Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2023, 12:52 PM

10,073 posts, read 14,453,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
It’s growing as we speak. Look at the migrant crisis.

Will be lots of taco stands in few years. A 3rd world city. Glamour is finished.
Yeah, it's certainly a huge issue. I think NYC is commendable with their policy to "guarantee shelter" for folks, though, even if the city is now busting at its seams.

Granted, the huge influx like this is overwhelming, but I think we all have to remember that America was built on immigration and migrants traveling to the country, and maintain that welcoming mindset.

I've personally looked into volunteering as a greeter for people coming off the buses here, to help guide them, set them up, etc.

What I'd like to see, is for a billionaire to step up and build some housing for these folks in the city somewhere.

How a nation treats its most vulnerable and less fortunate is a testament to its greatness, and America has a history of doing just that well.

I know in the last few years a lot of hate and divisive rhetoric has popped up regarding immigrants coming to the US. It's a shame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2023, 12:58 PM

5,831 posts, read 2,950,800 times
Thanks. I needed a good laugh.

Old 05-19-2023, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Thanks. I needed a good laugh.
Glad you see some comedy in other folks' life changing trials and tough challenges.

A holistic, welcoming and caring approach is needed to help solve this issue. Not a "go back where you came from" attitude.

Snarky stubborn stances solve nothing.

Old 05-19-2023, 01:11 PM

3,495 posts, read 1,751,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
With Covid and the pandemic, all cities mostly lost population. The years 2020 - 2022 were brutal for people mostly moving out of big cities, due to fear of catching the pandemic, etc.

I'd expect NYC to grow once again in the future, population-wise.
Yes, the supply and demand for NYC office space will even out in the long run, NYC is still the epicenter of finance and the tech companies are making NYC their hub. No matter where the immigrants live in the U.S., you are paying for them in part with your federal tax dollars. Those tax dollars going to the immigrants will go to supermarkets, restaurants, malls, hotels, etc, so maybe it's not such a bad thing for businesses to have them here, just saying....

When i lived in Florida, so many restaurants would open, but when you went back to eat at one of them again, they were closed, that doesn't happen in NY.

Old 05-19-2023, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Glad you see some comedy in other folks' life changing trials and tough challenges.

A holistic, welcoming and caring approach is needed to help solve this issue. Not a "go back where you came from" attitude.

Snarky stubborn stances solve nothing.
You try your holistic approach and let me know how it works out with the current crisis.
I’ll do my best to make more money to separate myself from this problem.
I came here from a poor country legally and I don’t need my kids wasting time helping others get up. That’s not what life is about.

Old 05-19-2023, 01:51 PM

Quote:
You try your holistic approach and let me know how it works out with the current crisis.
I’ll do my best to make more money to separate myself from this problem.
I came here from a poor country legally and I don’t need my kids wasting time helping others get up. That’s not what life is about.
Good for you man. We can agree to disagree then.

Old 05-19-2023, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Good for you man. We can agree to disagree then.
Fair enough .

Old 05-20-2023, 12:55 AM

3,559 posts, read 2,403,235 times
Anyone find it weird that it seems to be only the nypost posting these articles?

Old 05-20-2023, 03:55 AM

8,697 posts, read 11,086,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
Anyone find it weird that it seems to be only the nypost posting these articles?
other msm are focused on orange man bad theme

Old 05-20-2023, 04:30 AM

106,707 posts, read 108,880,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post
Correction. The city lost 5% of its productive, tax paying population. The welfare class doesn’t leave and keeps growing as a share of NYC residents.
now we agree there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City