Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2022, 05:41 PM

1,839 posts, read 677,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
If Republicans win Congress, they're very likely to end Ukraine support altogether. Not just because they now have a love affair with the dictator in Russia, but because Democrats largely backed it. Much of their philosophy now is to simply be contrarian regardless of consequences.
There are still Republicans that support military aid to Ukraine, more or less the Establishment and war hawk Republicans, including Mitch McConnell - who would possibly be Senate Majority Leader again, Tom Cotton, and the "RINO" ones, and those in the middle of RINO and Far Right, like probably Lindsay Graham. You can tell by the ones who voted for aid before, and have at one point, used harsh language against Putin. The conservatives that blame Biden for the war, and never say anything about Putin unless pressed, like Tulsi Gabbard albeit not a Senator, are pro Putin.

From what I can see of the new crop of Republican candidates for Senate from Vance to Blake Masters to the NH candidate, they likely would oppose aid to Ukraine.

With the Democrat Party being so lousy in function, it would be sad if American democracy breaks before Putin's dictatorship of Russia ends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2022, 02:59 AM

24,124 posts, read 32,491,384 times
A skeptical look at Vance

Hmmm. So, is there another way to look at Vance? He changed his name. His politics. He was a "never Trumper", now he is a MAGA, he converted to Roman Catholicism. His promises to end opioid addiction in Ohio, are at odds with deals that he's made and company he has kept.

While he attended OSU as an undergraduate, in his book "Hillbilly Elegy", he is clearly not a fan of the state of Ohio. His mother was an addict, yet he deals with drug companies when it serves his purpose. Vance likes Big Pharma when they are investing in him.

Most telling for me, Mike DeWine, who I do not always agree with but who is an honest man and appears to have the best interest of Ohio in mind, has endorsed Tim Ryan.

I don't trust Vance as far as I could throw him.

Old 11-05-2022, 08:20 AM

3,406 posts, read 1,906,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
A skeptical look at Vance

Hmmm. So, is there another way to look at Vance? He changed his name. His politics. He was a "never Trumper", now he is a MAGA, he converted to Roman Catholicism. His promises to end opioid addiction in Ohio, are at odds with deals that he's made and company he has kept.

While he attended OSU as an undergraduate, in his book "Hillbilly Elegy", he is clearly not a fan of the state of Ohio. His mother was an addict, yet he deals with drug companies when it serves his purpose. Vance likes Big Pharma when they are investing in him.

Most telling for me, Mike DeWine, who I do not always agree with but who is an honest man and appears to have the best interest of Ohio in mind, has endorsed Tim Ryan.

I don't trust Vance as far as I could throw him.
I don't trust a single Democrat, including Manchin, who treats his fellow West Virginians like they're ignorant and stupid. He'll be voted out next week!

Old 11-05-2022, 10:52 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,800,865 times
You want to know who J.D. Vance is? Research his involvement in Rumble. I'll never understand this disturbing embrace of Putin on the far right.

Old 11-05-2022, 03:03 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,147,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by columbusboy8 View Post
I don't trust a single Democrat, including Manchin, who treats his fellow West Virginians like they're ignorant and stupid. He'll be voted out next week!
I hoping for the massive RED WAVE myself. I'll never understand why anyone would want to follow a group like the democrat party who enslaved a entire race and then fought to keep slavery the way they did. And are still using them as vote slave, then never give them a thing to help them out after promising it to them. Very sad.

Old 11-07-2022, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbusboy8 View Post
Manchin is not up for re-election this year.

Old 11-07-2022, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post

Where did you read that DeWine endorsed Ryan?

DeWine and Vance were campaigning together:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...nd/ar-AA13wvX4

Ryan is fighting an uphill battle in a Red state where the Republican governor is popular and also up for re-election, and to add insult to injury, no support from the Democrat Party. Even Oprah didn't include him in an endorsement list of mainly Democrat candidates. His mistake was voting 100% with Biden and Pelosi this last year, while the Party won't support him back. Georgia is more important to defend. I hate to say this but it kind of looks like the party doesn seem interested in white straight male candidates from the middle of the country, anymore, unless they are very left in view. Not that Party support would help in OH this year though, given that most in OH dislike the way the Democrats are handling Congress and the WH.

Perhaps if he didn't vote for all the bills, he could differentiate himself better from the Party, but can't break off as an alternative Democrat with his voting record.

Also surprised how little Klobuchar is stumping for candidates. She could have stumped for him, and it would help a bit. I see Ted Cruz and Republican Senators all over stumping for Republican candidates, but Democrat Senators are largely absent.

Old 11-07-2022, 11:52 AM

7,081 posts, read 8,950,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g555 View Post
Where did you read that DeWine endorsed Ryan?
Nowhere.

https://jdvance.com/endorsements/

Old 11-10-2022, 05:37 AM

7,685 posts, read 13,147,097 times
Thank you ohio for staying strong and staying RED. Ohio, you ROCK!!

Old 11-10-2022, 04:26 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,071,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
Thank you ohio for staying strong and staying RED. Ohio, you ROCK!!
Seems from the results around the rest of the country that Ryan was just a bad candidate. At best, this was a red trickle. A wholly embarrassing outcome for national Republicans that were *so* sure it was going to be a red wave. They completely underestimated anger about the overturing of Roe, and significantly overestimated voters prioritizing inflation, something which Biden and the Dems weren't even responsible for to begin with. Trump also seems to have been a big factor in the losses. Many of his endorsed candidates crapped the bed, and it seems the national electorate may be tiring of the GOP backing lunatics and election deniers. I have to say, that wasn't exactly the outcome I expected, but it sure put a big smile on my face.
Dems may end up not losing either the House or Senate, though the House is less likely, if only by a very small margin. What an incredible outcome for what should have been a GOP slam dunk.

Turnout in blue counties was very low in Ohio, which indicates it's more that the local Democratic Party is terrible, much like they are in some of the other states that GOP did well, such as in Florida. I think Ryan ultimately hurt himself by distancing himself from Biden, but also by trying to act like a moderate Republican instead of a Democrat. Democratic voters want strong, left of center candidates, not wishy-washy conservatives.

That said, even in Ohio, Democrats managed to flip some Republican House seats and won all 5 of the ones that were actually competitive outside of GOP gerrymandering. The entire state overall moved left from 2020 and 2018. This tells me Ohio isn't lost to Dems, they just need better candidates and a much more focused GOTV effort in urban areas, something they have failed to do where Dems in other states are making significant inroads in red areas.

Beyond that, the long-term demographics may be unfavorable to Republicans, despite common perceptions. While Ohio is not a fast-growing state and is still majority white and older by far, what growth it does have are in more Dem-friendly demographics. Red counties in the state were responsible for nearly 88% of the counties that lost population the last decade, adding up to more than 60,000 people leaving those counties. Columbus alone added double that number, and Franklin County added almost 3x it. The vast majority of that growth were non-whites and immigrants. The same is happening in Cincinnati, one of the only other places to be growing in the state. Counties like Delaware are also gradually moving towards the blue side, with Republican margins shrinking just about every election cycle, and it's the fastest-growing county by % in the state. So again, the idea that Ohio is somehow forever lost to Republicans is propaganda, if not outright fantasy. But it will take a more organized effort from the state Dems to overcome the general malaise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio