Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 05:12 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,674,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
Prince of Tides is on hold at the Surfside Library branch. Looking forward to picking it up.
I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. I just might have to read it again after all this talk about it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 09:07 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,122,990 times
Quote:
Prince of Tides is on hold at the Surfside Library branch. Looking forward to picking it up.
After you read the book, rent the dvd. Barbra Streisand and Nick Notle both should have won Oscars for this movie but I'm pretty sure it was up against the Hannibal Lector movie. It is magnificent and follows the book closely.

Fun fact, Barbra Streisand kept calling Pat Conroy because she wanted to buy the book rights and he thought it was one of his smart ass friends playing a joke on him. He ended up hanging up on her several times before his publisher got through to him.

The prologue of the book, he describes the sunset over the marsh and it's prose. Very moving.

Old 03-22-2012, 06:50 AM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,031 posts, read 6,550,081 times
I dropped by the Surfside library branch yesterday. What a nice job they did re-doing it! Anyway, the only Pat Conroy book on the shelves was South of Broad, which I took out. My hold (Prince of Tides) was not in yet.....

I never saw the movie, so I will look for it after I read the book. Thanks.

Old 03-28-2012, 11:49 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,678,621 times
Ok now you have me interested in getting back to some reading.
How about these books by a local lady named Dorothea Benton.
I sent them to my sister and never did read them myself. I think it is about time
to do that also.
The titles are: Isle of Palms ( and gosh do I love that area personally)
Sullivans Island
Plantation
Pawleys Island and ( That most beautiful place)
Shem Creek ( I love Shem Creek a big bunch)

I'm sure many of you have read these books, and I know she has others.
I think I will purchase them again to read for myself.
This state has grown on me big time. Going to these places is so aweinspiring.

Soon, I want to again go to Shem Creek and sit at Vickorys to gaze at the marsh and fishing boats.

Old 03-28-2012, 03:31 PM

I am half way through South of Broad and am enjoying, although I think Beach Music was better. I was a little upset that Mr. Conroy expresses disparising comments about the Myrtle Beach area in South of Broad.

Old 03-28-2012, 06:44 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,831,773 times
Quote:
...I was a little upset that Mr. Conroy expresses disparising comments about the Myrtle Beach area in South of Broad.
He was only expressing a well-known long-time opinion of MB held by many (most?) Chasn locals. Generally, anywhere north of Mt Pleasant is considered "on the other side of the tracks", and would have been a common view for many of the characters in South of Broad.

If you spend any time in the MB forum on tripadvisor.com, you'll become familiar with a trio of Chasn ladies who have dedicated their lives to convincing vacationers that Chasn is the only place along SC's coast worthy of a visit. It's not hard to encounter many other Charlestonian families who hold the same opinion.

This attitude drew attention about 10 years ago, when a Chasn resident wrote a novel called "Redneck Riviera", with the story taking place in MB. The book was poorly written with a shallow plot. It not worth taking the time to read.

Old 03-29-2012, 12:11 PM

Ted, did you know that you can reserve books online through the Horry County Library website? All you have to do is put in your library card number and establish a pin number. After you do that, you can search the catalog and have books put on reserve for you and sent to your local branch when they are available.

Also, if you have a Kindle, Horry county libraries do not have e-books, but as a card carrying member in good standing with Horry county library system, you can also get a library card via the Georgetown county library system, due to a reciprocal agreement. Georgetown county library does have e-books. They may also be available for other electronic devices. I'm not sure about the other devices because the only one I have is a Kindle.

In addition to all of that, there is a program where you can request books from all over. It is called Illiad. I can't remember exactly what that stands for but it starts with Inter Library Loan. Surfside Beach library can tell you more about it and inform you about how to sign up for that service.

Old 03-29-2012, 04:29 PM

Thanks. Knew that (about reserving books using the website) and have used the service. In fact I have reserved Prince of Tides but still awaiting notice it is available. The HC library apparently has some Ebooks available, but apparently not many. I will look into getting a Georgetown Library card. Do you know where the closest branch is to me (I will check online after I leave here)?

Old 03-29-2012, 06:02 PM

I haven't been to it yet, but there is one in Pawleys Island, which I think would be the closest to both of us. I keep meaning to go, but seem to always get distracted with something else.......

I was not aware of any e-books available via HC library. Will have to check with them again about that. Thanks!

Old 03-29-2012, 06:52 PM

Yes, the Waccamaw branch is in Pawleys Island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area