Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 12:00 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,026 posts, read 6,541,995 times

Advertisements

I just finished an excellent book, especially if you are interested in the culture of those growing up in the SC coastal low country: "Beach Music" by Pat Conroy. I plan a trip to the HC Library to grab some of his other books.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 05:32 PM

108 posts, read 227,366 times
I love love love Pat Conroy and have read just about everything he has written. I think Lords of Discipline and Prince of Tides are my favorites.

Old 03-19-2012, 05:53 PM

I plan to read Prince of Tides next. Do most of his books involve South Carolina?

Old 03-20-2012, 05:18 AM

108 posts, read 227,366 times
Yes, his books all center on So. Carolina and some are almost autobiographical. Enjoy! I wish he would write something new. I last read South of Broad but did not enjoy it as much as others..

Old 03-20-2012, 09:37 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,826,297 times
IMO, Conroy ranks as one of the finest contemporary US authors. He does a superb job helping his readers "feel" the good and bad of Southern culture, without all the romantic BS so many Southern writers feel compelled to force into their books.

I enjoyed South of Broad, probably because he made us wait so long for another novel, but mostly because he took me back to a kid growing up in SC in the 60's. His portrayal in this book of Southern, white class divisions was dead on, and painful to recall.

I agree that Beach Music is probably his finest book, but I also recommend The Water is Wide, one of his shortest novels and a fictionalized version of his experiences teaching on a Gullah barrier island. If you enjoy basketball at all, you'll probably enjoy My Losing Season, written about his experiences as a basketball player at the Citadel. Good stuff...

If you're tough and want to see a somewhat different view of Southern life, Rick Bragg's "All Over but the Shoutin' " is a very rewarding read. He's a Pulitzer Prize author who grew up dirt-poor in Alabama then went on to cover major stories for a number of newspapers. One of the most memorable books I've read in a long, long time.

Last edited by PawleysDude; 03-20-2012 at 10:06 AM..

Old 03-20-2012, 11:52 AM

Back to Beach Music ........

Anyone think they know where the fictional town of "Waterford" is? Obviously it is on the coast between Charlston and Georgia. But is Waterford based on a factual town or area??

Old 03-20-2012, 01:10 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,099,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
Back to Beach Music ........

Anyone think they know where the fictional town of "Waterford" is? Obviously it is on the coast between Charlston and Georgia. But is Waterford based on a factual town or area??
Beaufort.

My uncle played baseball with him at the Citadel and he's always been a gifted storyteller.

Old 03-20-2012, 02:15 PM

Now I have a new reason to check out Beaufort some day......... Thanks.

Old 03-20-2012, 02:47 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,670,349 times
tmozer - Read Prince of Tides. It is my favorite of his books. I have read and love them all, but that's the best as far as I'm concerned. Also, you must make a trip to Beaufort. It is charming and lovely with many quaint little places and plenty of dog friendly B & B's, so you can take Otis with you! Several movies have been filmed in some of the big mansion homes down by the water. I won't list them here, but here's a link you can look at: Movie Sites - Beaufort, SC - Enrich Your Coastal Getaway

While you are in Beaufort, make sure to go to Hunting Island State Park. It's very close and is one of the prettiest state parks I've ever seen.

Old 03-20-2012, 05:03 PM

Prince of Tides is on hold at the Surfside Library branch. Looking forward to picking it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area