Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2023, 03:41 PM

14,690 posts, read 14,668,136 times

Advertisements

I don’t want this to be a political discussion & definitely don’t want any opinions of those people from the toxic Politics forum on this website, but genuinely curious about how the refugee situation looks throughout the state these days. Springfield has seen an influx of 5-10,000 Haitian refugees in the past 2-3 years, which is a major change for a city of 60,000. Is this happening with them or refugees from other countries into the state right now?

Old 11-14-2023, 05:32 AM

4,497 posts, read 6,249,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
I don’t want this to be a political discussion & definitely don’t want any opinions of those people from the toxic Politics forum on this website, but genuinely curious about how the refugee situation looks throughout the state these days. Springfield has seen an influx of 5-10,000 Haitian refugees in the past 2-3 years, which is a major change for a city of 60,000. Is this happening with them or refugees from other countries into the state right now?

I cant tell too much of a difference here in Cincinnati except the latino populations in Price Hill, Elmwood Place, and Springdale area have noticibly increased. Theres been an influx of Africans here for years now. So far Cincinnati seems to be absorbing them just fine but of course Cincinnati isnt Chicago where things dont seem like they are working out so well.

Old 11-14-2023, 06:53 AM

169 posts, read 88,871 times
Quote:
Springfield's population has been in decline for 60 years so this is a great thing. More of Ohio needs this.

Old 11-14-2023, 07:40 AM

1 posts, read 3,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
I cant tell too much of a difference here in Cincinnati except the latino populations in Price Hill, Elmwood Place, and Springdale area have noticibly increased. Theres been an influx of Africans here for years now. So far Cincinnati seems to be absorbing them just fine but of course Cincinnati isnt Chicago where things dont seem like they are working out so well.
Ohio is leading in missing children by alot ...Chicago has more press but seriously a thousand in one month is worse then whatever Chicago talks about

Old 11-14-2023, 08:08 AM

189 posts, read 311,520 times
I heard there were a number of refugees from Nepal working manufacturing jobs in the northern Cincinnati area back in 2019 - 2020, pre COVID times. They had official refugee status (and I don't know the particulars of that) but it did allow them to hold a job and get some government benefits. I've been out of touch with my source of this information for over a year so not sure if they are still in the area.

Ohio is not a sanctuary state, though two counties have local laws that make them sanctuaries, in that someone here illegibly won't be turned over to immigration unless they have committed a crime. Those two counties are Hamilton, home of Cincinnati, and Franklin, home of Columbus. Larger liberal cities like Chicago and New York are more in the political spotlight so may be seen as a better target to send busloads of people from the southern border.

I work in construction and have seen a growing number of Hispanics working on commercial plumbing installations. They have been on large projects run by reputable general contractors and don't come across as being recent arrivals in the US. I'm sure they all have different backgrounds, maybe some are refugees, but I doubt that any are got-aways from the southern border working off the books for cash.

Old 11-14-2023, 11:49 AM

251 posts, read 76,456 times
Quote:
Haiti is a huge humanitarian disaster and has essentially been that way since the 2010 earthquake. And it was one of the world's poorest nations even before that. With the recent rise in political and gang violence, largely connected to the existing structural instabilities, it's reached a new level of awful. The situation has largely been ignored by the US and others, and the local government doesn't have the resources or governmental infrastructure to make anything better, so it's no wonder that so many Haitians have been trying to get out in recent years. It's not just the US dealing with them, as Central America and other parts of the Caribbean have been seeing an influx, many probably with the ultimate goal of reaching the US.

Most people who apply for refugee status in the US are ultimately deported. I'm not sure if the ones in Ohio are going to be any different in the long-term, but they certainly have about as strong a case as any to be granted some kind of legal asylum.

I don't really have specific information on the total of refugees in the state or what their overall status is, both in terms of legality and their housing situation. Housing is already in crisis most places due to a lack of construction, NIMBYism, etc.

Old 11-14-2023, 12:59 PM

14,690 posts, read 14,668,136 times
^Yeah, apparently Haiti has no functional government (no parliament or elected president) and no way to hold elections since gangs control large parts of the country, so I figured it was a similar situation to Somalia a couple decades ago when they started pouring into Columbus, Minneapolis etc. I don’t mind them coming over, and yes we do need the population, but the housing crisis needs to be addressed too. There are still so many vacant lots and vacant housing structures in Ohio’s cities that could be rehabilitated if the fed & state were interested.

Old 02-15-2024, 02:31 PM

2,680 posts, read 1,384,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbraybarten653 View Post
Springfield's population has been in decline for 60 years so this is a great thing. More of Ohio needs this.
Springfielder here who wholeheartedly agrees!

Old 02-15-2024, 02:34 PM

2,680 posts, read 1,384,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blickcd View Post
I heard there were a number of refugees from Nepal working manufacturing jobs in the northern Cincinnati area back in 2019 - 2020, pre COVID times. They had official refugee status (and I don't know the particulars of that) but it did allow them to hold a job and get some government benefits. I've been out of touch with my source of this information for over a year so not sure if they are still in the area.

Ohio is not a sanctuary state, though two counties have local laws that make them sanctuaries, in that someone here illegibly won't be turned over to immigration unless they have committed a crime. Those two counties are Hamilton, home of Cincinnati, and Franklin, home of Columbus. Larger liberal cities like Chicago and New York are more in the political spotlight so may be seen as a better target to send busloads of people from the southern border.

I work in construction and have seen a growing number of Hispanics working on commercial plumbing installations. They have been on large projects run by reputable general contractors and don't come across as being recent arrivals in the US. I'm sure they all have different backgrounds, maybe some are refugees, but I doubt that any are got-aways from the southern border working off the books for cash.
Not sure if it is actually an official sanctuary city but Dayton's government has also put forth a great effort to be immigrant friendly.

Old 02-15-2024, 05:39 PM

1,224 posts, read 527,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbrianbush View Post
Not sure if it is actually an official sanctuary city but Dayton's government has also put forth a great effort to be immigrant friendly.
Illegal immigrant friendly? That's a felony.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio