Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 08:47 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,887,592 times

Advertisements

I have been happy with the move and every time I go back to NY I am reminded why we moved. The Waccamaw schools have been good. My wife & I were both fortunate to find employment locally that we both like, although salaries are a fraction of what we were earning up north. All things relative.

I was surprised last week, though, when my wife said that she would move back to NY if I kicked the bucket. I guess she misses her family more than I thought. I also know that I am worth much more dead than alive... so she could afford it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 07:57 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,800,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duesmandella View Post
umm west of albany
johnstown-gloversville-amsterdam area.
People shooting guns off their porch is much better than people caught selling crack two blocks down from my house lol
I live in the highest welfare county in nys. fulton-montgomery county.
This is all good info though. I'm deff leaning more towards conway because of the size of the houses and MB only bein 15 mins away.

You guys that made the move, are you happy?
I hate to say it but there are probably people selling crack not too far from me too. There are bad parts of Conway and Myrtle Beach with a lot of drugs and crime. No matter where you go there are pros and cons.

I wouldn't say happy but I can see the benefits and positives. It's a big change and can take a long time to get use to those changes. Especially if you moved from a city area and are moving to a town like Conway. The weather here is great, nice trees, birds and low taxes. Those are the things I like and I'm enjoying. If I could do it over I would have moved to the Surfside/Murrells Inlet area. I noticed the people that moved there and post on here seem to be the most happy with their move. When house prices go back up (if I stay here) I would really like to sell my house and move to Surfside. Conway takes a lot of getting used to unless you are coming from a rural area I guess.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:47 AM

540 posts, read 1,682,279 times
Yesterday Yahoo posted the top 10 places to live with families. Myrtle Beach area was no where to be found.

Listen, it's a tourist town. Conway is just a stones throw away. Consider it an extension of the MB area. They get the traffic (I drive thru it daily), they have the crime (I live a few mins away), but it's more like a small town. They redid the downtown and it's WONDERFUL, great place to shop during the day. Lots of history, a nice river walk to stroll down or take pictures, etc.

Tourist towns are great to visit. But they are in no way shape or form, the same to live in. The weather here is phenominal, however. BUT, I sure do wish we had a spring lol Winter...summer...fall. A few weeks under 80 sure doesn't count as spring to me!!!

Old 06-08-2010, 01:14 PM

7 posts, read 12,341 times
Default Conway area

Well what chance as a "northerner" from the North of England got (arriving from Crete (Greece)) if I can't muscle in on the beauty of South Carolina????

Seriously Linda and I are looking to purchase a property in South Carolina having had enough of paying 1 Euro and 80 cents for a LITRE yes LITRE of petrol (gas)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looking forward to much friendly banter on this site together with the odd disagreement.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:23 PM

12 posts, read 24,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
I hate to say it but there are probably people selling crack not too far from me too. There are bad parts of Conway and Myrtle Beach with a lot of drugs and crime. No matter where you go there are pros and cons.

I wouldn't say happy but I can see the benefits and positives. It's a big change and can take a long time to get use to those changes. Especially if you moved from a city area and are moving to a town like Conway. The weather here is great, nice trees, birds and low taxes. Those are the things I like and I'm enjoying. If I could do it over I would have moved to the Surfside/Murrells Inlet area. I noticed the people that moved there and post on here seem to be the most happy with their move. When house prices go back up (if I stay here) I would really like to sell my house and move to Surfside. Conway takes a lot of getting used to unless you are coming from a rural area I guess.
I was just thinking conway mainly because of the gf's sister living and going to school there. If there are other area's close and less crime and crack I would deffinately consider those. I'm not coming from a big city, thats why I kinda liked the look of conway for the most part. But if I have to spend money to stay in a better place I'll do it.

You guys are almost making me rethink the move.
heres my pro's cons so far
pro's-
weather all year around, no f'n snow unless its a dusting.
low low taxes
beach-ocean right in reach
good restaurants and shopping everywhere

cons-
crime seems to be the same because people are scumbags everywhere(can't hide from that I guess)
schooling, which I kinda new, thats all we hear about up north is how bad the schooling is down south
new area so i dont know everyone like i do now. which sketches me out a little.
hurricanes lol

Old 06-08-2010, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pburgess68 View Post
Honestly? No, I'm not. Had I done my homework, I wouldn't have chosen the MB area. It's one thing to visit a tourist area, totally and completely different to live in one. I am less than impressed with the educational system compared to what I was accustomed to for my oldest son. However, the special ed is far superior (in my experience here, at least).

