Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 10:18 AM

62 posts, read 169,623 times

Advertisements

Have to put in a good word for one other Conroy novel not mentioned above, "The Great Santini"...later adapted to a movie of the same name staring Robert Duval and Blythe Danner. BTW, Duvall supposedly took shag lessons from NMB residents Charlie Womble and Jackie McGee while in the area filming "Days of Thunder". A bit off topic but local trivia nevertheless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2012, 10:29 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,642,454 times
We went on vacation to Hilton Head Island and took a commercial boat ride to Daufuskie Island, South Carolina. You may want to google the island for information first. It was very interesting.

Libraries have a service called Interlibrary loan and they can probably get you any of the Pat Conroy books that way if they still do not have them in stock.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_Conroy

Old 04-02-2012, 10:24 AM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,031 posts, read 6,547,614 times
Re: Georgetown Library Card

Good Morning Ted,Thank you very much for your email. Please forgive the late reply. I was out of town on Friday and was encumbered with business matters this weekend.I am glad that you have learned of our reciprocal arrangement with Horry County. We want to serve especially folks who are live the county line like you, although others can apply, too.To obtain a card, just bring your driver's license or another such photo I.D. Since you have the Horry County library card already, please provide that, too. The process involves our contacting Horry to make sure that you are in good standing with that library system. Then, we will issue you our card on the spot, and you will become a customer of our library system.In December 2014, we will be opening a new Waccamaw Neck Branch Library, which should prove to be a great asset for you. We also have some online services that might interest you now. Please check our website for more details about our hours, sites, and offerings: http://georgetowncountylibrary.sc.gov/Pages/default.aspx .Thanks again for contacting me. If I can ever assist you, please be sure to let me know.Sincerely,DwightDwight McInvaillDirector, Georgetown County Librarydmcinvaill@gtcounty.org545-3304

Old 04-04-2012, 07:41 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,116,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
I am half way through South of Broad and am enjoying, although I think Beach Music was better. I was a little upset that Mr. Conroy expresses disparising comments about the Myrtle Beach area in South of Broad.
I've said this before and I'll say it again, the rest of the state thinks that Myrtle Beach residents are carnival people. Myrtle Beach has always been the joke of the state.

Growing up, when we'd go shopping downtown Charleston, my mother would never let me tell people we were from Myrtle Beach. To this day I still don't.

Surfside, MI, Pawleys, Litchfield, Conway, etc is fine just not MB.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:02 AM

1,322 posts, read 3,475,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
Ok now you have me interested in getting back to some reading.
How about these books by a local lady named Dorothea Benton.
I sent them to my sister and never did read them myself. I think it is about time
to do that also.
The titles are: Isle of Palms ( and gosh do I love that area personally)
Sullivans Island
Plantation
Pawleys Island and ( That most beautiful place)
Shem Creek ( I love Shem Creek a big bunch)

I'm sure many of you have read these books, and I know she has others.
I think I will purchase them again to read for myself.
This state has grown on me big time. Going to these places is so aweinspiring.

Soon, I want to again go to Shem Creek and sit at Vickorys to gaze at the marsh and fishing boats.
I agree with Summering to give Dorothea Benton Frank a try. I discovered her by accident this winter and truly enjoyed her books! She was a welcome break from murder,political corruption and vampire bites!

Old 04-04-2012, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I've said this before and I'll say it again, the rest of the state thinks that Myrtle Beach residents are carnival people. Myrtle Beach has always been the joke of the state.

Growing up, when we'd go shopping downtown Charleston, my mother would never let me tell people we were from Myrtle Beach. To this day I still don't.

Surfside, MI, Pawleys, Litchfield, Conway, etc is fine just not MB.
And yet when I tell people in Florida or NJ where our SC Townhouse is, I say Murrells Inlet and then usually have to say "It's south of Myrtle Beach".

If Conroy's books and characters are accurate depictions of Charleston people, I'm happy to live near Myrtle Beach!

Old 04-08-2012, 02:32 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,023,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
Prince of Tides is on hold at the Surfside Library branch. Looking forward to picking it up.

Excellent book & the movie w/Barbara Streisand & Nick Nolte is just as good.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:42 AM

I just started The Prince of Tides this morning (nothing better to do on a rainy day back in NJ). Like the other two Conroy books I read, it is well written and entertaining. I am sure I will enjoy reading it. However it seems he keeps repeating his characters and circumstances. This seems to be a third version of a similar story.........

Old 05-09-2012, 01:25 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,673,360 times
Default Repetitions

Hi Ted, FWIW - it's a rainy day here in SC, too!

Anyway, for the most part I do agree with your opinion about him repeating characters and circumstances, but I also think that many authors do the same thing. Most people it seems, write about what they know. His themes seem to mainly revolve around an extremely troubled person and how they interact with their family members, intermingled with his beautiful descriptions of the low country. Even so, he is one of my favorite writers. His command and knowledge of the English language is astounding at times. I have learned many new words due to his amazing vocabulary.

I hope you enjoy Prince of Tides. It is one of my all time favorite books.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area