Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2022, 04:36 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,071,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
I hoping for the massive RED WAVE myself. I'll never understand why anyone would want to follow a group like the democrat party who enslaved a entire race and then fought to keep slavery the way they did. And are still using them as vote slave, then never give them a thing to help them out after promising it to them. Very sad.
You do know that the Democrats of the Antebellum era... are today's Republican Party, right? You do know that the parties basically switched beginning in the 1920s or so and completing with the Southern Strategy, right? So if support for slavery 160+ years ago is problematic for you, and it should be, you wouldn't be supporting the GOP. Today's GOP is the "Party of Lincoln" in name only.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2022, 06:07 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,146,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Seems from the results around the rest of the country that Ryan was just a bad candidate. At best, this was a red trickle. A wholly embarrassing outcome for national Republicans that were *so* sure it was going to be a red wave. They completely underestimated anger about the overturing of Roe, and significantly overestimated voters prioritizing inflation, something which Biden and the Dems weren't even responsible for to begin with. Trump also seems to have been a big factor in the losses. Many of his endorsed candidates crapped the bed, and it seems the national electorate may be tiring of the GOP backing lunatics and election deniers. I have to say, that wasn't exactly the outcome I expected, but it sure put a big smile on my face.
Dems may end up not losing either the House or Senate, though the House is less likely, if only by a very small margin. What an incredible outcome for what should have been a GOP slam dunk.

Turnout in blue counties was very low in Ohio, which indicates it's more that the local Democratic Party is terrible, much like they are in some of the other states that GOP did well, such as in Florida. I think Ryan ultimately hurt himself by distancing himself from Biden, but also by trying to act like a moderate Republican instead of a Democrat. Democratic voters want strong, left of center candidates, not wishy-washy conservatives.

That said, even in Ohio, Democrats managed to flip some Republican House seats and won all 5 of the ones that were actually competitive outside of GOP gerrymandering. The entire state overall moved left from 2020 and 2018. This tells me Ohio isn't lost to Dems, they just need better candidates and a much more focused GOTV effort in urban areas, something they have failed to do where Dems in other states are making significant inroads in red areas.

Beyond that, the long-term demographics may be unfavorable to Republicans, despite common perceptions. While Ohio is not a fast-growing state and is still majority white and older by far, what growth it does have are in more Dem-friendly demographics. Red counties in the state were responsible for nearly 88% of the counties that lost population the last decade, adding up to more than 60,000 people leaving those counties. Columbus alone added double that number, and Franklin County added almost 3x it. The vast majority of that growth were non-whites and immigrants. The same is happening in Cincinnati, one of the only other places to be growing in the state. Counties like Delaware are also gradually moving towards the blue side, with Republican margins shrinking just about every election cycle, and it's the fastest-growing county by % in the state. So again, the idea that Ohio is somehow forever lost to Republicans is propaganda, if not outright fantasy. But it will take a more organized effort from the state Dems to overcome the general malaise.
"YAWN"!
And ohio is still RED thank the One and Only True Living God for that.

Old 11-10-2022, 06:08 PM

Quote:
You do know that the Democrats of the Antebellum era... are today's Republican Party, right? You do know that the parties basically switched beginning in the 1920s or so and completing with the Southern Strategy, right? So if support for slavery 160+ years ago is problematic for you, and it should be, you wouldn't be supporting the GOP. Today's GOP is the "Party of Lincoln" in name only.
Oh big YAAAAAWN!!!
Thank the One and Only True Living God that Ohio is still RED!

Last edited by EarthBound?; 11-10-2022 at 06:20 PM..

Old 11-10-2022, 06:37 PM

5,510 posts, read 9,496,310 times
Quote:
Seems from the results around the rest of the country that Ryan was just a bad candidate.
I'm not really into politics, but my understanding is that Ryan received little if any support from the national party. I don't know if their support would have changed the outcome, or just shrunk the margin by which he lost. But I don't think he was a bad candidate.

Old 11-10-2022, 07:51 PM

5,296 posts, read 5,244,793 times
Ohio continues to become as bad as Alabama or Mississippi...I do not understand how anyone could vote for a carpetbagger that doesn't care about Ohio...

Old 11-10-2022, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
Ohio continues to become as bad as Alabama or Mississippi...I do not understand how anyone could vote for a carpetbagger that doesn't care about Ohio...
Atleast it's not Pennsylvania, Michigan, Arizona or Georgia. It's still RED and that's what counts.

Old 11-10-2022, 08:28 PM

5,296 posts, read 5,244,793 times
Quote:
Atleast it's not Pennsylvania, Michigan, Arizona or Georgia. It's still RED and that's what counts.
Those states did this country a great service by not electing Republican Senators

Old 11-10-2022, 09:34 PM

Quote:
"YAWN"!
And ohio is still RED thank the One and Only True Living God for that.
Whistling past the graveyard. I hope you all keep with that attitude, because it's going to cost you more and more down the line. Enjoy at least 2 more years of Democratic control and then a disheveled, divided GOP fighting between DeSantis and Trump in 2024.

Last edited by jbcmh81; 11-10-2022 at 09:47 PM..

Old 11-10-2022, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
I'm not really into politics, but my understanding is that Ryan received little if any support from the national party. I don't know if their support would have changed the outcome, or just shrunk the margin by which he lost. But I don't think he was a bad candidate.
I think it's more the state-level Dems that failed this. Not to say the national party helped as much as they could've. They made mistakes. Another was investing far too much into Florida when races there were never really going to be close, but totally missed how the Wisconsin race where Ron Johnson came extremely close to going down. Hopefully, they learn from some of these mistakes and reallocate resources and improve strategies a bit differently for 2024.

Ultimately, though, the issue still is turnout in blue areas. It sucked in Ohio. Vance won by what, about 265K votes? That's much smaller than past Republican margins, and even much smaller than past Democrats like Brown have gotten. Ohio was totally gettable for Dems, but their GOTV efforts have been pretty bad in the state. I'm not saying Ryan was the worst candidate, but he hurt himself by playing it far too conservatively and likely helped to keep an unenthusiastic Democratic electorate at home.

Old 11-11-2022, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
those states did this country a great service by not electing republican senators
otfrlmao!!!!! I needed a good laugh, that was a great joke.
Now if only we can be like tge great states of Florida and South Dakota. Perhaps we can get that wonderful ladt "Tulsi Gabbard " to come to ohio get things done.
I do get a big kick out of people who don't even live in the Buckeye state but feel the need to impose their views.
Thank you ohio for staying RED.

Last edited by EarthBound?; 11-11-2022 at 03:12 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio