Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 06:15 PM

15 posts, read 63,221 times

Advertisements

Thanks, Dawne. We are aware of some of the same businesses there. He works for United Rentals, the biggest aerial lift company in the states and Canada. There is a branch in MB, but not sure he will be able to transfer so am looking at options. We are going there soon and he will check things out. If anyone has an inside scoop on a job opening, please let me know. That's the difficult thing about moving for him, he was born and raised in the area we now live and he has a lot of contacts, and won't know anyone there. I think he will take a cut in pay, but we are willing to do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2010, 08:21 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,881,028 times
A friend of mine worked for United Rentals but was laid off over a year ago. I hope they have turned things around & find work for your husband.

Old 07-06-2010, 03:38 PM

540 posts, read 1,680,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawne View Post
jem, have your husband check the industrial rental companies, such as Neff Rentals and Sunbelt Rentals. They seem to be hiring fairly often. Of course, maybe the high turnover is due to low pay and crappy benefits, but it's probably worth a look.
My ex hubby used to work for Sunbelt. They pay HORRIBLY. Promise you the world and then back out on it. Like Dawne said, they have a very high turnover rate as well, for the exact same reasons I just stated.

Look elsewhere if you want to work.

Old 07-06-2010, 08:48 PM

369 posts, read 1,096,410 times
I'm a west coaster... and I loved MB. I miss it every day. EVERY SINGLE DAY! Now let me say this... what did I miss about it? THE BEACH I lived there almost a year, and since moving back west last July, I have been back to MB 5 times. costly! A lot of people are saying it is much different to visit a place than to live, that is so true, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't live in a touristy area. however it all depends. I lived right across from the beach on the north end of MB... therefore I didn't have to deal with summer traffic as bad as those that drive in it all the time. I also worked at home... I got to enjoy so much while I was there. But like someone else said, there are pros and cons everywhere you live, what is your ultimate goal? Would I love to move back there? In a heartbeat... but only if the situation was right, the house was right... the job was right... etc. There are a lot of things I missed back home when I lived there though too. I mean, brazilian bikini waxes are illegal in south carolina ILLEGAL?? yea. well. that's highly irritating living at the beach ! Plus I have to say the fruits and vegetables are just not as good as they are over here...

I really loved MB, but I was single with no kids and kind of living up a little dream of mine. Now that I'm back to reality, I think a main reason I miss MB so badly is because it wasn't "real life" so to speak... not sure if that makes sense...

Oh yea, to the OP, you kept saying that your GF's sister goes to school in Conway. Where? Do you mean Coastal Carolina that is considered Conway, but kind of really in between MB and Conway? Carolina Forest is right there and is a cute little community, but possibly more expensive than you are looking for.

I would choose to live in Conway simply for the land for my dogs to roam around on. However if I had a choice I'd take less land and closer to the beach. It all depends on your lifestyle, personality, and what you want!

Old 07-08-2010, 05:25 PM

YES!!! I agree about the fruits and veggies!!! Please tell me how that makes sense! One would think produce would be better down south!!!

Old 07-12-2010, 08:05 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,853,675 times
Quote:
You guys are almost making me rethink the move.
Well, the very first thing you need to learn is that when you're talking to people in the Carolinas, it's NOT "you guys", it's Y'ALL!!

Old 07-14-2010, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Well, the very first thing you need to learn is that when you're talking to people in the Carolinas, it's NOT "you guys", it's Y'ALL!!

Unless you have grown up somewhere else...I still say "you guys". Will NEVER say y'all. Unless of course, I'm suffering from some debilitating disease that eats away at my brain and makes me unlearn everything I've ever known about speach...

Old 07-14-2010, 12:51 PM

1,019 posts, read 2,895,339 times
Ah come on Pburgess, ain't nuttin wrong with Y'all ... I kinda like it ... at least it is not a gender specific phrase used inappropriately to include men, women and children.

Old 07-14-2010, 01:26 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,835,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pburgess68 View Post
Will NEVER say y'all. Unless of course, I'm suffering from some debilitating disease that eats away at my brain and makes me unlearn everything I've ever known about speach...
Probably best. It don't go well with constant complainin'... Do those debilitating diseases also get rid of annoying accents?

Old 07-14-2010, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
Probably best. It don't go well with constant complainin'... Do those debilitating diseases also get rid of annoying accents?
I wouldn't know, I still suffer thru listening to them myself! Seriously tho, it's just a culture shock for both sides to listen to accents they aren't accustomed to. For me, it's like listening to a foreign language, especially those who speak faster than I do.

I only complain where it's needed. There ARE some decent things about the south, and those things I say positive things about. However, it's pointless to lie and pretend it's all peaches and cream when it isn't. Unless you're into that sort of thing, of course. I'd rather people know both sides instead of just one, something that wasn't done for me. People painted the south as a perfect place to live when it was far from it. I tried really hard to convince my kids it would be a good move. I came down with a positive attitude...blindly...and I truly regret not doing my homework before coming here.

I think if I was a retiree with lots of income, it wouldn't be an issue. Or if I just liked golf, and had lots of income to be able to afford that hobby, again, it wouldn't be an issue. But my hobbies require me to get my supplies online since hardly anything can be found here, unless I want to go to Charleston, or back up north to get them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area