Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2023, 07:14 PM

2,948 posts, read 1,257,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
What kind of papers had German and Italian immigrants, for instance, signed before their arrivals at Ellis Island? I often hope my English immigrant ancestors in South Carolina and Virginia had kinder things to say about my German ancestors who later joined them than the comments I see about immigrants from south of the border. If NYC, with those words inscribed on the Statue of Liberty, isn’t welcoming to immigrants who got there any way they could to escape famine and abuse as immigrants from across the pond did back in the day, where is?
Back then, "help" came from private charities. There was little in the form of public support.

Nowadays, it's virtually all public support. Why do you think this city's budget is $100 billion yet our most important infrastructure is 50+ years old? This city is already a money pit for the welfare class.

If you're so charitable, why don't you shell out some more money to help these migrants?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2023, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Today's welcoming Statue of Liberty quote would read:

"I got mine, go F*** yourself."
Always easy to spend someone else's money. Just curious, how much of your own money and/or time have you donated to this cause?

I have no issue with immigrants. In fact, I believe that we have plenty of room and capacity as a nation for a much larger population and we should be taking in many more legal immigrants than we do.

There needs to be an ROI on immigration. Do you think there's no better source of immigration than these migrants? India? Eastern Europe? Africa? China? Philippines?

This isn't about immigration. It's about domestic political strategy masquarading as a "humanitarian" initiative.

Old 05-21-2023, 07:36 PM

7,319 posts, read 4,115,298 times
Quote:
What kind of papers had German and Italian immigrants, for instance, signed before their arrivals at Ellis Island? I often hope my English immigrant ancestors in South Carolina and Virginia had kinder things to say about my German ancestors who later joined them than the comments I see about immigrants from south of the border. If NYC, with those words inscribed on the Statue of Liberty, isn’t welcoming to immigrants who got there any way they could to escape famine and abuse as immigrants from across the pond did back in the day, where is?
Ellis Island sent back 120,000 immigrants due to political reasons or illness. About 3,500 died at Ellis Island before stepping foot on US. My grandfather was sent back for an eye infection that he probably got on the boat over.

Ellis Island knew who came over, what language spoken, their contacts here and checked their health. There were huge quotas against Chinese, Eastern and Southern Europeans. It isn't like now where record numbers of Chinese are walking over the southern border.

My relative certainly didn't get $500 a night hotel rooms, welfare, healthcare, etc. They came to work. If you didn't work, you starved. There was limited charity in less than luxury setting.

Those words inscribed on the Statue of Liberty were by a poet, Emma Lazarus. She was Jewish and Portuguese - two groups with quotas against them. Her poem was meant for Europeans with a similar culture and value system.

Old 05-21-2023, 07:56 PM

11,402 posts, read 5,960,793 times
LOL. America admits over 600,000 legal immigrants a year. So much for "I got mine..."

Leftists don't understand that we already allow a large number of legal immigrants every year. They want open borders so another 2- 3 million can come in each year, regardless of their literacy, criminal status, work ethic, skills, or health and diseases.

Old 05-22-2023, 03:46 AM

273 posts, read 102,667 times
Quote:
I would imagine if your German ancestors tried to enter the country illegally, transport drugs, and engage in human trafficking; they would have received far WORSE treatment than today's illegal immigrants invading our southern border.

Old 05-22-2023, 04:07 AM

5,803 posts, read 2,930,663 times
European immigrants brought skill, history and culture.
I don’t know anything good that’s coming from down south. And I’m not thrilled with their cuisine. Not even going to mention music. One thing that’s positive is that lot of them are hard working and family oriented. But the whole drug trade coming from there is just not worth the risk.
Border must be closed and people sent back for good.

Old 05-22-2023, 06:38 AM

34,006 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
European immigrants brought skill, history and culture.
I don’t know anything good that’s coming from down south. And I’m not thrilled with their cuisine. Not even going to mention music. One thing that’s positive is that lot of them are hard working and family oriented. But the whole drug trade coming from there is just not worth the risk.
Border must be closed and people sent back for good.
Don't forget the smallpox

Lol

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-22-2023, 07:04 AM

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with the vast majority of individuals coming in. They want a better life just like most immigrants who came to the US.

This is simply a question of mathematics. A barely literate Middle aged woman with children in tow will never be positive ROI for NYC taxpayers so long as we have a welfare state. Housing, food, education , and healthcare all need to be provided. What’s the point of taking in immigrants if they’ll be in one form or another of welfare for their entire lives? It’s not a sustainable model.

Most forget that the illegal immigration from MX in the 80’s and 90s was mainly young, single men. Single men utilise very little welfare because they’re not eligible for much. Hence, they turned out to be positive ROI for NYC.

Old 05-22-2023, 07:11 AM

5,803 posts, read 2,930,663 times
Because American dream is to have a Mercedes and a Porsche and two homes. For that you need cheap labor.
America is pro business not pro people. It was never about people.

Old 05-22-2023, 07:27 AM

34,006 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
Because American dream is to have a Mercedes and a Porsche and two homes. For that you need cheap labor.
America is pro business not pro people. It was never about people.
Atta boy Dave

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City