redbird4848/tengrandmothersmedicinebeadedbag.jpg (broken link)

Old 01-11-2008, 06:49 PM

Default Pic of The Guardian before it went up atop the Dome

The Oklahoma state capitol building dome is topped by a 22' 9" statue of an American Indian warrior called The Guardian on June 7, 2002. The sculptor, Oklahoma State Senator (D) Enoch Kelly Haney is a member of the Seminole tribe.

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff275/redbird4848/TheGuardianOKStateCapitolBldgStatue.jpg (broken link)

Pretty cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma