Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 05:38 PM

8 posts, read 20,781 times

Advertisements

Rather than start a new thread I thought I'd pull this one out of the grave:

My wife and two sons (well one is still in the oven!) will be relocating to the Myrtle Beach area. We currently live in Florence SC, so MB is familiar to us but not from a residential perspective.

Emmen's is one of a few neighborhoods on our hot list. We really like being within biking distance of the beach and all the activities at Market Commons. We were initially interested in Sweetgrass, but just found that their layouts made poor use of space. There are a couple of Lennar layouts that catch our eye, but we have a couple of reservations.

The first is with Myrtle Beach Elementary thru high school. I know they aren't the best schools in the area when you look at test scores, but from my experience test scores don't paint the full picture. So my question is are the Myrtle Beach Schools safe and will my children have the same opertunities as students at Carolina Forest or St James.

My second question pertains to the quality of the builds at Emmen's. There are a lot of bad reviews for Lennar on the internet, but I can also appreciate that they build a lot of houses and a large portion of the quality depends on the local crew. So if anyone can speak to the quality of the houses going up in Emmen's it would be a huge help in making this decision.

And finally, the question that shalt not be spoke of... demographics! Probably one of the most important questions for a homebuyer, yet no official can legally answer it. Look I have nothing against retirees, I hope to be one some day, but they don't want my noisy, dirty, splashing in the pool kids messing up their permanent vacation just as much as we would prefer to have another young family to share in the trials a tribulations of child rearing. The other part of this equation is seasonal residents and renters, but more so seasonals. We don't mind a health mix, but at the same time we don't want to be the only folks who's kids don't have kids and we don't want a place that is going to turn into a ghost town every October.

So to wrap up this way too verbose post:
- How bad are Myrtle Beach schools?
- What is the construction quality like on the Lennar homes?
- What is the demographic in the neighborhood: families v. retired, permanent v. seasonal.

Thanks Everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 06:46 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,039,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch4rliehus7le View Post
- What is the construction quality like on the Lennar homes?
- What is the demographic in the neighborhood: families v. retired, permanent v. seasonal.
Charlie - Lennar certainly seems to be targeting families, as they even have a couple of models with built-in in-law quarters.

The location near the MB State Park looks good, but it raises questions. How much traffic is there in the summer on the road to the park?

How much noise is there from the airport?

Old 05-24-2012, 01:01 PM

1 posts, read 2,235 times
My family (we have young children) recently moved to Emmen's Preserve.
It seems a bit heavy on the retiree side, but that just may be the street we live on, plus the community isn't half-way built yet. We like that it is quiet and everyone is friendly.

We are close to the beach and have state park passes. No issue with traffic, yet.

We looked at several new home communities before buying and Lennar houses had the best floor plans and details for the money. I really liked how most of what we wanted was included in the home instead of having to pay extra for pricey upgrades. So far, we are pleased with the quality. Our buyer's agent was impressed, and she works with custom builders, too.

No real airport noise. We are not in the flight path. Occasional military plane.

My kiddos are too young for school, so I can't comment on the school system. I have co-workers that went to CF and had kids there, and didn't really care for the experience.

Old 04-06-2014, 07:25 AM

638 posts, read 993,554 times
I know this thread is old,but I have a recent update. We have been looking in Market Common for years in preparation for our lifestyle change for retirement. We are in Wilmington,N.C. now so we are only about an hour and a half away and have been visiting regularly. Of all the homes and developments,we have just chosen Emmens Preserve in the new section they are just now starting called Monarch. We were down there again yesterday and they have made much progress in clearing the land and are suppose to start pre-selling next month. They are only building ten homes at a time and there will be 88 homes when complete. We have been in the community many times and every time,we have been impressed by how quiet and peaceful it is. We have chosen one of the Coastal Collection models and feel it is well worth the money for the details and size. We are VERY excited about our future there!

Old 04-08-2014, 04:44 PM

810 posts, read 1,181,713 times
Do you know how much taxes are for the properties? I am getting conflicting info. I thought around $1000 a year and now someone mentioned almost $3000! That's a big difference. Thanks

Old 04-08-2014, 06:03 PM

790 posts, read 1,621,451 times
If you're a SC resident...$1000. If you're a resident of another state and using the house as a retirement or vacation home...$3000.

Old 04-09-2014, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saralvr View Post
Do you know how much taxes are for the properties? I am getting conflicting info. I thought around $1000 a year and now someone mentioned almost $3000! That's a big difference. Thanks
I can't remember the percentage......will have to look it up,but it is very low and reasonable. The tourist tax offsets what residents have to pay in property taxes. Also, if you are 65,you get a homestead exemption of $25,000.00 which brings it down even more. The property taxes also includes garbage pickup and recycling. I will look up the percentage of property value and get back to you,but the $1,000(lower if you get exemption)is pretty accurate. As someone already stated,if you are not a permanent resident,you pay a whole lot more.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:32 AM

Quote:
I found something even better for you that the realtor gave us to use which will tell you everything you need to know about your taxes......this website Mbtaxcal.com.

Old 04-09-2014, 05:26 PM

810 posts, read 1,181,713 times
Thank you very much for the info. Lover of Animals, I appreciate the site you sent. I am sure you will be very happy in MC!

Old 04-10-2014, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Thank you very much for the info. Lover of Animals, I appreciate the site you sent. I am sure you will be very happy in MC!
My pleasure! Yes,that is a good site and very helpful. Yes,we are so ready for a lifestyle change in Market Common/Emmens Preserve. It will be awhile before we'll actually be living there,but I'm sure it will be well worth the wait!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area