Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 06:53 PM

12 posts, read 24,050 times

Advertisements

Or the lack of action
I'm from upstate ny(albany area). I'm only 28 but after going to myrtle beach/conway 2 times a year for the last 3 years, I want to in. Even though I've lived in the same small/crap town for all 28 years.
I've been reading a ton on this forum.
The one thing I cant really find is any good property tax info? I've read about all the crime(lack there of really), cars parked on peoples lawns(lol) and black bike week(which I actually just left MB on the 29th when it started pouring in. Wasn't for my first rodeo though as I was here a full week last time. Not that I havent seen a thong before.
I currently own a house worth about 100k and pay over 3k a year in taxes to watch my street not get plowed, or the sand after winter build up into my own personal beach.
What do you guys pay on taxes for a 100k-200k house?
I was looking for houses right off ocean blv in myrtle beach, but noticed in conway(where my gf's sister is currently going to school) has beautiful, bigger houses for the same price and its only 15 mins away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 10:02 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,881,028 times
Taxes are tied to the assessed value of the house in the form of millage rate. I guess a $150k house would be about $1200 including school tax.

It is explained with equations & definitions here:

Assessor

Old 06-07-2010, 05:54 AM

343 posts, read 727,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baylovers View Post
Taxes are tied to the assessed value of the house in the form of millage rate. I guess a $150k house would be about $1200 including school tax.

It is explained with equations & definitions here:

Assessor

About half of that.

Old 06-07-2010, 10:19 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,788,893 times
Depends on several things. Just to give you an idea; my house is 2000 ht sq ft and I live outside city limits in Conway. My property tax is right now $550 a yr but if I lived in city limits, it would be higher.

Old 06-07-2010, 10:37 AM

1,696 posts, read 8,881,028 times
Rapture, you've owned your home for a few years now, aren't new sales assessed at a higher rate?

Old 06-07-2010, 02:29 PM

Are you guys kidding me? That's almost ridiculously low lol. Ok so I have the whole taxes thing covered. I guess all that's left is sell my house I'm in now and find a job down there.

Old 06-07-2010, 02:39 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,788,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baylovers View Post
Rapture, you've owned your home for a few years now, aren't new sales assessed at a higher rate?
Possibly from when I moved here but the property value has also gone down. I was just letting the OP know if you are outside city limits it will also be less expensive. You may have people shooting off their porch but your taxes will be lower, LOL.

Old 06-07-2010, 05:30 PM

540 posts, read 1,680,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
Possibly from when I moved here but the property value has also gone down. I was just letting the OP know if you are outside city limits it will also be less expensive. You may have people shooting off their porch but your taxes will be lower, LOL.
lol Rapture! The list could go on and on about all of the acceptable forms of behavior down here.

Yes, taxes are definitely less, that I'll give you. But remember that little saying, "you get what you pay for"? Keep that in mind, ESPECIALLY if you have anyone that needs K-12 education.

On a different note, above or below Albany? 1 1/2 hrs south here. Dutchess County.

Old 06-07-2010, 06:48 PM

umm west of albany
johnstown-gloversville-amsterdam area.
People shooting guns off their porch is much better than people caught selling crack two blocks down from my house lol
I live in the highest welfare county in nys. fulton-montgomery county.
This is all good info though. I'm deff leaning more towards conway because of the size of the houses and MB only bein 15 mins away.

You guys that made the move, are you happy?

Old 06-07-2010, 08:40 PM

540 posts, read 1,680,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duesmandella View Post
umm west of albany
johnstown-gloversville-amsterdam area.
People shooting guns off their porch is much better than people caught selling crack two blocks down from my house lol
I live in the highest welfare county in nys. fulton-montgomery county.
This is all good info though. I'm deff leaning more towards conway because of the size of the houses and MB only bein 15 mins away.

You guys that made the move, are you happy?
Honestly? No, I'm not. Had I done my homework, I wouldn't have chosen the MB area. It's one thing to visit a tourist area, totally and completely different to live in one. I am less than impressed with the educational system compared to what I was accustomed to for my oldest son. However, the special ed is far superior (in my experience here, at least).

Well let's see, where I live now... they have a dog fighting problem (dogs are always "disappearing" from people's properties, probably to be used for this we're guessing); they had a major drug bust for 2 kilos of cocaine, and other drugs.

Conway:
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Moderator cut: link removed, please read our terms of service
"As of 2009, Conway's population is 14,989 people. Since 2000, it has had a population growth of 19.24 percent.

The median home cost in Conway is $132,250. Home appreciation the last year has been -8.40 percent. Conway public schools spend $5,947 per student. The average school expenditure in the U.S. is $6,058. There are about 15 students per teacher in Conway.

The unemployment rate in Conway is 14.30 percent(U.S. avg. is 8.50%). Recent job growth is Negative. Conway jobs have Decreased by 8.00 percent."

http://www.city-data.com/city/Conway...-Carolina.html

Last edited by Yac; 01-24-2012 at 06:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area