Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 12:05 PM

9 posts, read 28,005 times

Advertisements

Here I am stuck in the back woods of civilization(CONWAY< SC) and trying desperately to depart this hell in the pines and palmettos. After working for 30 years for the Federal Government, I opted to retire in what I thought it was a decent place to live. It is if you are terribly rich, but South Carolina has nothing to offer you but swamps and dead alligators in the black waters of this God forsaken chunk of the antebellum If I was fortunate enough to get employment, I would have been gone long ago

Old 06-08-2011, 12:33 PM

460 posts, read 987,887 times
Sounds like you didn't do any research about which areas of the country would be a good retirement location for you. In which case, you can only blame yourself for being irresponsible. Good luck with your next move.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:37 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,670,088 times
Really?? How many dead alligators have you seen?

Old 06-08-2011, 12:54 PM

1,019 posts, read 2,892,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlblevi View Post
Here I am stuck in the back woods of civilization(CONWAY< SC) and trying desperately to depart this hell in the pines and palmettos. After working for 30 years for the Federal Government, I opted to retire in what I thought it was a decent place to live. It is if you are terribly rich, but South Carolina has nothing to offer you but swamps and dead alligators in the black waters of this God forsaken chunk of the antebellum If I was fortunate enough to get employment, I would have been gone long ago
I think it is a shame that you are not happy here, but I am confused as to why you need to find employment to move since you said you were retired.

I hope it works out and you are able to find some place that better suits you. Good luck.

Old 06-08-2011, 01:02 PM

What sources should I have researched to determine what a dismal place this is to live? Many people move only to determine that the retirement does cut it. I have met quite a number of them. When was the last time you looked for a job. It has been 30 years for me. What a culture shock

Old 06-08-2011, 01:23 PM

460 posts, read 987,887 times
So what did you do? Throw a dart at the map? Just pick Conway at random? Did you just assume you would like like the geography in South Carolina without ever having lived there? Did you spend any time, or take an extended vacation there, before you moved? Do you have any family or friends there? Did you check into the local economy before you moved? Did you put any effort into this retirement move?

I still have about about 6 years until I retire. But for the past two years, I've been researching retirement locations. It's one of the reasons I joined this forum. I'm putting in the effort. I don't expect anyone to do the research for me, and I won't blame anyone (or the area), if I screw up and move somewhere I don't like.

You picked the location. I don't see how you can blame anyone but yourself.

Old 06-08-2011, 01:29 PM

That's all very interesting.....But no local or Senate Members seem to have the least amount of interest in trying to improve this area. Just content in maintaining the sad state of affairs...which would not have been represented by any research I might have been able to do. The research I did misrepresented this area as a utopia for the retired..they failed to mention the rich retired. Everyone from back home know is forewarned about the giant pitfall that SC is.......

Old 06-08-2011, 01:38 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,670,088 times
But seriously, how many dead alligators have you seen? I am very curious!

Old 06-08-2011, 01:39 PM

76 posts, read 193,395 times
collect said aligators
make shoes and or luggage

great job for a retiree!

Old 06-08-2011, 01:51 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,825,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlblevi View Post
...no local or Senate Members seem to have the least amount of interest in trying to improve this area....
And that surprises you??? If you had asked any of us, we would have been glad to tell you that was true. Of course, if you keep moving around trying to find politicians interested in anything other than being re-elected, I'm afraid you're gonna have a tough retirement ahead of you.

But seriously, Muonic asked some excellent questions and you chose to ignore him. Is there a point to this thread, or is it just a b*tch session? I-95 runs both directions...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area