Well let's see, where I live now... they have a dog fighting problem (dogs are always "disappearing" from people's properties, probably to be used for this we're guessing); they had a major drug bust for 2 kilos of cocaine, and other drugs.

Conway:
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Moderator cut: link removed, please read our terms of service
"As of 2009, Conway's population is 14,989 people. Since 2000, it has had a population growth of 19.24 percent.

The median home cost in Conway is $132,250. Home appreciation the last year has been -8.40 percent. Conway public schools spend $5,947 per student. The average school expenditure in the U.S. is $6,058. There are about 15 students per teacher in Conway.

The unemployment rate in Conway is 14.30 percent(U.S. avg. is 8.50%). Recent job growth is Negative. Conway jobs have Decreased by 8.00 percent."

https://www.city-data.com/city/Conway...-Carolina.html
wow judging by that site. Gloversville has less crime than conway(even with the higher population). Im kinda shocked by that. Looks like im looking more murrels inlet now
keep the info coming guys/girls i appreciate it

Last edited by Yac; 01-24-2012 at 06:38 AM..

Old 06-08-2010, 10:54 PM

1,113 posts, read 3,500,713 times
Quote:
I was just thinking conway mainly because of the gf's sister living and going to school there. If there are other area's close and less crime and crack I would deffinately consider those. I'm not coming from a big city, thats why I kinda liked the look of conway for the most part. But if I have to spend money to stay in a better place I'll do it.

You guys are almost making me rethink the move.
heres my pro's cons so far
pro's-
weather all year around, no f'n snow unless its a dusting.
low low taxes
beach-ocean right in reach
good restaurants and shopping everywhere

cons-
crime seems to be the same because people are scumbags everywhere(can't hide from that I guess)
schooling, which I kinda new, thats all we hear about up north is how bad the schooling is down south
new area so i dont know everyone like i do now. which sketches me out a little.
hurricanes lol

Just remember: "low low taxes" mean "low low government services". You get what you pay for. Don't move to SC if you are low-income!

Old 06-09-2010, 06:27 AM

Thats fine
better than super high taxes going to everyone that can sit on their ass and collect welfare and get free health benefits.
I'll take low taxes and enjoy MY extra money from it

Old 06-09-2010, 09:38 AM

3,115 posts, read 7,149,540 times
Quote:
Thats fine
better than super high taxes going to everyone that can sit on their ass and collect welfare and get free health benefits.
I'll take low taxes and enjoy MY extra money from it
No kidding! That was a great perk to living there. Trust me, from someone whose husband worked for the county, they have plenty of money.

The main difference (low-taxes-local-government-spending-wise) someone coming from the north or a bigger city will notice is lack of parks, libraries, and sports fields. The schools are really not that bad.

Dues, I lived there for 7 years and never experienced any crime. It's really concentrated in a couple of areas, and generally as long as you avoid those areas, you won't have to worry about it. The crime statistics for the MB area are so skewed b/c of the tourism.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:41 AM

1,019 posts, read 2,899,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
If I could do it over I would have moved to the Surfside/Murrells Inlet area. I noticed the people that moved there and post on here seem to be the most happy with their move. When house prices go back up (if I stay here) I would really like to sell my house and move to Surfside. Conway takes a lot of getting used to unless you are coming from a rural area I guess.
I am definitely one of those people. I LOVE IT! If someone were to offer me a million dollars to move back to MD I would tell them to keep it, I ain't moving.

Quote:
duesmandella posted: Thats fine better than super high taxes going to everyone that can sit on their ass and collect welfare and get free health benefits. I'll take low taxes and enjoy MY extra money from it
I tried to stop myself from responding to this, but come on. Are you kidding me? You better hope that life always treats you kind or that statement may come back and bite ya in the you know what!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area