Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2022, 10:42 AM

30,317 posts, read 11,948,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Although most of our malcontents have moved on or gotten banned... I used to laugh at those goofballs when they would try and claim that Oklahoma summers were like that of southern Arizona. Just like I'd laugh when they would try and claim that our winters were like International Falls.

Fact of the matter is as a rule of thumb our summers are better than any place south of here and our winters are better than any place north of here. And the inverse is also correct.
I would say that se Arizona into NM around Deming has an excellent climate. Bisbee and Silver City being the best. But Tucson to Phoenix is much hotter for much longer. The days there that heavy monsoon weather, below 100, high dew points and cloudy are some of the best summer days and about normal in summer here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2022, 12:42 PM

1,811 posts, read 916,101 times
Quote:
Although most of our malcontents have moved on or gotten banned... I used to laugh at those goofballs when they would try and claim that Oklahoma summers were like that of southern Arizona. Just like I'd laugh when they would try and claim that our winters were like International Falls.

Fact of the matter is as a rule of thumb our summers are better than any place south of here and our winters are better than any place north of here. And the inverse is also correct.
Oklahoma summers suck! Everyone knows that. 100 degree temps and 80% humidity. Your cheerleading doesn’t change reality. Folks don’t move to Oklahoma for the weather. They move there cause it’s cheap livin’.

Old 03-01-2022, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketchikanite View Post
Oklahoma summers suck! Everyone knows that. 100 degree temps and 80% humidity. Your cheerleading doesn’t change reality. Folks don’t move to Oklahoma for the weather. They move there cause it’s cheap livin’.
Your numbers are way off. 100 degrees with 80% humidity is 158 heat index. 105 heat index is extreme heat. And warning are issued. Over 110 is life threatening. There has never been 158 heat index recorded in the USA. You are off by 50 degrees via the heat index.

Summer months were I am (June-September) 88 during the day about 68 at night. Much cooler than Texas to the south. I have lived along the Texas coast and in the Arizona desert. Its cooler here in the summer, a lot. But outside of Hawaii and the California coast where else to do you move just for the weather? Every other area has something wrong with it. Too hot or too cold part of the year.

Old 03-02-2022, 04:34 PM

17,898 posts, read 13,830,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Your numbers are way off. 100 degrees with 80% humidity is 158 heat index. 105 heat index is extreme heat. And warning are issued. Over 110 is life threatening. There has never been 158 heat index recorded in the USA. You are off by 50 degrees via the heat index.

Summer months were I am (June-September) 88 during the day about 68 at night. Much cooler than Texas to the south. I have lived along the Texas coast and in the Arizona desert. Its cooler here in the summer, a lot. But outside of Hawaii and the California coast where else to do you move just for the weather? Every other area has something wrong with it. Too hot or too cold part of the year.
I will say that that summer in 2011 was Phoenix level bad. We get one or two a decade that are in that ballpark.... but in Phoenix it is like that every year and it is a good two to two and half months longer.

Old 03-02-2022, 07:14 PM

24,804 posts, read 11,200,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketchikanite View Post
Show me cheap please.

Old 03-02-2022, 07:58 PM

Quote:
I will say that that summer in 2011 was Phoenix level bad. We get one or two a decade that are in that ballpark.... but in Phoenix it is like that every year and it is a good two to two and half months longer.
I was not here then. I have been surprised how mild they have been. You always have the stretch of mid to upper 90's but summer ends much sooner than Arizona. Only problem is Flagstaff or Mt. Lemmon are not a easy car ride away. Its hot in all directions.

2020 in Arizona was bad. I stayed in Oklahoma the whole. Tucson was like Phoenix, hardly a monsoon and way over 100 all the time. Phoenix was off the charts. 53 days it hit 110. By the end of October 2020 there were more days above 100 than below. Used to be a joke. Only 4 things bad about Phoenix. June, July, August and September.

Old 03-04-2022, 05:05 AM

24,357 posts, read 13,220,827 times
Quote:
I was not here then. I have been surprised how mild they have been. You always have the stretch of mid to upper 90's but summer ends much sooner than Arizona. Only problem is Flagstaff or Mt. Lemmon are not a easy car ride away. Its hot in all directions.

