Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 01:56 PM

540 posts, read 1,680,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neecewh View Post
Ah come on Pburgess, ain't nuttin wrong with Y'all ... I kinda like it ... at least it is not a gender specific phrase used inappropriately to include men, women and children.

I don't mind when others say it, but I don't think it sounds right coming from a northerner lol. My kids would torment the living daylights out of me if I ever uttered it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 07:27 PM

369 posts, read 1,096,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pburgess68 View Post
I don't mind when others say it, but I don't think it sounds right coming from a northerner lol. My kids would torment the living daylights out of me if I ever uttered it!
haha. "Ya'll" was one of the things I picked up while living there. I say it now over here and people kinda look at me different, see the thing is is I didn't pick up the accent so I kinda just probably look silly, but it's habit now! The other thing is Ma'am and Sir. I say those things now and never said them before.

and about the fruits and vegetables I seriously have no clue what the problem was there. it's like, florida peaches, right? well where are they all going!!! ugh I had a horrible time finding the healthy stuff...

but overall I stillllll miss it!! laying out in my backyard just isn't the same... I mean It is a dry heat... but I dont have the ocean to jump in when I get hot

Old 07-17-2010, 07:48 PM

12 posts, read 24,053 times
wow didnt know this thread was still active.
I'm still going to move down there. Been hearing good things about little river area? Or murrells inlet still, that whole area. I'm goin back down at the end of september to check some things out. If all goes the way i want it too i might be able to have a home in both places

Old 07-24-2010, 05:57 AM

7 posts, read 12,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausikaa View Post
What type of visa will be using to live in the US?
Not sure yet, but have made some general enquiries with the US Embassy in London and visas are issued dependent upon the criteria you may meet.

For example, I do not intend to work, therefore, that would obviate the need for a working visa. Neither of us is an asylum seeker, therefore we would not wish to apply for visa under this category. Quite simply we would just like to take the plunge and maybe live in South Carolina. Having said that, this would depend largely on the level of house prices, taxes and general cost of living.

I have been impressed by the debates/exchanges on this thread vis a vis, different areas to reside. Perhaps we should make a visit in the not too distant future to ascertain for ourselves the best area that might suit our needs.

Forgive my ignorance regarding the US tax systems, but grateful if you could maybe answer this question for me? Are individuals/couples required to pay SCHOOL TAXES, even tho' you do not have any children at a US school, private or otherwise?

Maybe one further question - are PROPERTY TAXES montly or annually please?

Old 07-24-2010, 03:59 PM

540 posts, read 1,680,750 times
There are no school taxes in SC. Which is probably why the schools are on the horrible side, in my opinion. They just simply don't have the budget.

Property taxes are yearly if you own a home. When we bought ours, they rolled the taxes into the mortgage via an escrow, so you're always assured of it being paid. I'm guessing, if your income was higher, you may have to pay quarterly.

Old 10-02-2011, 06:03 PM

12 posts, read 24,053 times
Just got back again for the third time this summer. Still wanting to relocate. Just a process of finding a job down there and selling a house here.
How is everyone still feeling about their love/hate down in myrtle beach area? I really like north myrtle beach/little river

Old 10-03-2011, 03:30 PM

124 posts, read 228,123 times
We love it and plan to settle in Little River within the next 2 years.

Old 10-03-2011, 05:42 PM

108 posts, read 227,717 times
We love it too and will be moving to Little River November 28th!

Old 10-03-2011, 07:59 PM

84 posts, read 394,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave in crete View Post
Not sure yet, but have made some general enquiries with the US Embassy in London and visas are issued dependent upon the criteria you may meet.

For example, I do not intend to work, therefore, that would obviate the need for a working visa. Neither of us is an asylum seeker, therefore we would not wish to apply for visa under this category. Quite simply we would just like to take the plunge and maybe live in South Carolina. Having said that, this would depend largely on the level of house prices, taxes and general cost of living.

I have been impressed by the debates/exchanges on this thread vis a vis, different areas to reside. Perhaps we should make a visit in the not too distant future to ascertain for ourselves the best area that might suit our needs.

Forgive my ignorance regarding the US tax systems, but grateful if you could maybe answer this question for me? Are individuals/couples required to pay SCHOOL TAXES, even tho' you do not have any children at a US school, private or otherwise?

Maybe one further question - are PROPERTY TAXES montly or annually please?

Dave in Crete

I was wondering how things are in Greece lately, they seem to be going broke
I have not been back since 1992, but it interests me as to why someone would leave Greece ( Crete )
and consider moving to South Carolina ( not that theres is anything wrong with SC ).

Not trying to get personal I just find it interesting
Were you born on Crete, or did you move there from else where.

In case your wondering, Myrtle Beach is somewhat like the tourist areas in Greece that sit along the beaches
tons of shops selling anything that's multi colored that China can produce
I have made about 8 trips and have stayed in as many areas around as I could
I some day may buy a condo there, but I have lived in the states since 1969
so its not as much of a culture shock to me as I would imagine it may be to you.

To anyone thinking of moving down to Myrtle Beach Sc
some of the things I have noticed are.

Food at supermarkets is a bit more expensive,
and I was shocked that they charged 1% sales tax on it.

Sales tax at restaurants in the city of MB is insane its like 11, or 12%.

Homes and the property tax for them is less expensive than in my area
but the homes we looked at were built with less expensive material than were used too.
( but i would rather pay 4k less a year in taxes, and make upgrades )

The city planing is a bit crazy, there are areas that look like they just build what ever next to what ever
I think its because of growth spurts.

And then theres the tourists, man there everywhere, I MEAN EVERYWHERE !
there are so many that is looks like there leaking out of all the buildings
there all over the beaches, on the sand, in the water, its just a sea of tourists
then when there done they discard half the stuff they bought at Eagles on the beach!

Just messing, all in all its a great place if your kids are grown.

PS: If any one found my 36 inch boogie board it has a picture of Bart Simpson on it, It was not discarded
I forgot it there, and if you found it I would like it back for my return visit next year !

Warning my reply was not checked for
Spelling
Grammar
Punctuation
Word usage
Tenses
Sentence Structure
Capitalization
Correct use of abbreviations

Peace

Old 10-03-2011, 08:39 PM

124 posts, read 228,123 times
mkaz, and you promised me updates on Lafayette Park, right? I hope they're still building by the time we're ready to move down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area