2020 in Arizona was bad. I stayed in Oklahoma the whole. Tucson was like Phoenix, hardly a monsoon and way over 100 all the time. Phoenix was off the charts. 53 days it hit 110. By the end of October 2020 there were more days above 100 than below. Used to be a joke. Only 4 things bad about Phoenix. June, July, August and September.
But it's a dry heat, everyone would say. Yeah, like the inside of my oven, that's a dry heat, too. In 1995 I was stationed at Luke, and it hit 123 on July 31st, sucked the life out of you as you walked outside; a lot of our flying was cancelled for several days. ONLY 121 in Phoenix that day, one short of June 30th, 1990's record. The humidity isn't like Kuwait or Iraq so there's some respite. My first duty assignment was central Louisiana and while the highs rarely exceeded 95 the dewpoints routinely approached 80.

Other threads in AZ have talked about 2021's "nonsoon", it was weak. There were some really good ones (1990, I was in Tucson and it was awesome) and some busts.

In 2021 down here in SW OK we didn't hit 100 until August 9th, and then only once more in late September. Nothing like 2011 (which WAS hot, after February's low of -31 in Nowata, we were ONLY down to -2 here).

Old 03-04-2022, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
But it's a dry heat, everyone would say. Yeah, like the inside of my oven, that's a dry heat, too. In 1995 I was stationed at Luke, and it hit 123 on July 31st, sucked the life out of you as you walked outside; a lot of our flying was cancelled for several days. ONLY 121 in Phoenix that day, one short of June 30th, 1990's record. The humidity isn't like Kuwait or Iraq so there's some respite. My first duty assignment was central Louisiana and while the highs rarely exceeded 95 the dewpoints routinely approached 80.

Other threads in AZ have talked about 2021's "nonsoon", it was weak. There were some really good ones (1990, I was in Tucson and it was awesome) and some busts.

In 2021 down here in SW OK we didn't hit 100 until August 9th, and then only once more in late September. Nothing like 2011 (which WAS hot, after February's low of -31 in Nowata, we were ONLY down to -2 here).
By August in Phoenix the moisture from the monsoon season raises the dew point usually. Not quite as hot meaning below 110 but more humid. And the nights stay close to 90. You can't even go for a walk at dawn and not be boiling.

Old 03-04-2022, 06:23 PM

24,357 posts, read 13,220,827 times
Quote:
By August in Phoenix the moisture from the monsoon season raises the dew point usually. Not quite as hot meaning below 110 but more humid. And the nights stay close to 90. You can't even go for a walk at dawn and not be boiling.
As a 19 year old I did roofing in the summer in PHX. Start at sunrise, which in June is before 5 AM (no DST) and end at 9:30 to 10. Slopping tar on flat Santa Fe style casita roofs at what was then John Gardiner's Tennis Ranch. Then work on pools or decks until 2, which was go-home time. It was really hot, no other descriptor. And I remember evaporative (swamp) coolers not really working in late July and into August when the dew point passed 60.

My wife's family farm house (built circa 1925) doesn't have AC, neither did the house she grew up in (built 1965) until about 15 years ago. Just a swamp cooler but in NW OK (Major County) it worked a little bit better than down here and a lot better than Durant or Idabel or Poteau.

Old 03-04-2022, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
As a 19 year old I did roofing in the summer in PHX. Start at sunrise, which in June is before 5 AM (no DST) and end at 9:30 to 10. Slopping tar on flat Santa Fe style casita roofs at what was then John Gardiner's Tennis Ranch. Then work on pools or decks until 2, which was go-home time. It was really hot, no other descriptor. And I remember evaporative (swamp) coolers not really working in late July and into August when the dew point passed 60.

My wife's family farm house (built circa 1925) doesn't have AC, neither did the house she grew up in (built 1965) until about 15 years ago. Just a swamp cooler but in NW OK (Major County) it worked a little bit better than down here and a lot better than Durant or Idabel or Poteau.
Swamp coolers work fine in the panhandle of Texas. Amarillo has a dewpoint in the low 50's in summer. I remember seeing them there and west towards Tucumcari. So if you are in Oklahoma but in that region it would probably work better there than in Phoenix in the summer. I remember I had this giant one in Tucson years ago. It was like a hurricane blowing through the house. Papers on a table would just blow off when it was set to high. It did keep it cool. And they are so cheap to operate. Side note. I used to flip houses in AZ. I would advertise them nationally. The biggest question I got over and over about the houses. "What is a swamp cooler?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma